Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Just a Few Thoughts

So, sometime in the future we can expect to see products harvested from cloned animals on the shelves, dairy case, and meat section of our local grocery stores. Or will we? There is no requirement such products carry a special label informing us it a cloned product, so we may never know if what we are buying is cloned or not.

The government says it is safe, but (regardless of your political ilk) how many of you really trust the government?!?

I just wonder how economically advantageous it is to switch to cloned products. Seems to me the costs are going to be the same, maybe even higher. What say some of you subject matter experts? Makes me also wonder why rabbits aren't a popular food item. They are so prolific we wouldn’t need to replicate them.

I like the science that has gone into cloning and stem cell research. Heck some of God’s creatures for centuries have been able to grow lost limbs back. He hasn’t cast them off to perdition, why would he do it to us. After all if we accept what the Bible says, we are made in his image. If it is OK for him to do it, why not us? The older I get, the stronger I feel about this. I might need a new liver in a year or two, sure would be nice to get something that came from me rather than something from one of you who have abused yours as bad as I have mine!

How many of you have ever worked with or for someone is was a real AH? I have….several times. Damn, there are probably people who I know that even consider me an AH! I’m not so sure I would like to see any of them cloned. It would give new meaning to the cliché, “What’s this world coming to?”!!!

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Question?????what is the difference between a clone and a identical twin????? other than the manner in which they are conceived..After hearing about this cloning stuff on TV that thought came to mind.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gosh! I hope they don't make two of me. (I know DW would agree)
===================
From Wikipedia:
"Cloning is the process of creating an identical copy of something. In biology, it collectively refers to processes used to create copies of DNA fragments (molecular cloning), cells (cell cloning), or organisms. The term also encompasses situations whereby organisms reproduce asexually."

From Dictionary.com:
"cloned, clon·ing.
–noun
1. Biology.
a. a cell, cell product, or organism that is genetically identical to the unit or individual from which it was derived.
b. a population of identical units, cells, or individuals that derive from the same ancestral line."
=================================
So, being identical, the only problem I can foresee is that what ever the "mother cell" had as a disease would be carried over into the clone. A bad piece of beef off of a cow is still going to be a bad piece of beef, but a good tenderloin is still going to be a good tenderloin.

I would like to see it labeled and people have a choic.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So..what is the difference between a clone and a Identical twins. Identical twins have exactly the same DNA so is that not a clone???? Should we label one of the identical twins??
Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

So..what is the difference between a clone and a Identical twins. Identical twins have exactly the same DNA so is that not a clone???? Should we label one of the identical twins??
Rich, that point was kind of addressed in an article this week's edition of The Economist about this issue. The article, "Son of Frankenfood" cites..."It's just like having an identical twin, born at a different time," says one researcher.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Things can get very complicated can't they. The clone, Identical twin question intrigues me.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I only know one thing and that is "This world could not handle a clone of me."
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 AM   #8
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Maybe our clones could pay the taxes and our bills while we play!! Now that I would agree with.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote