Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Brake Controller Update

Hello All,

Well, we set out on our trip July 4th (4am) and wouldn't you know it, the darn brakes grabbed again. Same problem, right blinker caused trailer brakes to grab with each blink. We managed to get contact at the plug and we made the decision to go on with the trip. Let me tell you, it was nerve wracking wondering if they would act up again. My husband would turn the right blinker on (when safe) every once in a while to check. We made it to our destination and had a mechanic take a look at the RV park. He looked it all over and found no reason for it to be happening. We took the plug in and out several times and it did once for one brief second. The guy said we "should" be ok....

We take off Sunday for home and I'm fretting. I would think that if you are traveling at a 55 - 60 MPH, you would not want the trailer to lock up! We are in Williams, AZ off the 40 and we have to take Cajon Pass (steep grade) to get home (unless we go the long way via 17 to the 10). I am a worrier by nature, but this is horrible!

We are wondering if it is the controller, but it is hard to believe when it corrects itself when you fiddle with the plug in the back of the truck!

I am praying it will hold up for us. We will take it back to the dealer and this time insist that they go over it with a fine tooth comb. The last guy (service tech, not the mechanic) just wanted to pass us off by only sticking a tester in the plug....amazing how they can take such a dangerous thing so lightly!

Do you think we should insist they rewire the whole thing? I am thinking we should mark the wires to be sure they actually did it (don't trust them)! Can we take it to another dealer (this is warranty)? I don't want to go RVing when I have to worry about the brakes....not having fun, hotel travel is looking better and better! Guess I just want to vent my fear....it seems like we have had one thing after another (mostly small, but this really adds to it)!

On a good note, the refrigerator is working great and the A/C is working it's little heart out, but we are holding at 73 degrees! It is hotter then heck here!

Be safe everyone,
Sue

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Are you saying it sometimes grabs when the right blinker is on EVEN though you are not stepping on the brake pedal? That has to be a short in the electrical system. Keep in mind it could be on the Montana side, too, not just on the truck side.

Good luck. This has to be a very frustrating and perplexing problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Who installed the 7 way plug in the truck, along with the brake controller? Also had you used your brake controller with another trailer?

If the dealer installed the 7 way and brake controller, you should return to your dealer and leave it with them until they get it right.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Good Morning,

To answer both your questions:

1. Yes, the brakes grab on the trailer (very hard) when right blinker is on even though the truck brakes are not pressed. You should see and feel the trailer rock and roll around a right turn!

2. Yes, we used the controller on 2 other trailers prior to this one in the same truck. The dealer installed the 7 way where we bought the Monty. We took it to them and the service manager guy that takes your complaint "looked" at it with a 7 way tester on the truck and said we were "ok". We trusted him because by then we had it running good, or at least we thought. At that point it was considered dirty contacts. We all know now that is not true and I have a feeling it is going to be a battle to get them to accept responsibility.

Thank Goodness we are able to get a good connection by fiddling with it and we are able to go on our way. We have no reason to believe it will not again....we are crossing our fingers. I guess if it doesn't, we will have it towed.

We had a mechanic look at it at the RV camp here and he couldn't find anything either! He opened the king pin cover area, looked under the truck and couldn't find anything crossed or exposed. We are not sure if he was an expert though, he was all we could get! VERY frustrating.

We are thinking about having a Prodigy installed and asking them to re-wire EVERYTHING. We are wondering if the controller can create such a problem.

Well, we are off to Sedona for the day and trying not to worry about it (without the trailer).

Take care all,
Sue
Old 07-06-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sue-

Hate to say it, but the last post that said you had it fixed (cleaned contacts) I knew wasn't a fix. Dirty contacts do not cause a direct short between contacts.

It is going to be a fight, but they need to find the problem or re-wire the whole thing. There is only one possible way the turn signal is causing the brakes to engage, and that is the turn signal wire is contacting the trailer brake wire somewhere between the controller and the rear receptacle. It is not the brake controller itself. They just screwed something up.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
What Brad said.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
I agree,they need to make this right! What I don't understand is if the wires are crossed, how come we can get it to work properly after fiddling (plugging and unplugging)? It worries me that it could just cross and stay crossed! I hate this....can't wait to just get it home safe and sound.

Thank you for your suggestions and support. Everyone is so helpful on this forum. We will keep you updated!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Someone suggested that it might be the trailer. Try to apply 12vdc to the right turn signal on the trailer 7-way plug (not connected to the TV) Then drive slow and see if the trailer brakes lock up.

Another option would be to check the TV 7-way plug connector. Turn on the right turn signal and then check the TV 7-way plug connector to see if there is any voltage to the brake pin.

That way you should be able to determine if is in the trailer or TV.

JMHO, hope this helps. Please let us know the results.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just from what you described "fiddling with the plug" would tell me the short is in the receptacle. It also just happens to be that the brake controller wire and right turn signal lugs are right next to each other inside that receptacle.

It is one tight mess inside that receptacle and only takes a couple of wire strands outside the terminal to cause the problem. I would start (and most likely end) right there.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:45 AM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with Brad and that is why it stops when you wiggle it around. Then the road vibration will cause it to touch again.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, I don't think it's the controller. The controller doesn't know nor care that the turn signal is on. It has to be in the wiriing either in the truck or in the part of the Montana before the brake wires split off from the rest of the wires.

Keep in mind it is possible there are wires shorting in the Montana. The turn signal on the Montana is triggered by the truck's turn signal turning on. The wire that carries that signal clear to the back of the Montana may be touching the wire carrying the brake signal to the brakes. It makes sense those wires are routed together as far back as the axle. Since you're having no luck finding the problem in the truck, I'd start looking at the Montana, from the axles forward.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Thank you everyone for your help. Just to let you all know, we made it from Williams all the way down Cajon Pass (steep grade), white knuckler for me! My husband is Mr. Calm, but I was not going to rest until we were at the bottom of that hill!

We got as far as our exit (370 miles) and the darned thing gave out again! Same ole problem.... We "fiddled" and got it going. We are making that call to the dealer in the morning. We will follow up with your suggestions and if we have to, we will stand over their shoulder to make sure it is being done! This isn't something you just put a bandaid on and send the customer off into the unknown!

We'll keep you posted....for now I am happy to be home!

Sue

Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You might have to remind them there is a potential huge liability problem here.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
OK Everyone! I contacted the dealer yesterday and asked for the manager in charge of service. I was geared up to feed him the riot act when much to my surprise he listened and agreed! I told him I was not happy with the lack of service and concern for such a serious issue. I can still hear him say "well, I would be more worried if the emergency brake slide lever on the Voyager didn't work". I hate to get anyone in trouble, but that guy needs to be talked to! Needless to say, his manager is not too happy with him. I'm sure he was thinking about the potential liability issue.

Bottom line is we take it to them this Saturday and they have promised to rewire both the trailer and the truck and give it a thorough test. They also said that if we have trouble towing it to the shop, they will come and pick it up. We shall see if they put their money where their mouth is! Stay tuned!

Sue
Old 07-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Hello All,

As an update...we took the Monty and the truck to the dealer. Of course, the service manager did not tell the front desk that we were coming, therefore there was not appointment or record of the problem. I pitched a fit and they looked at it.

They first tried to blame it on the controller, saying something about calibration. To make a long story short, they discovered that the brake and the right turn wire were connected incorrectly. Ya think? They took everything apart and reconnected.

We are hoping this solves the problem. You would think that if it were connected incorrectly, we would have had the problem continually! Time will tell I guess...it seems to be working fine right now!

We did find out that we can always use the bumper connector if we have problems with the truck bed connector. Wished we had known that. daaaaaa Everyday is a learning experience for us.

Well, I guess that ends the saga (we hope)!

Take care everyone,
Sue

Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sue,

Hope you got er fixed! Unfortunately if you have a short in the truck bed connector, it also affects the bumper connector so you would not have gained anything by switching over. The only time the bumper connector helps is when you actually loose a connection at the truck bed.

Brad
Old 07-15-2007, 04:35 AM   #17
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Brad,

Well there goes that theory! The guy actually told us that the bed and the bumper work independently of each other. Go figure....not feeling warm and cozy with their abilities!

Time will tell, we will take the Monty out again in a couple of weekends. We don't get a lot of opportunities with working full time and general life happenings as I'm sure a lot of us can vouch for!

Thanks for your input....

Sue
Old 07-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
It sounds like they fixed your problem, when you turned the right blinker on the brakes grabbed?? So maybe they did the right thing with the repair.

Our Chevy classic has two different locations to connect the 7 way plug. The normal 7 way at the bumper and another location that was ordered with the package is located on the frame rail and has to be wired to a 7 way plug. Lot of the 1 tons will have this connection available. But many service people don't know that. When I had Camping World install mine the Tech wasn't aware of the other connection. He was going to splice it into the bumper area. Its very easy to wire a 7 way plug. I just had them do it with the 5th wheel intall. Good Luck with your repair. GBY....

Question: Have you Men hugged your wives today. If not you
should. They are just one of Gods many Blessings
for us Men. Think about it?????
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote