Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
lsproul
Established Member

M.O.C. #5345
Electric water heater element

Has anyone replaced the electric element in the suburban water heater. I Just wanted to know how easy or dificult it would be.

Thanks'

Larry Sproul
2005 Montana Mountaineer 297rks

lsproul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
It's not at all difficult.

You'll need a 'thin walled' socket, 1 1/2 inches (I think). If you can't find a thin wall socket you'll need a dremel tool to shave away the sheet metal around the rod so a normal socket will fit.

Chances are the place that sold you the rod also sells a cheap-o socket like tool.

Be sure to turn the power off first!

Remove the anode rod & drain the tank.

I found it easier to remove the gas tube in front of the rod than to try to work around it.

Good Luck
MuddyPaws
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
MuddyPaws covered my experience to the T. Again Remember to disconnect your 110 power and let the hot water cool down before working on it.
Good luck and stay safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Once you buy the socket replacing the element is no problem. I am on my 3rd. I just don't seem to remember th shut it off when I drain the water. When you get a replacement. Buy 2 and keep one for a spare.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Roofcam
Established Member

M.O.C. #1300
Send a message via AIM to Roofcam
Buy the replacement and the low priced socket made for the change at Home Depot. With the low price I agree that it's a good idea to buy a spare, for the next likely occurrence. I believe it takes only about a minute to destroy an element when the tank is empty.
Roofcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #6
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Roofcam

Buy the replacement and the low priced socket made for the change at Home Depot. With the low price I agree that it's a good idea to buy a spare, for the next likely occurrence. I believe it takes only about a minute to destroy an element when the tank is empty.
Are you saying that both the element and the socket are available at Home Depot? That's got to be less expensive than the RV parts store. Where do they display them? In plumbing? Thanks
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
yep - pull out the old one and take it with you. A "fast recovery" element may also be available - the one that's really longer but bent in half to fit in the same hole.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Be sure to refill the tank before flipping on the electricity!!! You can pop an element in a dry tank with just the flip of a switch. The other guys have covered the installation really well.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
lsproul
Established Member

M.O.C. #5345
Thanks for all the help. sounds easy enough. I'm not gonna try it until I get the trailer out of winter storage. I will let you know how it goes.

lsproul
Mountaineer 297rks
03 Duramax
16k Reese Slider
lsproul is offline   Reply With Quote