Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2006, 02:29 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Northeast Iowa

We are parked in the little city park of New Hampton, IA about a block from the home of Glen's sister. We'll be here for two weeks of R & R. Should be a great downtime. I may even get my sewing maching out.

These little city and county parks can really be great. We have full hookups for $100.00 per week near a swimming pool and walking path. And our aircard works! Two years ago we didn't even have a phone connection here (Verizon) but now we have both a phone and aircard connection. Isn't life grand!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, enjoy, you are in a county and area I have heavily researched. Al's great grandparents were married over in Charles City, in 1878. It is a very pretty area, wish we were with ya!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think the central part of the lower 48 is greatly underrated in regard to its beauty. Greta loves it here....no firecrackers or jet planes and plenty of room for a playtime when she can run free.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Glenn - Judy - If your that close you should try the Amana Colonies, That little place is really great also. Glad your having some down time and catching up
Safe travels John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We've seen the Amana Colonies but it's always nice to go back again, especially this time of year when the gardens are producing. Thanks for the hint.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
You're making us homesick..............
But we will be there right after Labor Day and staying until the cold weather of October chases us south............
Enjoy !!! Enjoy !!!
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Full hookups are $100 per week and $200 per MONTH! The local Boy Scout troop runs the campground which is basically on the honor system. That's no typo....$200 per month. We might need to look for more county/city parks.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Judy & Glen if you get over to NW Iowa give us a shout. I know you met some of my friends in Branson and taught them to play Mexican Train. Steve and Sharon Andreason. I'm sure if you get over this way we could all get together for a lunch date or coffee some morning.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
$200 a month?? Man that makes my $585 a month sound expensive.... I have always enjoyed the midwest, may have to venture into more small towns when passing through.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:02 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ron, thanks so much for the invitation. We were really sorry that we missed seeing you guys last summer when we were heading for Lewis and Clark Rec Area. Steve and Sharon said that they like to camp at the COE campground under near the dam. We drove through that park and it looked really nice.

We are so blessed to be in this beautiful little quiet park so close to family with full hookups at this amazingly low price. Dave, it's made us realize that we need to look into more small town and county parks as we travel. There are others in the upper Midwest that I checked out on the internet that are $10.00 per night with hookups. Our aircard is paying for itself because we don't have to look for high dollar parks with WiFi. Now these little parks appeal to us.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
Are you going to post some pictures of these small parks on your blog?? I am sure many of us would really like to use a nice small park, especially one that can handle a large Montana. =)
Old 07-27-2006, 09:59 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I had not thought of that, Dave, but it's a good idea. I could make a separate category. Does that mean you read our blog??? So did you see our grandchildren??? Life is sweet when we're around those three little munchkins....and when we send them home.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
I do read your blog, your faimly looks so happy together. Life is truly grand isn't it. I have a few other MOC members blog's book marked as well. I am taking notes and planning for the day when I can hit the road fulltime. Only 32 more years and counting.... A few friends have asked me why I dont have a blog with all the traveling I do? I just laughed, said who wants to look at pictures of me all the time?? Since I am single and tend to take unplanned long distance trips, all you would see is open space. If I am taking the picture, who is going to be in it??? LOL!!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our family is blessed and happy together. Thanks you for noticing.

We wish you well in your search for someone to be in your pictures!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Actually, every bit of Iowa is wonderful. I just love traveling some of the lesser traveled highways through the farming country--corn, soybeans, etc. We lived in Spencer for five years and in the Cedar Rapids area for about 25 years before going full time. New Hampton is a great little town.

We are presently in Marion, IA at a county campground and will be leaving on the 31st for points east, south and then west again for the winter.

Orv & Marge
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The Midwest is highly underrated. You may need to search for things to see but there are interesting places out there. We are hoping to see the Little Brown Church in the Vale, the Bily clocks (intricately carved clocks by two brothers), the Nordic museum in Decorah, and the mighty Mississippi, to name a few. While we were at my sister's home south of Des Moines, we saw the bridges of Madison County and quaint Pella, Iowa with all its Dutch bakeries.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
How does your sister like living in Des Moines??? I found out today I may have a lead on a possible job there. I love South Dakota and the midwest, thought it might be a perfect fit for me. Still have a great deal of PT on the shoulders from having surgery, will just have to wait and see how the timeline works itself out.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The area around Des Moines, especially south of the city is very rural and very beautiful, rolling hills and lots of corn and bean fields. The movie, Bridges of Madison County, was filmed there. There are several nice lakes and for a nice vacation, you can go to Branson, MO. I think Des Moines has almost everything you'd need to live comfortably and have an interesting life.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
Thanks for the help, sounds like I need to stop in and check out the town on the way home from the rally. If the area has some great lakes for boating and rv'ing, I am ready to roll. =)
Old 07-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I definitely think it would be worth a look. You could go to Pella and enjoy the Dutch bakeries, too. Missouri has beautiful State Parks and camping, too.