Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Washer-Dryer

Just got our new Splendite 2100 installed at Camping World yesterday. It drains into the black tank. I know this has happened to others but is it really a problem?. Our black tank holds only 2 gallons less then the grey. As long as we are hooked up to sewer when we use it and open the black tank shouldn't we just have the cleanest toilet in the campground?

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Sure sounds like you would have... at least the cleanest black tank... providing the suds don't get too high.. hee.
Just make sure the tank pulls are all really shut.. I grossed Kevin out pulling the lid off the drain to make our first venture into 'dumping'... the galley gray water tank was open...
I knew I was safe cause the water smelled like coffee..
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Just got our new Splendite 2100 installed at Camping World yesterday. It drains into the black tank. I know this has happened to others but is it really a problem?. Our black tank holds only 2 gallons less then the grey. As long as we are hooked up to sewer when we use it and open the black tank shouldn't we just have the cleanest toilet in the campground?

Helen
I might be wrong but I know mine drains into the gray tank(shower-bedroom sink)
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Helen:
Our dealer-installed Kenmore washer/dryer drains into our black tank also. We have mixed emotions about this design, but assume it stems from the location of the washer closet in relation to the black tank. It seems that this arrangement would help keep the black tank rinsed out, but it also forces us to open the black tank drain more often than is generally advised on this forum. We almost never have occasion to allow the black tank to fill as we usually need to do laundry before the black tank is anywhere near full.

One thing that we have learned through experience is that it is essential (on our unit, at least) to open the black tank drain valve prior to doing a load of laundry.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:57 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Roman4.. We had this prepped by Montana before we got it so they are the ones that routed it to the black tank, Camping World just hooked it up and put in the vents etc. so I assume they knew what they were doing. We usually wait a little longer before we open the drain because of the chemicals we add but Bill said that when the washer was running there was a lot of paper that came out that hadn't before so I guess we'll leave it and put a big sign on it to OPEN BLACK TANK before use. Now if I can just remember to read the sign. LOL

Helen
Old 08-20-2005, 04:27 AM   #6
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
If I do 1 load of laundary with black tank closed, and starting with an enpty tank, the sensors read 2/3 full. Then I do a second load and they still read 2/3 full. Then I empty the black tanks and the sensors still read 2/3 full. Only after the calgon and travel method found elsewhere on this forum does the black tank sensor return to normal, empty. In the 3400RL, the grey tanks is muc larger than the black tank.
I think its the suds messing up the sensors, even though we us low sudsing detergent and only a little of it.
I amnot sure what all this means, but we now have a better feel for how to use the tanks and washer dryer.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Hey Helen,
Glad to hear you've got the washer! We are having ours installed on the 26th of this month. Mel gets home from work on the 24th, we're leaving on the 25th and will be in Camping Worlds parking lot in Ore. that night and stay there as the install is early morning on Fri.
Do you have to use any kind of special soap since the water drains into the black tank? or maybe a defoamer additive? After reading the above comments on this thread, it makes one wonder. Did you have any install issues I need to be aware of? again, congrats on the new washer/dryer.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:08 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
RadHazJoe, all the Montanas have the same size tanks. The black tank is 38 gallons. The gray tank is 38 and the galley tank is 38. The brochure leads you to believe there is one large gray tank but it's really two smaller tanks.

Our w/d drain into the gray tank. I guess the advantage of draining into the black tank is a cleaner black tank. But I've twice forgot to open the dump valve on the gray tank and overflowed the tank. The first time it backed up into the shower and overflowed. Everything in the basement storage area got soaked, as well. The second time Vicki caught it before it overflowed the shower. I'd sure hate to overflow the toilet into the coach and into the basement. What a mess that would be. Maybe a note taped over the washer 'on' switch would help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hi Joy. We were kinda worried about the 2100 as it was a little larger than the 2000s but there was plenty of room. Our friend Jeremy at the Rogers, MN. Camping World can do anything and he takes such care to make sure it is correct. I can see why they give us a lifetime warrenty on installation. At first he told us not to leave the door open when we were drying but after installation we could tell that it wouldn't be a problem. Our door is far enough out not to feel the heat. Go for it. I think I will still use the campgrounds for bulky items but like to keep up with the smaller things every few days. There is a special soap for the Splendite which I bought. About 20 bucks but will last a loooong time.

Steve- My sign will be on the on switch. Now if I could find a good place for my antenna is up sign I would be happy.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Montana_4413

M.O.C. #4413
The drain into the black water is not only going to be extra messy if you forget to open the drain valve but even bigger is the sanitary issue if it ever overflows. You would want to remove the washer to properly clean the health hazzard. Our 3670RL was plumbed this way also. The dealer made a direct connection into the 4" drain a bit ahead of the sewer hose connection which means wash water passes all tanks giving two options 1. direct on ground and 2. direct to a sewer hookup which will always be the case as a tank will fill and overflow very quickly. The dealer said the factory was going to reimburse him for this work due to the health hazzard.We love our new trailer but the fix list of things under warranty after two uses was long. Dealer just replumbed bypassing all tanks at no charge on 09/15/05.
Montana_4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
It drains into the gray tank on ours.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
adelmoll, we have that sign for the antenna. We hang it right onto the antenna handle. Up or down we always check it before we leave. Try that. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Helen,
I too have the orange sign for the antenna being up. I clip it to the handle when the antenna is up and put it onto of the vcr/dvd in the bedroom when I bring the antenna down and turn the power off to it. Seems to work so far, by the way I have been catching up on reading about your travels. Glad to hear things are going well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:03 AM   #14
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Helen,
Well, we love our new W/D!! We made sure the Black tank was open when we used the washer, (just to be sure). But as it turns out, the gray tank started to overflow into the bathtub with pretty pink water, so that tells us the drain goes to the grey, not the black. Thank goodness, that would be quite a chore I think to have to worry about every time I needed to wash clothes. But, like you said before, you'll have one of the cleanest black tanks around. And before you ask, I don't know why the water was pink, as all the clothes came out the color they were sopose to be. Also, I wanted to tell you I saw a "Yellow" Caution shaped sign about 4 or 5 inches square at the Camping world store that was for the antenna, maybe you could use that or someting similar?

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:54 AM   #15
Montana_4413

M.O.C. #4413
The dealer did a really nice replumb bypassing all tanks and said there was no charge. Les
Montana_4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:21 AM   #16
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Our Monty is at the dealer having some problems ironed out. One of them was a problem with a leak near the washer and dryer. The technican told us to make sure we leave the gray water tank open when we do the laundry just because of that problem.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote