Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
LED ???

Guys I have a 3 bulb fixture over the bar in my kitchen that takes #1076 bulbs that you can only get at a rv dealer. They get very hot and melt the little lead bumps on the back then you have to wiggle them to get them to come on when you cut the lite on. has anyone changed to LEDs and will they give as much light and will they be cooler. I have found a site to get them but would like some input from someone who has tryed them. I need good light at the bar. thanks
bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
In some of my lights I have replaced the 1076 (which you can get from other places besides RV dealers) with 1004. This has the same base, but draws only 1 amp instead of 1.8 amps. It's not as bright, but a lot less heat.

You can get LEDs with the same base, but you will have to choose between two or three colors (warm, really warm, or cool). You must be careful to get LEDs that are made for auto use where the voltage can go to almost 15 volts. Many cheaper LEDs will soon burn out if they see more than 12V, which makes them an expensive purchase.

My recommended source is http://www.superbrightleds.com/, where a number of other MOCers have had good success. Several have bought LEDs at Quartzsite, only to go to Super Bright when the dark leaked out.

Check with Dave Anderson or Robbie Simons for the latest update on LEDs.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks Bob superbright was where I found them. I didnt know about the 1004 bulbs I will also ck on those. I need alot of light in the kitchen but they may work. I dont know how bright the LEDs are.
bobby
Old 09-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I don't have the lumen output for the LEDs, but I'm sure they are bright enough. They do tend to be narrow in their coverage, which is why they typically have more than one LED in each bulb, but even though, they can be spotty. I think the real problem is getting a color that you are comfortable with.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
I have purchased several different types of LED bulbs to try in my Montana and have yet to find any that were bright enough to use!

A 1076 bulb will output 400 lumens of light whereas the brightest LED replacement I've found has been 150 lumens. I've tried replacing the wedge base bulbs in the bedroom reading lights with LED's but have gone back to the incandescent since the LED's weren't bright enough to read by.

The brightest wedge base bulb that www.superbrightleds.com carries is only 150 lumens. They don't list the lumen output of the 1076 replacement however I doubt that it would be any brighter than the wedge base bulbs since they are of similar construction.

coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
See if this link helps: Prudent RV & Boater

However Bobby, stop mixing that good stuff and drink it straight. You will not need a light over the bar.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks guys. great info here as always. Wayne I have to be careful at the table I also eat there and in low light "IT AINT PRETTY" I could bite myself. LOL
bobby