Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Shane01638
Established Member

M.O.C. #4613
RV Cover

Does anyone use a cover for there unit in the off season. I found a couple brands on-line with a lot of bad reviews to go with them. I need a Fifth Wheel cover that will stand up against high winds, heavy snow, and now volcanic ash. I use a skirt in the front to store stuff year round, so it would be nice if the cover incorporated that.

Shane01638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The best thing is covered storage...keeps it out of the sun, rain, snow, sleet, wind, etc...I'm lucky, mine even has power.

BTW, what is "off season?"
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
When you are up on the roof of the rv'''' and i built barns '''' but if at our ages you fall as where is the side of the unit in this big canvas and you break your back or head or what ever ,,, your fun life is over and so is it for your spouse,, think about it ,, i tried it and up came a gust of wind and i left it go , put it back in the box and took it back , i heard a guy fell between 2 rigs in storage and broke his back and is in a wheel chair , life is toooooooooooooo short ,,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I'm concerned about the wind blowing it after I put it on and rubbing on the gelcoat. The constant rubbing in the corners and the edge of the top can't be good for the RV.
Thats why mine is under covered storage.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
In 20 years of owning RV's I've had two 5th wheels that came with covers when I bought them. In both cases the cover was ripped to shreds by high winds while in outside winter storage. My opinion is they're not worth the effort or the expense.
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I had a cover for a motorhome we owned in the past. It did flop around in the wind even though it was tied down very well.
I think it served me well keeping the sap from the pine trees off the motorhome. That was a good thing.
I don't think I would use one for the Monty.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I built a barn to store the Monty in as I didn't want the sun, pine needles and leaves all over it when it was parked in the yard. I also put a drain in the floor to tie it to the toilet I'm putting in the barn. It can stay in there open so we can use it if we want and I can work on it easily. My SIL says that I built a house and put a house in it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We are fulltimers and have no use for a cover BUT even if I did have to store Monty there is no way I would cover it.
If that cover is the least bit loose it will cause problems. Unless every corner of the roof and every protrusion is padded, that includes everyone of the various vents, AC, antenna, et al the cover will be torn by spring. They are a hassle to put on and end up a huge waste of time and money.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did have a cover for one of our previous Rv's which was a lot smaller than the 3400. Although they are generally not recommended because of possible damage to the Rv we did not have that problem as it is a matter of properly securing it. However..try as we might it was not able to withstand the high winter winds of Northern Ohio. One observation comes to mind.. These things sit it dealers lots all winter..uncovered.. Now as to Volcanic ash..that is another issue... We do not have many volcano's in Northern Ohio. I think storage is the only good method.. But Volcanic ash???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
i get a storage built for it its a small price to pay when you look at the price of your R.V. Ever one i have had i made sure i had a Built Cover for them.........
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
Shane01638
Established Member

M.O.C. #4613
A hard fixed shelter would be ideal, things like that are expensive in Alaska though. Luckily, the ash fell on the snow, but the snow is melting and the volcano is still blowing. The last time this Volcano erupted it lasted 5 months. I also think covers do more damage than good. They might benefit with volcanic ash though. I guess I'm going to have to price getting a shelter built.
Shane01638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
We are thinking about buying a cover for our Monty because the snow peels the front decals off. Or did last year. We are currently waiting for a new set to be put on under warrenty. Normally I would not use a cover but I am tired of dealing with the decals. I was told by the dealer that I should be sure that the cover is real snug. Wish I had a barn.
whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
condor
Established Member

M.O.C. #6205
Had a Rockwood Travel Trailer before,never used a cover on it down here in South Florida. Damn stickers looked like the pedals of flowers blooming! After I got my Monty, LOTS more decals so didn't want that to happen. Got one of them fancy (expensive) covers from CW. Had my rig stored up at a lot is SC to keep it outa hurricane alley. The wind in SC cause that $450 cover to rip to shreads, right down the center. Really ticked me off so I did the next stupid think I could think of............bought ANOTHER $450 cover from CW. (Can't say I'm not on the ball, huh?) 6 months later, call from my son that"your fancy new cover is all ripped up just like the last on". Now, ya Don't gota smack me in the head more that two or three times with a hammer. Didn't buy a replacement $450 cover THIS TIME. Guess I should start looking for a place that replaces those curling decals that's a coming.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My thought/experience is that those peeling decals have absolutely nothingto do with cold, snow, ice, wind, sun, heat , etc. They are faulty and they are going to peel. Our 3400 is 3 yrs old and has never seen snow. Did get to 17 once in NC mountains, but the Montana decal is a total shambles while the mountain graphic below still looks like the day it came out of the factory (only with more bugs). The problem is defective/inferior material/mfring process.

The volcanic ash is bad. How long does it take to put that cover on? If there is possibility of an eruption, I would definitely cover the rig. Any possible damage to/from the cover would be worth the risk compared to the acidic rain/ash from that volcano landing on your rig. JMHO.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
You might want to hear from rlwhit who had a moisture problem when he had the cover over the Monte. He no longer uses the cover.

...of course, he lives in Washington, that might be part of the moisture problem.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Robbie, that is something else I have heard about. Moisture collecting underneath has been a major topic in some forums.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote