Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Slip Plate for $8.18 per can

Today I bought three cans of Slip Plate for $8.18 per can at Grainger. That's their retail price per individual can.

If you have a Grainger store nearby, your company may have an account under which you may (or may not) get a discount off retail. In my case, my company has an employee account there that includes retirees. No discount, though.

If you do not have company access to Grainger, they will provide you with an "accommodation membership." You pay their full retail price of $8.18 per can, in this case. With an accommodation account you may have to pay by cash or check. With a corp acct you can use plastic. Doublecheck that. I may have that wrong.

Grainger is also online at www.grainger.com . There you can find the Slip Plate for $8.18 per can plus shipping.

You want the Dry Film Lube at

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?from=Search&newSrch=yes&operato r=keywordSearch&search_type=keyword&action=Go!&Que ryString=slip+plate&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

At this time they have a special with free ground shipping for orders of $50 or more. Otherwise I find their shipping rather high. $12 and change for the three cans. So we drove to their store today.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks Steve, it's worth lookin' into at that price. Most prices on the internet are around 13-14 bucks.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
I don't have a Grainger store nearby, but I ordered 2 cans on line, paid the $12.95 shipping and had it the next day. It was still considerably cheaper than the other site that was posted here for $13.00/can and $15.00 shipping.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Today I disassembled the hitch, stripped all the grease and applied slip plate. It took me about three hours.

Pullrite sent me instructions to do this. I see those instructions are available on their site. This is the url for the pdf file http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/Slip%20Plate.pdf .

I found brake parts cleaner works much faster and easier to remove the old grease (or slip plate) than does wd-40. It took two full cans of brake parts cleaner. And I used just over a full can of slip plate for the initial application. The instructions say to put on two full coats on all four sides of the way tubes and on the parts of the cam arm assembly that come in contact with the way tubes. You have to strip the grease off the cam arm assembly, also.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote