Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Watch your ONE year factory warranty

My warranty expired 11 Nov 07. I found two problems and was able to get them in under the wire.
On 25 Dec (great Christmas present) I noticed this crack under the bedroom slide when it is extended. I had to look at the photo I took in December to get the date. The crack is about 5 inches long and is covered by the bedroom slide over lap when it is closed. Today I was trying to get service on the other items and pointed this one to the service tech. They contacted Keystone and was informed my unit is out of warranty and they will not cover it.

My warning to members with new units. Do a full PDI inspection just before your ONE year warranty runs out..
I believe the crack was there before but I did not notice it so the one year date is on my back. As the service tech inspected it there seems to be over spray in that area indicating it was repaired once before. Since this was a new unit I am guessing the work was done at the factory or possibly the dealer. I have no way of knowing.

I do not know the danger of additional damage caused by this crack and that worries me.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
John,
Great advise! I give the same to people buying a stick house. Have a complete inspection done at about 11 months. It's amazing how much they find.

I just put it on my calender for next year when my 3400 hit its anniversary.

Thanks!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks John.
I'll definitely do a good inspection before the 1 year.
I do think I have an extended for up to 7 years (maybe 5) and hope it will cover things like that.

As much as we move around 15000 pounds, I think the extended warranty is worth the high price you have to pay, if just for piece of mind.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

That is truly dissapointing! I might understand graphics issues or minor repairs, but it looks like this puts you in a pickle! You could spend the money to get it fixed at a body shop, but you aren't sure what the root cause is.

I would push back a little harder - maybe the siding or some other related component has its own longer warranty.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I can't believe they are not standing behind their product! Something like this could be from a bigger problem like the bedroom slide frame not being square for example. I bet with the economy and rv sales taking a 67% downhill slide we see more examples of "its your problem, not ours" in the near future.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Thats why I take out extended insurance. I think any manufacture figures out how long to give warranty by the how long it takes for problems to show up then cut it off before the majorite show up.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't use extended, but I somehow doubt extended coverage would cover that would it? Not the routine thing to be listed under "items covered".
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John,
What about just plain old "insurance?"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have full replacement extended warranty which would cover it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #10
turley
Established Member

M.O.C. #8163
where do you get full time warranty.....anyone have an input. thanks
turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
One needs to read their Extended Warratny (service contract) We have a good one..RV Shield.. and under exclusions reads....all outside ornamentation,carpet,sheet metal & PANELS, Frame and structural body parts.That is a common exclusion in Service contracts.. One might want to call their provider and get a defination of what that means.. The term Bumper to bumper or full coverege on a after market extended warranty rarely means that.. Read the contract carefully.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
John,

Do you suspect a failure of the underlying frame in that area?? If so, isn't the frame covered for a longer period of time than Keystone's warranty? If this is a frame issue then it seems the crack is a consequence of that and might be coverd as well. Just thinking out loud.... hope you can get to the bottom of this.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:01 AM   #13
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
It is to bad that only 6 weeks out of warranty, that keystone could not look at this different. Again the manufacturers are pushing themselves into a corner. this is what brings about tougher regulations on the industry as a whole. I know this is getting old,BUT, the auto industry a least will take the time if you are out of warranty to at least meet with you,check it out for themselves and make a decision on that. Not just look at pictures and a dealer excuse. Most of the time they will cover something that shows you could not have done that yourself,just for the goodwill value. They,at least want you to come back and buy again.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The frame is Lippert and has a longer warranty.. Would not hurt to talk to Lippert about it.. Keystone has covered failures after the one year warranty period..However one year is one year most any manufacturer will react the same. We took pictures of what we considered possible failure areas (roof) within the first year warranty period had a Keystone rep look at the roof(they said it was normal) then had the pictures and date of inspection filed on record with Keystone..just in case... It never failed and it is now 2 years old so I guess they were correct???
Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
H. John Kohl, Call Keystone, unless things are much different they will fix that problem. I think its called Flex-Frame, while in Goshen I saw no less than 7 Montanas with the same problem. Keystone stepped up and fixed them all, and no cost to owner. There are people on this form that was there at Camp Keystone getting the same problem fixed on older Montana's. Thats one reason I highly respect Keystone, they in my opinion will stand behind their product. I think you need to go there, you will be very happy with the trip. And you will be in and out in a couple of days and can camp there. Good Luck. GBY....

Ok Montana owners send H. John a e-mail and tell him about you flex-frame being fixed, and make him feel better...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
John's unit would be a 06 year and the frame flex problem was corrected some time before that. I would still give Keystone and Lipperet a call.