Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Snow in Central Texas

Doesn't happen often, but we awakened to snow this morning. It didn't even last until noon.

Snow 2008

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Stiles,
You have to admit, that there is something entrancing about being in a nice warm rig and looking out at snow covered scenery!!! I really enjoy the first trip out each year in anticipation that the view out the back window will be similar. The last two years at Easter provided just that view, and we are looking forward to whatever the weather brings us for our 2008 Easter adventure. Thanks for the pics.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
My daughter sent us pictures from McKinney (north side of Dallas) where she teaches. Her question to me was "how do I drive in snow". They had about six inches and she was awaiting word on whether they would call school the next day.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Dallas stations were predicting the same for our area that happened yesterday in the McKinney, Sherman, Denton area but all we got was lots of rain. This morning when I got up there was a light dusting on the trees and roof tops.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Fortunately the weather forecast is for milder weather next week. We are leaving for Vidalia Louisiana next week for a rally.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
When I was stationed at Ft. Hood in 1974, we had about an inch an a half over night once. It was a site to see grown men and women outside making snowmen in short sleeves. Of course the snow melted by noon.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I live just outside McKinney. Last Sunday it was in the low 70's, Tuesday morning we had nearly 5" snow on the ground, Wednesday it was in mid 60's, Thursday evening and night snowed a couple inches, Today back to the mid 50's.
Thursday they had 6-8" just west and north of McKinney.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I'm a native Texan but have lived and taught school part-time in Montana since 2002. I well remember "weather days" back in Texas when I taught there. We'd frequently have a "weather day" holiday because of rain and occasionally as the result of an ice storm. Recently, I also received a snow call from our daughter who teaches at Matagorda Elementary School in Matagorda, Texas--literally within feet of the Gulf of Mexico. Snow flakes were sighted! Her school didn't cancel classes, but excitement filled the air for the few moments that the flakes fell.

Now, as I drive to work regularly in near-zero visibility, blizzard conditions, I have to laugh over those Texas weather days. Since I've been here, we've NEVER had school cancelled or even let out early because of weather. I thought for sure last November, when we we had several weeks of minus-30 and minus-40 temperatures with snow and high winds, school would be cancelled. But no, the buses ran and the kids and teachers drove, and we all made it to school day after day.

I drive about 40 miles one way to work, on an interstate but through the mountains, so my drive can be a bit hairy at times, especially when I have to leave before the snow plows get out our way. The photo below shows a typical drive home around 4:00 PM during the winter; that's a snow plow on the other side of the highway. You can't see them, but I am surrounded by mountains and have mountains ahead of me. At least I know where they are and how the road curves!

By the way, I never, ever tire of seeing snow fall. I love it! And another "by the way": I don't know how much longer I can afford to drive that 80-mile round trip five days a week because diesel just went through the roof here yesterday.
Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote