Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Roof Question

Well, I am back with another question. Did the initial check on the 3400RL today and am pleased to report that all went well. A couple of minor issues to be addressed and then we will take delivery on the 24th. During the look on top of the unit, I noticed that there are discernable bubbles at the seams of the plywood roof. The roof material was still in good shape and had no holes. One bubbled area extended across the roof completely. Should this be a concern initially, or is it a wait and see deal. All comments and experience regarding these rooftops are appreciated. My main concern is that if the roof is not leaking now, and the dealer tries to eliminate the bubbling, then the areas that now are continuous would be disrupted and prone to leakage as the roof ages.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My roof on our 3400 was exactly the same at our PDI 9 months ago and is still the same. It is a common thing. It was also looked at by the service center at the rally in Goshen and they said noworry and to keep a eye on it in case it ever did get any worse. We did take pictures and they are on record with Keystone...just in case.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bingo, my ridges are just like Rich's. At the seams of the roof plywood, as you mentioned, there is a "bubble" line full length across my roof - 3 or 4 lines? They seem to have remained stable through the months. They seem to be pretty uniform in shape - not irregular, but they are definitely visible.

I think they are normal - some sort of expansion control situation. I was there they they checked Rich's roof, as I was curious, too. I think Rich had just a little more irregular and/or larger bubbling than I did, but I still had some.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Ditto,

Same as above.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Appreciate the advice. Sounds like it is merely something to be monitored. I don't think I ever paid attention to it on the old travel trailer (emphasis on old since it reverted to it's previous owner today - namely the dealer). I can say that I was honestly impressed by the overall construction of the unit. It is one thing reading all of the MOC-ers iterations and impressions, but quite another doing the inspection personally. I really enjoy this forum, hope to help others, all while hopefully tempering my sometimes strong personal opinions (think we are all a little guilty of that at times - buuuuut, that does make it interesting at times). Can't wait until Easter to start the Montana adventures.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
I think you should be ok. Mine has the same appearance and has had since new. No change. I had not seen this before in my previous RV either, but I noticed the joints on these newer units seem to have wider gaps whereas on my older unit the joints were tighter.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
rv_nut
Established Member

M.O.C. #6485
My Mountaineer is the same and also has some bubbles along the edge, where the roof rolls over the edge. I looked at some others on the lot -- they were all the same. My dealer checked with Keystone, who said this was normal.

Ken
rv_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours also has the bubble line clear across the roof. So did our prior two Montanas and the Jayco Eagle before that.

Other bubbles are not a problem so long as they're not too big and, especially, if they don't grow over time. Check them out occasionally.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote