Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Roof Cleaner. The Good, Bad & Ugly

The wind was blowing 25 and gusting to 40 but I was determined to get my roof cleaned today since I spent all weekend running new surround sound speaker wire in my trailer. Spray bottle and sponge in hand I climbed up to the top and got started. I sprayed down the roof to get all the lose gunk off first. I then used my new bottle of roof cleaner/conditioner and sponge. I scrubbed like crazy and scrubbed some more. An hour later I was finished. I can't believe how dirty the roof gets just sitting there. I never could get all of those pesky little black spots off of the roof. I also have a bone to pick with whatever kind of bird it was which left me that massive present which left blue stain the size of a baseball. I have decided it is worth the 50 bucks to take it to the dealer and have them do the outside cleaning and maintance. I am through with that business.

What has your experience been with cleaners? What's the best and whats's the worst? Give me the good, bad and ugly on roof cleaners.

Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Phil,
I use Thetfords Rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. While it brings the roof back to a nice white shine, it does not take all of the stains out. (like the one that bird left you) I used to use a sponge, but have switched to a floor mop. Keeps the bending to a minimum and is much easier on the shoulders.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I am with Montana Sky in using Thetford. I have a unit that will soon be five years in use and the roof still looks like new. I use a soft, long-handled brush and do not need to scrub. I have never had 'black streaks' because I keep the roof clean.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I still use the ole standby, Dawn dishwashing liquid. As Dave said, I also use a long handle brush, a little easier on the back. I have that stuff Thetford gave us at the rally, but haven't used it yet, but I'm sure it will do the job or thay wouldn't have given it to us!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:09 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I clean and then I'd like to think that a good coat of 303 Aerospace Protectant has helped me keep the roof sealed and easier to clean next time. Phil I doubt if you'd be satisfied with the service guy doing the roof?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:09 AM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I use Dawn and a soft brush to clean ours. It is stored under a RV cover that helps to keep the bird droppings and tree pitch off the roof, spring clean up is a lot easier.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I don't know why but I most often do what the manufacturer recommends and not what someone else does or says. Especially when the manufacturer also holds the warranty in his hands. So direct from the horse's mouth so to speak........
DICOR the manufacturer, and WARANTAR, of our rubber roofs at a seminar said the only product to use is DAWN Dishwashing Liquid but if you absolutely must have a product with the words "Rubber Roof Cleaner" on the label Dicor does have their own available. They also said it's not even necessary to clean the roof and the only reason to even go up there is a periodic inspection. As far as any kind of protectant? Again not necessary and again if you insist Dicor does have their own brand which you can purchase.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
WOW, Thank you Glenn!! I was feeling REALLY bad because our roof hasn't been cleaned in a couple of years (it has been on my to-do list the whole time, though). Now I find out I don't even have to clean it!! I'll still manage to do it sometime (with Dawn) because I do hate those black streaks.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
When using Dawn to clean the roof, it will remove any wax on your 5er when it runs down the sides. Don't know if it has any effect on the decals.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Well, I just finished a complete wash job on my Montana and pickup. On the Montana: roof, sides, and both front and back cap. I used my usual Thetfords on the rubber roof and a wash/wax on the remainder of the trailer. It looks like new from top to bottom. When I get old I may hesitate to get up on the roof, especially when it is wet and slick, but as I am only in my seventy-fifth year that is no problem!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was at that same seminar where dicor said to use dawn If you feel the need to have a clean roof., and these are the folks that make the roof, However they will be glad to sell you some high priced stuff that clearly says "rubber roof cleaner " on it. In fact they were giving it away. We have always done the recommended maint on our rubber roofs on all our campers...but clean it.. Why????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I clean the roof first, using my ole buddy, Simple Green, then clean the sides. If I don't clean the roof, the roof gunk runs down on my clean sides.
OH, I just bought some Simple Green car and RV cleaner, it's an Emerald color, not supposed to streak.
I loves my Simple Green....It's biodegradable as well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rich, cuz if'n yer up on a hill out yonder somewhere and lookin' down at the camper it'll be really purty and sparkly white. Also won't manufacture black streaks as readily
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Dang Ozz I think you might turn into a Naturalist (AKA Tree Hugger).SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That ain't gonna happen....................
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #16
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I was at that same seminar where dicor said to use dawn If you feel the need to have a clean roof., and these are the folks that make the roof, However they will be glad to sell you some high priced stuff that clearly says "rubber roof cleaner " on it. In fact they were giving it away. We have always done the recommended maint on our rubber roofs on all our campers...but clean it.. Why????
Ive got document from my last SOB's paperwork from the same company (Dicor) that says use Murphys oil soap to clean the roof.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #17
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
It really does prevent the black streaks if you just clean the roof once a year. It's not that bad of a project and it helps to keep the rest of the unit clean, or cleaner. I've had a trailer where I didn't and it always had streaks from the roof, once I started cleaning my roof, most of the streaks are non-existent.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and I use Thetford as well.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote