Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Phil Eyler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9197
San Francisco or Bust

Help! My wife and I will be traveling down the coast of California on our way from Red Wood National Park to Yosemite. My wife wants to see San Francisco. Anybody have any suggestions as to RV parks where we can stay and see San Francisco. Is 101 okay to travel all the way to San Fran or should I cut over to I5 to come south?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Phil Eyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,
Getting into and thru SF is a challenge. 101 will work but you are on surface streets much of your travel thru SF. There are few to no RV parks right in SF. There are a few in the outlying areas. There are several members who have done some RVing in and around the SF area. Hopefully they will come along with details. We stayed at the Sugar Barge RV park east of SF. But we were visiting daughter in Walnut Creek area. That is a bit far for doing SF but doable. We have also stayed north of the area near Vacaville. We stayed at a place called Neils Vinyard. Again it is a bit of a trip into the City but can be done.

But check back soon for some more details by members that are very familiar with the area.

By the way I would not pull our Monty via 101 thru SF. I'd take the northern freeways that swing east and go out that direction. Just my preference. Good luck and enjoy. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
My suggestion would be to take 101 all the way to Novato - Hwy 37 - and then cut over to Interstate 80. From there you could stay at the Tradewinds RV Park in Vallejo - which is about 1/2 hour from the City. Not the greatest RV Park, but there aren't many options. The other would be the San Francisco RV park, which is in Pacifica, slightly south of San Francisco - Pricey but great views. Last would be to stay in Petaluma at the KOA . Our grandkids live in the Bay Area, and I can tell you there are just not many decent RV parks in the area. And, no matter where you stay - the traffic will be heavy at most times during the day. I would not try to take 101 through the City with a fifth wheel!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We stayed at the Novato RV Park for a week. It's tight small park but very close to SF. Novato is a great little clean upscale community. The park has several spots reserved for visitors. The permanent residence were sketchy but very nice. A deli and store on site. We have five slides and yes it was tight but great location. We stayed there for a week and will return again. Stay away from park in Larkspur near Ferry Terminal and Candlestick Parks RV, that's my opinion neither looked good to us at all. While a littlemfurther away Wine Country RV in Sonoma County is nice. I like the North Bay so that's my advice.

http://novatorvpark.com/

http://winecountryrvparksonoma.com/
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I agree with pulling thru SF on 101, done it but you need to be patient. Going right thru town can have traffic.
Didn't say where you where staying near Yosemite.
Merced Elks Lodge has a new park. Little over an hour to Yosemite and an hour and a half to the Coast/Santa Cruz/ Monterey.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Would reccomend the RV park in Pacifica! If you drive to Daly City you can park at bart and go into the city via bart system. Much more sane that driving and trying to find parking for our big trucks. Park is pricey, but you are in
SF, so that is the normal.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
We have stayed at San Francisco RV Park in Pacifica often. Be aware that the sites along the ocean are no longer available. Most of the sites are pull through and are tight. It's very convenient to the city. We (read Ken) has pulled the fifth wheel through SF all those times we were down there. Be sure to stay on the west side of town (Park Presidio, Geary or Fulton, Sunset or Great Highway to Skyline) with the fifth wheel, toward the ocean and you should be fine. Petaluma KOA also offers a shuttle/tour from Petaluma to SF. You might want to check that out. We have friends that have done that.....and enjoyed it. Enjoy you time in our home town. Lots to see and do....and if you will be there anytime from now through mid November...you will be hitting the best weather SF has to offer!! Enjoy!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We were there in June. We stayed the first week south of San Jose, and were not that pleased. Our second week we did at the KOA in Petaluma, and it was better. Good sized sites, fairly good amenities, good location to do the city, the wine country, or day trips along Hiway 1. We visited with our son in Emeryville, and also hit the city. Grocery, truck care, pharmacy all close by.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
X2 on Petaluma. The sites are a little larger than Novato, but the trade off is a longer commute. It is much quieter though. We are on our way next week on a slow crawl down the Oregon coast and plan on being in Petaluma around the middle of October. Don't forget to see the new California Academy of Sciences exhibit if you have the time.http://www.calacademy.org/
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Hey, ranch560, we did the slow crawl UP the Oregon coast in July! Wish we were still there! Loved the state parks; Harris Beach, Bullards Beach, South Beach, Ft Stephens, and a couple more my mind has let slip for the moment...enjoy!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We stayed at the Petaluma KOA--took their shuttle one day and had a great time--especially with a good driver (not me). Next day, we went into to the ferry terminal and took it to SF and then picked up a tour of Alcatraz--great views and great boat ride. Drive back to Petaluma was not bad.
Petaluma is easy to get around town to needed supplies--food, etc. Great Farmers Market in the summer. We would probably do that again.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have done the trip in both the 3400RL and the SOB. I had no problems. First time with the 3400RL we stayed in Petaluma (Military) and used the F-350 King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long bed, for touring. My theory is, if you can get a standard size car into the space I can get the truck into the space. No problem traversing the city or the bridge.

The option would be to park the truck and take the local transportation, buses, trolleys, BART, etc., (More on that below)

Second time we stayed at the AFB military camp, Travis AFB, and there are some CG's around there. It was a 20 mile drive to the nearest BART. We thoroughly enjoyed the public transportation, but then we are "senior citizens" so the price is very right.

Traveling the BART System: You can go on-line and read many different programs for riding the BART. The first is to go to a facility that will provide you with the BART card for $2. Then you go to an agent station and fill it with money. Just put in enough for a few days, and you can always add more at at BART station. You don't need anything else but that card populated with $$. It is then used on buses, trolleys, trains, etc. It is a proximity card and you just scan it when you get on the ride. It is absolutely the easiest way to tour around San Francisco.

We did not tour Alcatraz but we did take a boat tour for $15 each that got us up real close, and was worth the ride, not to just Alcatraz but out to the GG bridge for some great picture shots.

Anyhow, for what it's worth.

Look at the RV PARK REVIEW website, key in San Francisco, then look at the outlying areas for reviews of campgrounds.

Just remember that where you stay is not as important as the purpose of the stay. You may not want to return to that CG, but it is just a place to sleep.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
the wife and i go to SF all the time mother still lives there and i have stay at the RV park in Pacifica in our 3400rl it can get kind of tight going out there and staying at the park we started to stay at the Candlestick RV in south SF and Bart is right there
http://sanfranciscorvpark.com/
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #14
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimmy2

the wife and i go to SF all the time mother still lives there and i have stay at the RV park in Pacifica in our 3400rl it can get kind of tight going out there and staying at the park we started to stay at the Candlestick RV in south SF and Bart is right there
http://sanfranciscorvpark.com/
In 2007 we had to move sites 3 times to find one where we could open all of our slides on our 3400RL. Not all of the sites are made for larger rigs and the people working the desk at that time were not very helpful in giving out a site that would work. They said find one and come back and let us know what site you are in
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote