Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Reefer Run Time Past Issues

Still trying to understand the refrigerator operation on the batteries (through the inverter). We've taken 3 trips including the shakedown near the house. Did not check reefer off shore power there. On the 2nd trip in December, ref seemed okay on 5+ hour road trip but it was in the 40s. The 3rd trip to Fredericksburg noticed that freezer section had come up to 18 degrees after we got slides open and on shore power (cannot open ref door with slide in). When we returned, I found a loose connection on the 2nd battery. Figured that was the problem.
So just now I've gotten the time to check this out. I'm running permanent 50 amp to RV. When I dropped the house power to the RV and checked, the ref was not running. I remembered reading somewhere on this forum that the inverter has a switch. Found the inverter (hanging on the ceiling in the passthrough basement streetside). 12.7vdc at battery side. Looked around and found the user interface (see pix) and no LED or display. Pushed the power button and shazam. Magic happened. After several minutes of run time the display settled down to showing 12.2vdc and a power of .12 which from reading the Magnum Owners manual is 120 watts. Voltage out is 120vac. So I'm guessing that the clowns at the dealer in October had the inverter off and the clown that bought the RV had no clue (the walk through was not real impressive. I did not even know about the inverter but later found out the 3791RD came with one. What fun. I'm going to let the system run all day and monitor the amps and volts. Will see what the pair of marine deep cycle 12 volt no name batteries will provide. The display showed .04 (40 watts) when the ref first came on. Compressor was not running. The DC amps were 7.2. After a while, the compressor kicked on and the DC amps went to 12.1. I seem to remember that the batteries are ~100AH each. So can anyone tell me how long the estimated time til ref shuts down? Book says 9 hours and the DC shut down says 10.5 volts