Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
Montana_3045

M.O.C. #3045
Cleaning the day/night shades

Some of our day/night shades have gotten very dirty and stained, is there a way I can clean them, or am I going to have to replace them? Vacuuming them is not doing the job.

Montana_3045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Hope someone has the answer for this one.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:51 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I understand these can be sponged off as they hang. Use dish detergent and warm water. Seems like it will take a while. Also vacuum the loose dust/dirt off first.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I would like to know how to clean also, we had a friend try to wash them and they fell apart as they washed the holes got bigger so I would like to know.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
I did a search for Cleaning Day/night shades and found that there is no easy way to clean them. Most say that they cannot be cleaned, I did find one person that said to use compressed air but I am thinking that would take a lot of cans. Also I found one site that said to put them up at least 3 or 4 times a day so they don't loose the pleats. They said that if you leave them down all the time they will go flat. Boy am I in trouble cause I like mine down all the time. I use thoes swiffer duster things to dust them off so if any of you come up with a way to clean them I sure would like to know.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

I did a search for Cleaning Day/night shades and found that there is no easy way to clean them. Most say that they cannot be cleaned, I did find one person that said to use compressed air but I am thinking that would take a lot of cans. Also I found one site that said to put them up at least 3 or 4 times a day so they don't loose the pleats. They said that if you leave them down all the time they will go flat. Boy am I in trouble cause I like mine down all the time. I use thoes swiffer duster things to dust them off so if any of you come up with a way to clean them I sure would like to know.
Other than the occasional vacuuming we have no idea how to clean them either.

As far as the leave them down all the time they will go flat. That is totally bogus. We have our Montana since September 2003 and the 2 day/night shades in the bedroom are rarely if ever up. The ones in the living area are down the majority of the time. In our present location the rig faces west and therefore we have the hot sun all day. The day/night shades in the living/dining area have not been put up since we got here back in October AND the all pleats are still there.

Actually I could careless how to clean them. As soon as these shades need anything more than the vacuum they are out of here to be replaced by mini blinds. At least when they get dirty you can take them out and wash them.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Linda, our experience is same as Glenn's. The bedroom shades have not been up in probably a year and a half and still have their pleats. That includes all the bouncing down the road as we travel. The one over the couch is usually down, also, and still has sharp pleats.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Glenn & Steve, That is good to know because mine have been down sence we moved in our Montana. I only raise them when I want to look out the window, I know mine still look as good as the day we got it.If and when they need to be replaced I will be doing some remodeling and make them myself.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Our dealer told us that you have to put them up or you will loose the pleats. I dont worry to much about it during camping season as they are up and down every trip. Now during winter storage I put them all up and cover the windows with car shades..these work very good. When the new season starts my blind all have pleats and I believe they stay a lot cleaner longer if anything!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I wonder if those little hand held steamers would do the trick on cleaning the shades???Any one have any experience with these hand held models???
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #11
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I have a regular sized Jiffy steamer (the kind you see in stores) but I would not use steam on the pleated shades as it would relax the pleats. Just my two cents!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #12
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
This is going to be what I consider one of my mre off the wall questions, but as I tell my students, the only dumb question is the one you do not ask…

Is there any way to loosen the day/night shades from the wall—at least at the bottom”and then put them back securely? I ask because we bought the unit with its own stash of lady bugs and some of them are hiding behind the day/night shades. Marsha would not allow me to touch them out of fear of not being able to put it back correctly. I would appreciate any help as I want those bugs out of the camper!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote