Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #41
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
DEF shelf life is 12 months if stored under 86 degrees. Up to 95 it is 6 months. so mainly just don't buy it and stick it somewhere hot for a few months. Most parts of the country don't stay over 85 for long, so I would think just don't buy it at a gas station that has it sitting out side in the heat.
That's just plain weird. I've read that same tripe many places. If that were the case, owning a truck in Texas or the southwest would subject the DEF to extremely high temps when it is "stored" in the vehicle DEF tank - even rolling down the hot highway or parking in the driveway for extended periods of time. So the entire south U.S. should be having DEF issues all summer long which can be 6 months long in some parts of the country.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 AM   #42
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
RoadRunnerTR21 wrote....

"My code was 122035133271. By breaking the code down, you can tell when this batch was produced. Here is how you can do that:

First 2 digits is the plant code. So mine was 12.

The next 2 digits tell me the year it expires. However, in order to tell when it was made you have to subtract 1. Since my code said 20 and I subtract 1 that gives me 19 for 2019.

The next 3 digits represent a Julian day which is better known as the day of the year it expires. However, you will need to subtract the stamped 3 digit code from 365 to determine the day it was made. Since my code said 351 and I subtract 351 from 365, that gives me 14. The 14th day of the year is Jan 14.

This simply means that the manufacture/blend date for the box I bought was Jan 14, 2019. As of this posting that was 9 days ago so I'd say that is pretty fresh....."

Not saying this is wrong but it is a bit of an overthink IMHO.

Now if it was me... and knowing that properly stored DEF is good for ~2 years...

If I was shopping for DEF and was looking for the code, knowing the portion of the code consisting of "20351" was it's expiration date as 2020 day 351 (or around dec 15, 2020) would be easier to understand than trying to back date it to when it was made. Simply put, look for the highest number in that sub-group on the code... that is your selection. If the dates on the product are less than 1 year away... go shop elsewhere.

Just my way of thinking on this. On the store shelf, most flunkies do not pay too much attention to putting the new stock at the back like they should, but you as the consumer should be checking for newest stock(the one with the furthest out expiration date) every time you buy it. Caveat emptor.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #43
Carv
Established Member

M.O.C. #22627
BiggarView, Thanks Great info!
Carv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #44
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
Be sure the DEF is fresh. Learn to read the use by date codes. Shelf life varies by storage temperatures and conditions.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote