Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
River Rats
Established Member

M.O.C. #1855
What do you keep in your part-time RV?

Hi All,

Not sure if I'm in the correct forum, (please let me know) but I've been wondering what part timers keep in their RV's? We go camping every 4 - 6 weeks and loading and unloading kitchen supplies, etc gets old. Anyone have any hints?

We have a 298RLS/2005.

Thanks so much for the information!
Riverrats in Arkansas

River Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Our "part-time" Montana is loaded with everything except perishable foods and most clothing. We do keep a few change of outfits, coats, shoes, raingear and one umbrella in there also.

Our kitchen is fully stocked with all utinsels, mixing bowls, pots & pans, paper towels, baggies in sandwich, 1 quart and 1 gallon size. We mostly use paper plates, paper cereal bowls, plastic spoons and forks but we also have a set of plastic dishes.

We keep some canned and boxed goods. We also buy our spices from Long's Drugs or Rite-Aid as they sell them for $1 a bottle. That's a great price compared to what grocery stores sell spices for. Each Spring I throw out the old spices and buy all new bottles.

Our medicine cabinet is fully stocked with everything one would want except any prescription drugs. We have tylenol, ibuprofen, Neosporin, Betadyne, bandages, q-tips, scissors, suntan lotion, Solarcaine, shampoo & conditioner, bath soap, disposible razors, toothpaste, dental floss and more.......

We keep towels, sheets, pillowcases, pillows, blankets and 3 sleeping bags.

Gosh, there is too much to list. But we could actually just jump in and go within 30 minutes of deciding to leave.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Same here. We keep everything we need and make notes while we are out if we need to restock anything. We have a picnic basket we fill with perishables and a laundry basket for clothing items and we can get ready to be on the road in a jiffy. If I know we are going out on the weekend, I will take things out to the trailer during the week as I wash them or buy them. We still forget things occasionally but we are getting better at it.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would have to agree with the rest, I leave my coach at the lake all summer and usually only use one to two days a week. That thing is fully stocked with everything but the fresh food I bring each time. The pantry has the main can and boxed goods, and all the pots, pans, blankets and all stay in the coach all year including storage. It is great after work to just head to the lake with the clothes I have on. No need to pack and unpack every week. Works out well. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:52 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Keep as much on board as you can, buy two of everything, two coffee pots, one for the stick built, one for the RV.

I do check over the supplies as I am onloading fresh groceries, to be sure we have weather appropriate clothing (which in Michigan means we have swim suits to winter coats, all year long) or special items (like when we go to the lake and want fishing gear).

We have to onload dog supplies each time, as those are not duplicated. Be sure to take doggie emergency kit and presriptions and any special food they need.

Dirty clothes are kept seperate from "house" clothes, washed seperately and put back in the RV.

Try to keep it simple, easy and fun, so go forth River Rats and have fun! (welcome to the forum and love that user name!

You can probably pick up good used kitchen pots, pans, etc at garage sales, I did buy new stuff when we got our 5er last June, but had used older stuff, some from garage sales since 1972 in one tent, one pop-up and two hard sided TT's.

Enjoy!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:00 AM   #6
River Rats
Established Member

M.O.C. #1855
Thank you for replying. Keeping it partly stocked will be so much easier than loading everything in each time. I'm going to stock ours and try "not" to bring everything back in each time ( it drives my husband nuts .)

I like the idea about the spices. We have a place that I can buy them for under a dollar so I'll be making a trip to stock up.

Thanks everyone for your information. Maybe we'll see you on the road.

Brenda & Harvey
Old 08-27-2004, 06:19 AM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Hey River Rats... I forgot to tell you that when we first bought our Montana, I went to the "Dollar Store" and bought all sorts of great things there, all for a $1 or less. Plastic bowl sets all with lids, measuring cups & spoons, spatulas and big cooking spoons, silverware (still gotta have a set of the real metal stuff!), placemats for the table and even a smaller size dish strainer and mat.

They even had a big bin of vinyl tablecloths (4 for $1) and I use those for the tables at the campgrounds as I can leave those out the whole time we are there and then toss them when we leave. Sometimes our "Dollar Store" will have that type of tablecloth that is in the box like foil and you just tear off how much you need for the table.

I measured the depth of some of our cabinets, including the one over the bathroom vanity, and was able to buy some small plastic bins that fit into the shelving. They work very nicely in keeping smaller things upright and from crashing around during travel, plus I can cram more stuff into the shelving with those bins!

It's a great way to stock up the Montana and not go broke during the process.

Happy camping!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:40 AM   #8
River Rats
Established Member

M.O.C. #1855
D & M,
What great ideas. I'll have to make a trip to our local Dollar store because I definately need the plastic bins and the throw away tablecloths if I can find them and no telling what else I might find that I need.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

River Rats / Arkansas
Old 08-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
We too leave as much as possible in the trailer. We just load perishable foods (the freezer stays full)and we stay plugged in all season so fridge in always on. Just need to load baby things and we are ready!

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:41 PM   #10
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Ditto here too. We are fully set up and can pull out at the drop of a penny. Only thing to throw into Monty is perishable food stuff, dog food and change of clothing! What a life!!!!!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We also keep the trailer ready to go. We usually have enough clothes in it that we can go at any time. My wife does the laundry when we get home and puts it back in. We keep it plugged in and only need to put in some food.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 09:41 AM   #12
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Gotta love the Dollar Store! I even found some great heavy acrylic bowls, storage containers, potholders, large storage containers for under the rig, and the list goes on. Whenever I am there I stock up on the gift bags
Old 08-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #13
River Rats
Established Member

M.O.C. #1855
Thanks everyone for all the helpful hints. My husband is tickled that he won't be loading and unloading so much stuff. Now, if I can just keep from cleaning out the whole RV everytime...

Brenda
Old 08-28-2004, 12:51 PM   #14
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We clean as we go. I carry a box of Swifters for quick dusting. I keep a Mr. Clean Eraser at each sink for easy cleaning. We do things as we put things away to come home. Hubby does wash the truck and rig every time after we get home. Except for those spider webs that appear out of nowhere, the rig stays pretty clean.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:02 AM   #15
River Rats
Established Member

M.O.C. #1855
Thank you for all the tips. About leaving clothes in the camper so you can be ready to go.....I'll have to buy more clothes

River Rats
Old 08-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #16
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by River Rats

Hi All,

Not sure if I'm in the correct forum, (please let me know) but I've been wondering what part timers keep in their RV's? We go camping every 4 - 6 weeks and loading and unloading kitchen supplies, etc gets old. Anyone have any hints?

We have a 298RLS/2005.

Thanks so much for the information!
Riverrats in Arkansas
I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here, River Rats. When we were part timers, I eventually set up our camper like a second home. It was our travelin' vacation home. Obviously, I didn't keep the cold stuff in it, but most everything else. The thought of loading and unloading.....ugh! Founds lots of great buys at yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores, and.....Wal-Mart
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:35 PM   #17
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
YOu mean some people load and unload? Diana had a marvellous time kitting out the TT with everything needed (and I mean everything) to be on the road in minutes. Only thing needed to be on the way are clothes (some always on board - from cold weather coats to swimming stuff -Canada is the great white north after all but it can swelter up here as well). Food is a little more difficult - we are usually trying to head south so we have to consider what is verboten to the Dept of Agriculture in the US! No meat, dairy, Fruit etc.

This may be part time but when we decide to go we want to be going not loading! Our part time this year will be about 15/16 weeks. Not enough but still have to work - got a horrible boss (oops that's me)!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:58 PM   #18
Doug and Lorraine
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #123
Our 5ver has everything in it except for food and clothes. I try to clean things before we leave the campground or will clean the week before we go again. I have color coordinated sheets, blanket and towels that I wash and put on again. We camp maybe 2-3 weekends a month from April thru November.
Doug and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:25 AM   #19
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I'm like the rest of the people here and keep anything and everything I can in the trailer and just leave it here. If someone were to steal it, they could live in it with no problem. LOL Seriously....

We have the coffee pot, toaster and electric griddle, which are musts for us. The griddle is wonderful for everything from pancakes to burgers if you don't want to fire up the grill. The regular kitchen stuff (plates, silverware, cups, mixing bowls, pots and pans, utensils, mixing cups, tupperware, ziplock bags), you know the stuff like that. Plus we have acrylic martini, margharita and wine glasses and always have a couple bottles of wine in there with other hard liquor if we should want to have anything. Dog food, dog bowls, leashes, collars just stuff for the dog because I kept forgetting all her stuff (poor thing).

1 pair of long pants, socks, underware, shoes, sweatshirt, shorts, t-shirt and jammies ALWAYS stay in there. You never know when you might need them or forget to bring some. All my make up, hair dryer, curling iron, razors and other toiletries. DVD's for the kids to watch, our playstation with games and puzzles and toys for the kids. Bug spray, sunscreen, picnic table cloth with anchors and stuff like that.

Then add chairs, grill, sleeping bags, blankets, pillows and the garb for all of us. I also leave food in there and some spices (garlic salt, seasoned salt, pepper, salt), microwave popcorn, mac & cheese, just easy stuff to prepare and bring hte rest.

At home I have a little plastic container I keep all the condiments in so when it's time to go I just grab the container and I won't forget the ketchup or whatever.

See, you could steal it and park far away from anyone and be just fine with that's in there. But we like to be comfortable.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:58 AM   #20
Montana_993
Established Member

M.O.C. #993
We also have our 5er stocked and ready to go - beginning around February when I go to the drugstore, I just buy two of everything as far as toiletries - I figure if I would need it in my "stick" house, I might want it over the summer when we are part-timing.

Another thing that I have is two sets of sheets. When one comes off, the other goes on. That way I don't need to have an unmade bed until we go back out or get to do laundry, it is ready to go. Also have two sets of towels in case things don't dry out in the damp or humid weather.

Always keep a list going of what is needed so when we go to Walmart - every other day - we can restock. Which is another reason we do not "stress" too much on forgetting food items. There is always a store of some sort close by for picking up what you might need.
Montana_993 is offline   Reply With Quote