Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Question on Email with New MiFi

Just picked up a Verizon MiFi for a 30 day trial. Between camping weekends and all the work travel (in the air 7 of the last 8 weeks) I am looking for a way to stay connected. I am wondering if there is a way to use my roadrunner pop-server while using my MiFi. I don't want two email accounts and I don't want to change my wi.rr.com email address. In layman's terms, I want to Send and Receive email in outlook, not just receive. I am receiving fine. Thanks in advance.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I think you have to change the POP address to the local ISP {Verizon?} POP to send. I think SMPT is the receive address and works as is, it may be the other way around. I use gmail and Linux so don't know for sure.
Hope that makes some sort of sense.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ron,
First, I don't know much about RR, but here is my take.

RR is nothing more than a service provider. If you set up Outlook to receive their POP server and send to their SMTP serve you should receive all your email on outlook.

As an example, I uses SBCGLOBAL.NET which was taken over by ATT so my POP mail server is

pop.att.yahoo.com running on port 995

My sending server is:

smtp.att.yahoo.com running on port 465

So you need to know what the POP and SMTP servers are, and the port number they are running on. I have 10 email accounts on sbcglobal (mostly for trash give aways when someone at a convention asks for an email address.

Since everyone runs off of a server the key to receiving your email is the user ID (UID) and password (PW).

Using a browser and the correct UID and PW you can get to your email just using IE or Firefox and would not need to use outlook or, in my case Thunderbird. However, using a client on your computer is more GUI than internet email, in my opinion.

Try searching on "setting up roadrunner email" without the quotes and you should get some information that will help you.

Think of the MiFi as just a tool sitting between your computer and the internet. RR is part of the internet.

p.s., here is a link for RR webmail RR Webmail
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Ron: I suspect the problem is that RR won't let you access their SMTP server (which you need to SEND e-mail) if you are not directly connected to their network. When you are at home, RR provides the network connection (IP address) and you are inside their network. When using your MiFi you are on Verizon's network and assigned one of their IP addresses. The Verizon supplied IP address is outside the RR netwrok and unable to connect to RR's SMTP server. Consequently, you can't send e-mail. Strangely enough RR has no problem with you using another provider's IP address to access their POP Server so you can receive any e-mail they have stored for you.

There is no need to configure a different e-mail account just to use the MiFi. You only have to change the Outlook configuration to use a different SMTP Server. Not knowing which version of Outlook you are using, I can't give you the specific process. But get to your "E-Mail Accounts" box and click on "Change". You should get a new pop-up with fields for Your Name, E-mail Address, Server Information (Account Type, Incoming mail server, and Outgoing mail server (SMTP)) followed by Logon Information. Do a Google search on "setting up roadrunner email in outlook" and you should get lots of help.

You want to change your "Outgoing mail server (SMTP)" from RR's server to one that is generally available regardless of which network supplies your connection. WayenM uses Yahoo's (which may be AT&T network specific) and it seems to work. I use Gmail's (smtp.gmail.com) and I know it works on a whole bunch of different networks.

You don't have to change the SMTP Server name back to RR's when you are at home and connected to their network. It is perfectly acceptable to use GMail's SMTP Server on RR's network. They won't care (or know).

I have tried to use a browser-based E-mail for three months and have gone back to Outlook. The ads, limited real estate to work in, and missing features drove me nuts. At least with Gmail, I can use IMAP (which leaves the e-mail on their server) so I can use either Outlook or the web browser (in an emergency) to access e-mail. Now if I could figure out why my "Deleted" e-mails disappear rather than moving to the "Trash" folder, I will be done.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
quote:When using your MiFi you are on Verizon's network and assigned one of their IP addresses. The Verizon supplied IP address is outside the RR netwrok and unable to connect to RR's SMTP server. Consequently, you can't send e-mail. Strangely enough RR has no problem with you using another provider's IP address to access their POP Server so you can receive any e-mail they have stored for you.
Carl n Susan is exactly correct in the above analysis. I have a local ISP which allows me to access my incoming mail anywhere in the world, but will not allow me to send email unless I am directly connected to their server.

My solution is to set the SMTP outgoing server to my gmail account. That allows me to send email anywhere in the world. It works just as Carl n Susan suggests. I have never found any situation in which it does not work.

Please note: this has nothing to do with the email program your use. It would be the same with Outlook, Incredimail, Thunderbird, etc. You may have other reasons to prefer one of these programs, but it is not likely to be because of the need for a different SMTP setting when not connected directly to your ISP server. That has to do with the policy about outgoing mail required by your ISP.

It's not that I am an expert; I just had to find out about why I could not send email when I was not connected directly to my local ISP when I was on the road in the USA or overseas.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Carl and Padredw -
That is what I guessed. I will change my smtp server in Outlook. I don't have a gmail account, but I might need to do that. I might also see if I can use a Verizon SMTP server. That should work for either.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ron,
Did you see my post on RR Webmail?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Unfortunately, using the Gmail SMTP server is a little more difficult than simply plugging in the url. You have to logon in with a Gmail Id. That is pretty easy to get. Then there is a secure logon required. The documentation on how to do this is very good. But it appears (I am on the road and haven't tested this yet) that any email sent through the Gmail SMTP server will have the Gmail account inserted in the "Sender" field. Not what you want when you are trying to make everyone think you are using RR. There is a Gmail option which will allow you to have a "custom" e-mail address in the "Sender" field. Here is a link to the Gmail info on doing this:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=22370
Pay attention to the part that says:

Your Gmail address will still be included in your email header's sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email clients don't display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From yourusername@gmail.com on behalf of customaddress@mydomain.com."

I guess you will have to try it and see what happens.

Here is another alternative to consider that might be better. If you have a computer at home that is connected to the Internet, you can connect remotely to it from another computer (such as one you carry in the RV). Windows calls this a "Remote Desktop" and you basically get the home PC's screen image (and total functionality) on your remote system. If you can set this up (as always there are some restrictions and tricks) you can send and receive RR e-mail (or anything else your home system can perform) from anywhere in the world.

Otherwise, web based e-mail (yuck!) may be the only viable transparent technique for RR.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Waynem -
I saw yours, but Verizon and most hotel internet access does not allow Port 25 through of smtp servers - which is what the good folks at Roadrunner use. Verizon used to allow this but does not anymore (according to the internet discussions). I did as Padredw and Carl suggested. I used the gmail smtp server, set to use my home email. So I get the Sent from Ronald Ames (myaddress@gmail.com) on behalf of myaddress@wi.rr.com. It works, so I guess that's how I'll do it.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ron,
From Verizon's web site:

"I am using a third party email account. I also use a desktop client to manage my email. What must I do to continue using my third party service?

You have three options:

1. Change your email client to send email using port 587. Click step-by-step instructions to change your port settings now.
2. Use web based email services. Web based e-mail is unaffected by port 25 blocking. Check with your e-mail provider to see if web based access is available.
3. Upgrade to a FIOS or High Speed Internet account with static IP addressing. Business customers may subscribe to static IP addressing."
Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Waynem -

1. Roadrunner does not use port 587, only port 25.
2. I don't like using Webmail, because it doesn't have my contact list and it is very slow to use.
3. Where we live, it's Roadrunner or dialup.

The Gmail SMTP is working. The only thing I don't care for is the "Ron Ames username@gmail.com on behalf of username@wi.rr.com. But it does work. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still waiting for Verizon customer service to come up with another option. If they come up with a more elegeant solution I'll let you know.