Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #21
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
since you are only needing mobile internet for the five months you are on the road i would suggest you consider upgrading one of your verizon cellphones to a model that can tether -- check out this list of phones and make sure software is available for your operating system: http://vzam.net

tethering a phone means no long term contract obligation for data service. turn it on and off whenever you need it just by calling verizon.

fyi, on interentbycellphone group on yahoo, there are many fans of the motorola v750 adventure because of its signal reception. i like it because its known to work with cradlepoint routers, so you can share the internet connection from one tethered phone, with more than one computer via wifi. not sure you can still get that phone, but if you have time before you hit the road i would suggest calling several local stores to see if you get lucky and find one? another good option would be the LG Versa or Dare.

one more thing to watch for about phone tethering. some phones now require a data plan... i am not sure if phones i have recommended fall in that category so make sure before you commit to one?

if you do not like the phone tethering idea, you could go get the usb760 with no 2yr contract for $129.99 at bestbuy. in addition to modem cost, you will have to pay $35 activation fee and then $60/mo, but you can just stop service after the five months... not be tied to a 2yr contract.

the usb760 works great with cradlepoint router like the mbr900

hope this helps?

Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #22
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Alex...what a fantastic plan!! I will definately look into it. I sold my Blackberry Storm on eBay after I retired in Oct. I used it to tether on my laptop. I didn't know that with tethering like that I could also use a router so DH can use his laptop at the same time. I will try eBay first before I buy new. BTW I paid $100 for my Storm and got $200 for it on eBay!! My best transaction ever. It really was in mint condition but I would never have paid that much myself. Great advice Alex, thanks so much!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #23
lenlin84
Established Member

M.O.C. #7530
Since we have been fulltimers we have had T-Mobile for our cell phone service. I used my Motorola cell phone as the modem, it worked fine but slow. I found out that Alltel has an aircard. We pay about $60 a month for unlimited internet service( not limited by number of MB.) We have used Alltel for a year now with no problems.
lenlin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:40 AM   #24
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Well, thanks to all for your replies. We finally decided to go with the Verizon Wireless MIFI system. So far it is working out OK but soooo much slower than our cable internet here at the stick house. We are trying to get use to not having a fast internet and hope that when we travel we might get faster speeds in other areas. I am hoping we can drop the cable when we return in Oct. We'll see. If anyone is interested in how the MIFI works out I will send updates on the performance. Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote