Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Air Card

I have been looking to buy a used Verizon RevA air card. I need an external antenna port on the air card. I have found several USB 727 and a few USB 595 on EBAY. I can't justify entering a 2 year contract as we only part time and when at home we get DSL for $29.00 a month. I don't need a bunch of features. I just need Internet access for a max of 3 months at a time. I can use USB or express type card. Besides the two cards mentioned are there other cards that I should keep an eye out for? I am going to plug the air card into a MBR 1000 and I run WinXP and Windows Vista 32 Bit. Any suggestions or advice on what I should be looking for before I buy? Thanks in advance,
John

WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John,
You might want to look at getting a phone that allows you to just have the one phone that can be used for voice and for data. I believe they call it tethering. I think it helps cut down on not having to have both an air card and a phone. There have been several discussions on this topic over on the Escapees Forum. And EVDOAlex is probably your best bet for getting some good technological info.

We use a regular air card and of course we have a regular voice phone. We have to pay for both a phone and the air card. One of these days we will probably look into the tethering thing. We don't use either one too much so we are overpaying for what we get.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don't have Verizon, but thought they had a program where you could turn the service on and off, pay for a month, turn off for several, turn back on.

Might want to check that out, again, don't use Verizon, so, that is my disclaimer.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Dennis, DW has one year remaining on AT&T Blackberry contract. It will do tethering but AT&T is not so great with data coverage. The Blackberry won't allow external antenna hookup. When her contract is up I think we'll convert to a new phone and a Verizon account. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Q-- John
Carol, Last I checked you are correct on the turn on and off as needed. The 3G store stopped pushing Verizon. Something to do with Verizon not wanting vendors to sell antennas with air cards. I don't know if that means they don't offer Verizon anymore. Thanks,
John
Old 12-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A couple of thoughts/suggestions/ramblings....

The Verizon UM150 aircard is the original and still works terrific (we have one). It has an external antenna adapter port. Verizon keeps offering me a new improved aircard for free but it means giving up my unlimited download plan. Even though I don't use more than 5 gigs in a month, it isn't going to happen as long as the UM150 continues to work.

Before buying an aircard from E-Bay, Craigslist, some guy on a corner, etc. check with Verizon that the card is "unemcumbered" and can be activated. You don't want to buy a card that has outstanding fees, penalties, or other Verizon associated problems with it.

Verizon only offers the "on/off" program for the "tethered" cell phone. The aircard is always "on" and running up the $$$ meter.

The "tethered" cell phone is fine for intermittent use. While in "data" mode, it can't be used for "voice" communications.

I am not sure you can connect a MBR 1000 to a tethered phone. I haven't read of anyone doing that. Of course most users of tethering are infrequent data users and unlikely to have a wireless router. I think Howard and Linda looked at a tethered phone this summer when they couldn't get their satellite to work (too many trees). Maybe they have some information that would help.

I highly recommend a call to EVDOALex!!!! Even though the 3G Store is having a disagreement with Verizon, they sell the MBR 1000 and the adapter cables to connect aircards/cellphones to it. Plus they have a ton of knowledge. If you wait until Wednesday or later in the week (Monday-Tuesday are really busy days), Alex usually will go through all of your options (maybe even some we are not aware of).

The other option, until Roxanne's AT&T contract expires, is to park close to Robbie, Dennis, Steve or me.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Good info Butch,
Sure would like to land one of those unlimited plans. Do you have to keep it active all year or can you turn it of and on as needed when you are on the road? You gave me exactly what I was looking for when you said UM150. Now I have 3 models I can watch for. I have a 1-800 number I can call at Verizon and they will check the pin number of the air card I am considering and tell me if there are outstanding issues.
BTW, Nice pic of the aeriel shot of you and Susan. I tried to zoom in on my place. I think I am outside by the door but too grainy to tell for sure.
See Ya,

John
Old 12-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the verizon USB 727 and the MBR 1000 both on the road and at home. We get DSL speeds at home of 1.2 or higher and also on the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have unlimited Sprint, which if IIRC, is no longer available, Verizon MAY be the same.

Double check that on off thing with the Air card, friend of ours, OntMont, turns his on and off, but believe his is a air card, not a tethered phone. I thought he had Verizon, but, you know, ole leaky memory issues.

That said, THINGS change all the time, ya all know that!
Old 12-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I've been using a tethered phone for over a year. We discontinued our land line and have a shared minutes plan w/two phones and a data plan. It was with Alltel before they were acquired by Verizon. I have a MBR 1000 and the phone works with it even though it's an unsupported. The way I understand Verizons data plans, bottom line, they all cost about the same. They do have a plan that allows you to turn tethering on and off and usage is prorated, 5 gig max. Several thing must fall in place to use a tethered phone with the Cradlepoint at Rev A speeds;the phone must be Rev A compatible and there aren't too many of them; it should also be supported by Cradlepoint although there are some that work and are not supported; you must be in an location that has Rev A capabilities.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WorkerB

Sure would like to land one of those unlimited plans. Do you have to keep it active all year or can you turn it of and on as needed when you are on the road?
The unlimited plans are gone. Any current plan has a 5 GB limit. While 5 GB is more than I ever plan to use, I don't mind sharing the signal with my camping neighbors knowing they can't exceed my limit. I don't know if I can turn it on/off. That is something I need to find out.
Quote:
quote:
BTW, Nice pic of the aeriel shot of you and Susan. I tried to zoom in on my place. I think I am outside by the door but too grainy to tell for sure.
I have some pictures my sister shot when they flew in for a visit. They are too big to e-mail, but you can have them when we meet up in Q. You were obviously were away when she flew over as you can tell from this shot.

See you in a few weeks. Are you still planning to install solar panels in Q???

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just a note.. We are grandfathered on Verizon and the 5GB limit so we are unlimited access. We both use the aircard hard and have never got to the 5GB mark..... That is a lot of data.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
John,

I have the usb 760 from Verizon with port for antena. I believe you can buy it from Verizon and not sign 2 yr contract.
You may want to ask them.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716

Quote:
quote: The Verizon UM150 aircard is the original and still works terrific (we have one). It has an external antenna adapter port. Verizon keeps offering me a new improved aircard for free but it means giving up my unlimited download plan. Even though I don't use more than 5 gigs in a month, it isn't going to happen as long as the UM150 continues to work.

Carl, you might want to check with Verizon.. I am on my third air card from Verizon (2 yr upgrades). Right now we have the USB 175 and have unlimited. Verizon has told us several times that once you are on unlimited you are always on unlimited. That works for us.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hey Wayne You gave me another! I'll add the USB760 to my list of cards that will work for me. I can buy a card from Verizon but they are much money and I'm a tightwad! I have stopped bidding on EBAY at $32.00 for a USB727. One went for $37.00 and another for $35.00. Now that I have a few more model numbers that will work for me I should be able to land a good deal. Thanks for the info.
Butch, yes I am going to bring the solar panels to Q and install them. This is going to be an exercise in perfect planning. I have been fabricating the mounting legs. To buy them on the net, they cost $25.00 each times 4 per panel times six panels equals $600.00 just for the mounting legs. Not as pretty as factory made but total cost to me with material on hand is zero. Did I mention I am a tightwad? Anyway,I have all I need to put it together. So the answer is YUP we're installing 6 solar panels from beginning to end.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #15
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
John, we have high speed at our home so don't want a plan while on the road. With Verizon we tether...consider some issues:
1. cell phone needs to be compatible with tethering (see Verizonwireless web item VZAccess Manager)
2. we have no other equipment but a cell phone, adapter, and the laptop
3. tethering is setup with software available from Verizon's wireless web site VA Access Manager
4. need a cable/adapter to plug into phone USB to laptop. Ebay $4.99
5. No term plan
6. Just call Verizon when activating (dial*611)
7. Pay only a pro-rated cost depending on how many days a month u may use the tethering service. Example: if used for 10 days, you only pay 10/30th's of the $49.99 charge. You would never go over the 5gigs allowed
8. Our cell phone receives calls while on the tethering service
9. Only use it if wifi is not RV park available and that also helps manage the 5 GB max
We use it alot. Not for everyone but another option. Other companies probably also have tethering.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 AM   #16
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hi Dennis,
This would probably be perfect for us if it weren't for our one year remaining AT&T contract. When the contract is up, we will convert from AT&T to Verizon. Then We will have the perfect solution. Tethering when we leave for less than a month and the air card when we will be gone for more than a month. Right now we know we will be gone for at least a month. Now I need to figure out why my laptop has gone insane. Just sitting there doing nothing my laptop downloaded and uploaded a total of 1.6GB info in 9 hours. I have disabled all automatic updates and am now un-installing all software I don't really use. Outside of checking email this A.M. with no attachments, checked facebook, and responded here om MOC.... (That's MOCK) and I have up and down 167.65MB in 5 hours. DW running XP on her laptop playing Pogo all the time has a combined transfer of 500MB between Dec 1 and Dec 20. Go figure! Thanks Dennis you made it really easy to understand.
John
Old 12-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John,
From the sounds of your description of the uploading and downloading you may have a virus.

Dennis
Old 12-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
John,

those numbers sound high to me too, and I am a HUGE bytes user.

the last 4 months, or so, I have exceeded the 5 GIG monthly limits several times. thankfully, we are unlimited.

2 computers, and me the heavy heavy user, down and up loading lots of files, graphics, etc.

I never thought I would go over either, but, sighhhh, I have been.

but, to use that much in a day??? Something does not seem right. GULP
Old 12-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #19
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
That was my first thought on Dec 1 when we started monitoring our Internet usage using trial version of Net Meter. Tried ISP provided CA Same as McCaffee = No virus. Tried AVG = No virus. SpyBot = revealed nothing bad. Did backup and did a complete restoral from Drive D: Installed Microsoft essentials. Still acting weird. Called ISP no help. Have a friend (Past Co-Worker)that works at ISP that will watch my traffic on a bit by bit basis and determine exactly what I am sending and to who tomorrow. That one's gonna cost me! If all else fails I'm gonna do a DOD wipe and install vista from Cd's. After that I will monitor usage as I add software like Adobe, Office, HP printer software etc. Who knows maybe Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein got mad at me for putting letters in their suggestion box!
Old 12-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John,
If there is no virus then the only thing that might cause that kind of numbers would be some major updating going on automatically. Don't know why there would be that much upload but you could easily have big numbers on downloads. MicroSoft updating can have huge numbers from what I remember.

Later,
Dennis