Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Tethering cell phone to computer vice aircard

I was at the Verizon store last night checking into upgrading our phones and maybe going to a Blackberry type phone for email. Just keep the notebook computer for the internet. I asked the salesman if the phone could provide the internet connection, like the aircard, for my notebook computer and he said some of the phones have that capability, called tethering.

My current Verizon cell phone has more bars then my notebook using a Verizon aircard with an external antenna. With the rebate on new phones I can do all of this for less cost them I am paying now for two phones and an aircard. He also said I can stop the tethering feature during times I don’t need it and save that expense.

Are any of you using this tethering feature with you cell phone and if so how is it working for you?

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have an AT&T Blackberry I can connect to the internet via the USB cable with no problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I used the LG Dare from Verizon for the entire month of September on a 4000+ mile trip in our RV. It worked fine everywhere we needed it (we used camp WIFI when it was available). The beauty of tethering is that you can have it 'cut off' anytime you do not need it and there is no charge or contract involved.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
dwstockman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7272
We have the Verizon Blackberry Storm and the tethering feature has worked flawless. It might not be quite as fast as WiFi but it meets our needs and it's cost effective because you only pay for it when you need it.
dwstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We use a tethered Motorola for our stick house and on the road.The plan expense is about the same as for an aircard without the cost of buying the aircard. The speed is is a lot slower if you happen to be in an area that doesn't support Rev. A. Also most phones don't have an external antenna connection. If you get a phone call while using internet access, you must choose between the call and the internet. I don't have a problem with the limitations of the tethering system. You may want to research Cradlepoint and kyrocera routers if you want to connect with more than one computer at a time. A lot of phones are not supported for tethering with those devices.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I tether with our Verizon Samsung cellphone periodically. All I do is call VerizonWireless and tell them to activate feature and when done to deactivate it. I pay for number of days per month usage, i.e., if 16 day use, I pay 16/30th's of the monthly tethering bill. I never exceed 5 gig of the plan. I got the software download from Verizon Wireless website and bought the cable from ebay. I receive calls on cell while on the internet and simply "flash" to receive the call and internet stays connected. It fits our needs due to home broadband already in place.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
OK I bought a Blackberry yesterday and have been trying to learn to use it, might be a big job. I was told when I tether through the phone I no longer have a limit on connection time or the 5GB usage like with the aircard, unlimited time and transfers. Should I research this more?

As far as checking and sending emails I don't see using the PC any longer. I have the phone setup to ding when one comes in so I read them and done. Typing on the Blackberry is not that bad.

I am having a problem getting on MOC via the phone. I go to the website with a bookmark but signing in seems to be a problem. Any comments on what might be the problem?

I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep the phone.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #8
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
OK, I signed into MOC on the phone and can bring up the form to type a reply. Keyboard didn't come up so I punched some buttons and got the keyboard and tried to post but seemed to have lost the post.

Tried again but can't get the keyboard to come up so I can write a message?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
OhioRVHawk

M.O.C. #9876
Send a message via AIM to OhioRVHawk Send a message via MSN to OhioRVHawk Send a message via Yahoo to OhioRVHawk
Now this is something I can help with (being a new person to the forums) if some are having problems with tethering their phones to the laptops, there is software that can help you do it. I have a Motorola Moto Q. I read AT&Ts articles and such, found out that it can be done, so i did a little surfing (seeing this phone can be stubborn at times) and found a little piece of software called PdaNet http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php this little piece of software will connect I-phones, Blackberrys, and others to make it easy to connect their laptops to the cell phones. it works perfectly and flawless, I can even answer the phone if someone calls me while I am surfing the internet.

now mind you its not DSL speeds, but you can get to where you want to , and not have to strain your eyes to post something on the internet from your cell. I have used it through out Ohio area with little problems (the only place I do have some problems is Delaware State Park in Ohio) some areas there you can even get a tower. but its great, and keeps your phone charged too. it may be something to look into if you do tethering.
OhioRVHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I pulled the Verizon 727 modem card out, deleted associated VZAccess software. Loaded the Verizon tethering software and up it came using my BlackBerry. Runs the same speed as the 727 card but transfers are faster? I still have the 5GB restriction but most I used in a month with the 727 card was under 1.2GB. My time online is unlimited via the BlackBerry. Looks like a nice setup for half the monthly charge using the 727 card.

Verizon said I can sell the time left my contract for the 727 card and transfer the card. If someone took me up on this I don't have the pay the termanation fee on my contract.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:56 AM   #11
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I called Verizon to cancel my Broadband card knowing it was going to cost me $135.00 for early cancellation. I learned that I could make in inactive and add to my family plan for $9.99 month, which is couple dollars cheaper. Now I have more time to try and get rid of it away.

I am happy with the tethering feature of the Storm 2 and don’t see going over the 5GB limit. Infact I use the computer very little since I do all my email on the cell. Kind of hard to look at MOC and some other sites on that little screen.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I got rid of the air card. I gave it to a family member and went with her to Verizon and they transfered it to her account so she took over my 2nd year of the contract for not problems.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
zema

M.O.C. #10041
Cyrus
We tethered our phone thru Verizon for the first time last summer. It workeds great. Can't use the phone while using the computer, but is a small price to pay. Cheaper than buying the air card.
zema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
This is an interesting topic as I am going through some of the same considerations as the folks on this topic. If any of you are considering upgrading your cell phones or changing carriers you can send me a PM and I can point you to a web site where you can do one stop comparison of all major carriers, their phones/aircards, and their rates.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Swapped my old phone for a Motorola Droid at Verizon this past Monday and am using the PDAnet software to tether. Works great and I can also receive calls when connected.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #16
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
I've been tethering my LG EnV2 with Verizon on and off for about the last year. It works well where you have a signal, but it IS slow compared to my cable modem at the stick house, and slower than most wi-fi connections I've seen.

The new version of VZAccessManager (version 7.2.9.1) includes a text message reader, so that you can access any text messages that come in while on line.

Definitely more cost effective for us than an aircard.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:34 AM   #17
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by db_engineer

I've been tethering my LG EnV2 with Verizon on and off for about the last year. It works well where you have a signal, but it IS slow compared to my cable modem at the stick house, and slower than most wi-fi connections I've seen.

The new version of VZAccessManager (version 7.2.9.1) includes a text message reader, so that you can access any text messages that come in while on line.

Definitely more cost effective for us than an aircard.
Your phone is 1xEV-DO rel O, if/when you upgrade to a rev A phone you will get faster downloads.
As a note, check with your Verizon rep [not online] about a new Palm Pre Plus/Pixi Plus waiver deal. If you're in the free upgrade window you may be able to get one free with a waiver of the smartphone fee.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote