Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
i likes this Verizon

The Verizon U760 USB modem came today as excepted.And very pleased with the speed this thing gets.Not much slower then cable as far as I can tell.A little thing sticking out the side of the PC with no cables or wires connected,what a world we live in huh??

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ain't it great John. The best part is being able to use it anywhere you will find a Verizon signal and finding a Verizon signal is easy from just about anywhere we travel.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the USB 727 and the 760 is the latest upgrade. We normally get Rev-a speeds of 1 meg or better and have seen as high as 2.2 meg. Here at home we get 1.1 meg most of the time. We do have that 3db booster and that helps in low signal areas. Verizon coverage is very good all over the country and most of the time if we can not get a signal no one else can.

Try this to check your speed http://www2.verizon.net/micro/speedtest/hsi/
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don't come to where we are! No signal for phone or computer. 9 miles south of Pagosa Springs, CO. Beautiful, beautiful country.
Happy Trails.................................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
Be aware, however, if you travel to Canada and use it you're subject to roaming fees. I was unaware and had never been told in my 2006 unlimited data contract. Imagine my shock when, after two weeks, I encountered a $5200. roaming bill.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The international roaming fee in Canada for Verizon is.69 per min. Thats for cell phone. Don't know about a data card??
Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
Oh, O.K. I thought the thread was regarding a USB Modem. My error I guess.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
No, you are right, this topic is about USB modem devices. What is the roaming charge for a Verizon aircard in Canada?

$5,200 would get my attention quickly. Where you able to reduce it?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We can easily forget that Canada is a foreign country, that they have different services. It doesn't help that they speak almost the same language, eh? Unlike Mexico, where Spanish is predominant and I don't speak it.

Watch out for roaming charges there! We mustn't forget that it was reported that the richest man in North America (and maybe many parts of the world) is a Mexican National involved in telephone communications amongst other things. He didn't get there by charging cheap roaming rates. Maybe with the exchange rate of Peso vs Dollar it would not be so bad, como si, como no?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
Carl, apparently it varies. Based on my experience, I'd suggest you contact Verizon directly and ask them what your contract indicates. I have a 2006 unlimited data contract w/o notification of Canada roaming charges, so I'm fighting with Verizon. Currently the opened with a 33% reduction offer which I said was unacceptable. As of this moment, I'm waiting for a p/c from the reviewing asst. director..........yeah, right. I have, however cancelled my auto pay and credit card which have been in place for almost three years.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You need to be careful even when traveling in the USA and near the Canada border as you may pick up on a Canadian tower and incur roaming charges. You can call Verizon and they can cause a red triangle to appear on your cell or your VZ if you are roaming. Verizon had the " global access monthly plan" for 129.99 for 5GB of DATA usage and .25 cents per GB over 5GB. (don't know if that is up to date.) If you just go up there and use it you will get a big surprise. Verizon does have agreement with Canadian companies (Rogers I Think) so it will work but you will be roaming
Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Getting back to Harleydriver ----------- Hope you enjoy your aircard - I love mine, it's the best thing since sliced bread!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
RichFAA, that's the plan the current "worker-bee" is trying to enroll me in in order to cover the $5200, which was just about 5GB's. A map download from Garmin.............so that's an indication of what ignorance can lead you into.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Getting back to Harleydriver ----------- Hope you enjoy your aircard - I love mine, it's the best thing since sliced bread!
Thanks David & J0-Anna,yes i do love this thing.I was kind of worried about going over the 5GB limit.But being as 1024MB equals one GB I don`t believe I will ever use that much in a month.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We thought we would NEVER exceed the 5 gig limit, but, recently Sprint has been printing the useage numbers. We have been close several months and last month, over we went.

SIGHHHHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carol. We are not subject to the 5GB limit with Verizon. That only affected new customers when it went into effect. Harley rider.. verizon reports data usage. Keep a eye on it. You may be surprised at what you can use. Deadeye.. It is easy to ovelook that Canada is a Foreign country.We are just across Lake Erie and when out on some of the Islands we will pick up Canadian Cell towers. We do not use our cell phone much when up north for a few days and never the data card.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #17
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I sure love my Verizon Card. We are on our third upgrade and they just keep getting better and better... We also have the Cradlepoint router so both Bill and I can use our laptops at the same time... We spend a lot of time in Canada... Last summer we went all the way to Newfoundland and to avoid getting caught in roaming charges we put the air card on hold for three months.. There was a one charge of $15.00 for this but we did not have to pay the monthly fee during this time.. I relyed on Cananian wifi coverage and actually got on line at most campgrounds although not as fast as with the aircard.

I like it even better than sliced bread.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote