Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
ALASKA & CANADA cell and internet

I know quite a few MOCers are headed to Alaska this summer and many have already taken that trip. I understand cell phone and air card service can be sparce. Before I research this to death - I'd love to hear any solutions any of you have come up with!

As always, thanks in advance.

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Jo-Anna, the best advice I can give you for cell phone is a satellite phone. When we were planning to move from Alaska to Canada, we researched cell phone companies that would provide service in both countries. Couldn't find a thing. We ended up renting a satellite phone to take with us (then ended up not moving). I highly suggest the rental of a satellite phone for the trip. On edit: my inlaws, have Alltel and found a plan they could change over to which would include Canada. Unfortunately, we do not have Alltel around here for us to use.

Air cards I can't help you with too much. I can tell that we weren't able to find one to work in Alaska for several reasons. Such as, lack of cell towers, remoteness, etc.

Good luck!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I am pretty sure that Verizon has a plan that will let you roam in Canada without roaming or LD charges. This would only be for voice. The Verizon Air Card will work in Canada, but the Mb roaming charge for data is pretty steep. It may be OK if you just do a few emails. (I would suspect Sprint would offer a similar package).

I can't talk from personal experience, but friends told us that you can get cell service most of the way along the main highways to Alaska. You could check the coverage maps provided by Bell Mobility, Tellus, and Rogers, they are the main providers in Canada.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
We have Verizon mobile, and when traveling through Canada we switched to the North America plan to avoid the very high roaming charges. Switched back after we returned to lower 48. Coverage in AK was limited to towns/cities when we were there in '05. For computer, we looked for CGs w/wi-fi. If you go up the Cassier Hwy. plan to be out of touch for awhile?!!! And, e careful going downhill on steep grades, there is usually a turn, bridge, or town at the bottom!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
JoAnna-

We have Alltel and plan to get the plan that covers Canada, probably called a North American Plan, that will cost an additional $10 a month. I am concerned about our Directv working. Sounds to me like you have to have an incredibly large dish or camp at sites where there is cable tv. I am wondering if we will be able to access Directtv in Canada. Anyone that has information on this, please respond. Thanks, Karen
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Karen, I don't know about the Direct TV in Canada, but in Alaska you need a 1 meter dish. The small ones used in the lower 48 will not work here. And, because the dish is pointed so low to the ground, you must have a CLEAR, UNOBSTRUCTED view of the southern horizon. It is doable, if you can get that clear line of site with the proper size dish.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
In relation to Aircard. I am no expert on this but it may be that you have roaming agreements with your current Aircard service provider. It is worth checking. The downside is that they probably have a roaming surcharge. Here is one of the providers in Canada.

Please use the short form to post long links! Thank you, RVWheels

http://your.rogers.com/business/wireless/products/
business_products_details.asp?PRODUCTID=
AC860R&summary=1
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
When we went to Alaska in 2005, I had Verizon coverage in Seward, I think, and Glen had Alltel (Cingular) coverage in Valdez. There are visitor's centers in almost every town along the way and they have several computers which visitors can use for a short time for a donation. The time is more limited if there are other people waiting. We used an internet cafe in Banff. In large cities, we 'accidently' found ourselves parked next to a hotel or business that kept their airways open.

In 2005, we were told that the cheapest way to phone home was via the phone cards sold at Walmart. It's quite easy to stay connected to the USA if you're a little creative.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Here's Alltel's coverage area for their North American Plan:

NA Plan Map

I believe their's and Verizon's will be identical - same towers and network. I'll bet the same price, too.

Not sure if these coverage area would be what you are looking for, but seems to be in the traveled areas of Canada.

Our son and daughter in law live in Saskatchewan. When we travel to visit them, we will switch over to the NA Plan then switch back when back in the US as Alltel allows switching of plans at anytime.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote