Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
It's one thing or another

Well nbow it seens that the water pump might be losing its prime, Checked all the pipe connections that I could reach,all tight and no signs of water drips. Every once in awhile especialy early am hours the pump will run, and it seems to run longet and longer, this morning had to get up and shut pump off. it almost acts like it is losing its prime as when it is turned on it takes awhile to pressure up. Every time a faucet is turned on or the toilet flushed it takes longet for pump to shut off. Could the pump be going bad??
thanks for advice
Allen

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The pump is not loosing it's prime - you have a leak.

Sorry!

I would start by looking for traces of water coming out of the belly and work up.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The pump is not loosing it's prime - you have a leak." Roger that...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

The pump is not loosing it's prime - you have a leak.

Sorry!

I would start by looking for traces of water coming out of the belly and work up.
I agree with bsmeaton you have a leak. As you stated you do not find water anywhere so your thought of loosing prim may be it. The pump may be leaking back into the tank.
If you have a air tank with a pressure gage hook it up to the city supply and put not more than 60 lb pressure on the system. let it set for an hour and see how much pressure is left. If it drops and again no water leaks then I would look at the pump as the culprit.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I had a similar problem. Neither I nor the dealer could find a leak, the dealer decided the pump was the culperate. I did not listen very closely but the dealer said something about a check valve. I believe it was what John referred to, pump leaking back into the tank. The dealer installed a new pump but I have not used it since so do not know if my problem is fixed.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Mine involved a check valve in the pump that allowed water to seep back into the fresh water tank. It got so bad that we only used the pump when we needed water. I've since replaced it with an Extreme Sensor 5.7 pump.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Could well be the check valve above, but also check the external shower (hot and Cold water) connections in the convience center. Make sure they are turned off as well. Found if they were on, while I drove, when I stopped and turned on the water pump, it ran to pressurize the system. This happened 3 times on one trip, till I found that I had left the cold water open. I could not find a leak but the hose and sprayer must have been been leaking.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Like stated before leak somewhere or pump. No loosing prime as these pumps are self priming mo need to prime them.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Do a quick check on your fresh tank fill switch. I once did not get my closed and the pump continued to try to pressurize. That does not sound like your problem, but it is an quick a check.
Bernie
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #10
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Still no water leaks around pipes or on the underbelly of 5er, so am beginning to think it is the pump.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It could be the pump diaphragms or check valve, but don't overlook the toilet valve that could be passing into the bowl, or maybe you have a leak into a clothes washer if you have one.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote