Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #21
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Looked at the P1700i, the controlls all look just like the Kipor that I have. Price is about $100 cheaper while on sale. Looks like who ever makes the Honda, Kipor, and now Onan has set up a good distribution network and found a niche.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #22
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Phil, we boondock quite a bit. Like others, I have two Honda EU2000's that I parallel together. I found using one was just too inconsistent. It also depends on what elevation you will be using them at. I can run my microwave here at home in the desert with just one. Up in the mountains it's a whole different story. They lose something like 3% of their power for every 1000' in elevation gain. I may be off on my numbers but you get the idea. As far as storage and security, I usually keep the Honda's locked in a steel cargo box on the back of the fiver. My Mountaineer already had the factory bike rack on it, so I modified it a bit so I could use it to carry my Honda's. I then lock the box to the rack with hitch pins from the inside. The generator box will also fit in the bed of my truck in between the hitch and cab if I choose to put it there. I love this set up since I have the option of using it or not depending upon where I am going. I also have the front storage of the fiver for my batteries and a few other odd n ends. The downside to this setup compared to a built in is no remote start, but somehow I make due! Here are a few pics.

AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sweet! Very nice job.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #24
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
You made your own JUICE BOX!!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #25
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

You made your own JUICE BOX!!!
Haha....never thought of it that way. The difference is mine is about 2K cheaper...not plastic and I can run it going down the road.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
AZCampinfool,

That is one nice looking box. It's the kind of thing I'd like to put on my rig. Can you run them while they're in the box? If so how do you start them if you don't have electric start? It does not look like you have room to pull the rope start while in the box. Is the bar that goes through the handle the only thing holding them in place? If so do they move around?

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:12 AM   #27
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

AZCampinfool,

That is one nice looking box. It's the kind of thing I'd like to put on my rig. Can you run them while they're in the box? If so how do you start them if you don't have electric start? It does not look like you have room to pull the rope start while in the box. Is the bar that goes through the handle the only thing holding them in place? If so do they move around?

HamRad
HamRad, I do run them while they are in the box. Contrary to what you would think, they are actually quieter in the box. If you look at the pictures you will see that the Honda's are offset just a bit from each other. That provides enough room on the sides to pull the rope start. The crossbars are the only thing holding them in place. They are positioned so that they hold the generators down and against the sides of the box. There is not much play in the setup so there is no way for the Hondas to move forward or bounce around. I have traveled about 5000 miles with the box on the back, and so far I have not had any issues.