Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
UPDATE on LucyLou

LucyLou, having surgery tomorrow. She had a urinary tract problem for about 2 weeks. Our vet was away and didn't get to see him when I first took her in. Took her to our vet today because she has not improved much on the antibiotics that were given. Today our vet did ex rays and found stones. Poor little girl. Quite a few stones! He said they need to come out.
Need prayers please. This one is Don's dog.

Thanks
Dusty

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dusty, we had the same problem with one of Schnauzers. Seems like she recovered pretty fast. Good luck to LucyLou.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you, Did your Schnauzer have them again? Or was that the only time? Did she have to take medication for ever? This little Schnauzer has had some illnesses. She was sick when we rescued her and we got her all fixed up and better until this kidney thing. My Schnauzer is never sick. She occasionally gets an upset stomach but that is all.

People may think we are crazy to stress so much about our pets but when one is sick we do worry.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dusty, it is a common trait of schnauzers to have bladder problems. Our son's baby schnauzer had problems at four months and had to be put on a special diet for the first year of her life. Maggie will probably have bladder stones in her future.

Our Wendy was about six when she got a bladder stone, almost filled up her entire bladder. The vet said she got it from "people" food, probably eating after the children, who were young at the time. She never had any more problems and lived to be 14 y.o.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our dogs don't get people food unless it is a little popcorn. They are not allowed table scraps.
Vet said something about putting her on special food. He is supposed to send me home with some, if she will eat it. She is the one that is a picky eater. Other one is a "miss piggy."

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I needed that.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You're welcome, Dusty. I think she'll do fine and will just need a little extra loving.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dustytuu,

Your vet will probably send you home with a prescription diet from Science Diet. If a pet is kept on it you will probably not have another episode at the vets. The trick to switching the diet, if they don't like it, is to use the wet canned food of the same diet and mix it with the dry. You can also add just a few pieces of the old dog food if you have a rebellion on your hands. You might also ask you vet if you can cook up a chicken breast with out the skin and put a little of the meat in the food if you have a real stubborn patient.

Here is hoping that your tail wagging buddy is home soon and adjusting to the new diet.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
One of our Shih Tzus had stones last year January and has been on special Waltham Renal diet since then. She had a problem while we were in Benson, AZ last month, but xrays then showed not a single stone, so I guess our special diet has worked very well.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:17 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glad to hear that your little gal was okay, Sharon.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Thanks, Judy. Wonders what a little antibiotic did for her.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Dusty
I will be praying for your "fur child". They do, in a sense become our children don't they? As I am typing this Gizmo is laying on the couch havng doggy dreams. He likes to pretend he's a great hunter and each morning when we go out aobut 5:30 or so he sniffs all around the trailer and then checks all the bird hideouts, growls a few times and does his business and we go back to the Monty and he curls up in my lap after breakfast for a nap after all the exertion.

Your baby will be fine, love does wonders for them.

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Update!

LucyLou came out of the surgery fine. I am waiting until around 3:30 to pick her up.
Doctor said she had a lot of stones in her bladder. He is sending them somewhere so he can adjust her food to what are in the stones.

We didn't know Schnauzers were one breed of dog to get this. I do know Schnauzers sometime get Cushing's disease. Our older Schnauzer had that and it was treated with med's.

Thanks so much for understanding my nervousness about our fur kids.

Thanks for the prayers too.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #13
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Glad to hear LucyLou will be fine - we do worry about our "kids", don't we?
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dusty just reading this and so happy to hear LucyLou surgery went well.
I hope she will do fine on her new diet.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great news, Dusty. I know if it was Greta, we'd be very concerned. I can hear all of Greta's fans nodding their heads. She'd be in the running for #1 spoiled dog in a Montana.

But don't they bring us great joy and companionship?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Yes they do bring us a lot of joy and companionship.

LucyLou is home now. Picked her up at 3:30. Glad I got home before weather got worse. Yes more snow!

Lucylou is glad to be home and Bonnie missed her too. Lucylou is "out of it" tonight. Sleeping a lot. Brought home special dog food to control stones. Hope it works. No more popcorn for her and Bonnie can't have any either since Lucylou can't.

Rickety, I enjoy hearing about Gizmo. He must be a special pet.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #17
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
So glad LucyLou is fine. Keep her warm tonight and let her sleep. best thing for her.