Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
chipped pets

Don''t know if this is true or not. Read it on another forum.
Chipped pets if lost can not be put down at a shelter. Said it is law in fifty states. Our dogs are chipped and we are getting our cat chipped when he goes in for shots. Also they said to be sure and have a tag on them that states that the animal is chipped. That would also help find the owner.
Dusty

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Yes , Dusty & Don we believe the same thing is true. We were just at the vet's yesterday getting our beloved two ready to go south when our vet alertly ask us if they were chipped. When we told her they were she wanted to test scan them and record the number on their vet records as well. She did that in front of us and we both agree that was a peace of mind procedure knowing the scanners actually do work. Nothing is toooo good for our Amie & Heidi you know. Look forward to our families meeting sometime.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Check this out - it is less expensive than the chip.
I have not purchased one but saw it on HGTV and thought it was a very cool idea.

http://www.toptagpetid.com/

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Rocky2 - We like that idea. We'll check it out and let you know.
Thanks.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
This latest gadget still relies on a mechanical harness around the pets neck. If that harness is lost or gone, there is no ID. My wife managed a vet clinic for 12 years. AVID chips were the normal. They can be tracked anywhere. People even brought in strays that had no collar and the first thing they did was scan them for a chip. Many animals were returned to rightful owners because of the chip. In my mind, the chip is the only way to go. My animals deserve the best....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
We have both of the golden girls chipped too. We have to be able to find them in Alaska or whatever state we may be in. Be sure that you keep your information up to date with the chip company! We listed ourselves, Golden Retriever Rescue of Fairbanks (GRRF.org), and my brother in Alabama for each dog. This way someone will answer a phone just in case we are not available, because of course we will be out looking for the dog! My sister in law the vet tech said to also make sure that the clinic where your pet had its last vaccinations also had your current information, at least a phone number, that way if you are in a small town where they cannot afford a chip reader they might call the vet if that is all the infomation they have. Those ID tags sometimes come off.
On our last two goldens we had our last name tattooed on their back leg (done while under for teeth cleaning). That worked in a small town like Fairbanks, but would do us no good as we travel so these two do not.
So Phil and Cathy where did Samson come from? Any chance it was GRRF?
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
A shelter will not put a pet down that is chipped. I own a dog and cat boarding kennel and will be putting a chip in our cat when we start traveling in our RV. All shelters must check for chips before a pet is put down. We will put our cell phone information in when our cat is chipped.

Rocky2,

Thanks for the link, I haven't seen this before. I guess I should start paying closer attention to the magazines that I get.

For those that want to do something else, you can also get your pet tattooed and registered.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
We own a kennel, breed, train and show Golden Retrievers. All of our dogs are microchipped. We use HomeAgain http://www.homeagainid.com/homeagain/howitworks.cfm but also always have collars and tags on all our dogs whenever they go out the door.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Kimmrg, No, Samson is an out of stater. He is a red color. We call him our red headed step child. First golden we have owned and he is the joy of our life. I also call him my "truck Buddy". He goes whereever I go usually (unless it's too cold and we will be out of the truck for a couple of hours, then he gets to protect the house). Both cats are chpped also..An american domestic short hair (20lbs) and a Scottish Fold.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I think the chips are best because no can take the chip off as collars and tags can be lost or taken off the animal.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Hi everyone,

Dustytuu, you may have been referring to one of my posts. Yes I believe the chips are best as others have stated (can't get lost).

As for brands we use Avid. We also have clients that travel internationally and have found that the Avids chips are now looking into becoming authorized in this market also (some changes, but nothing to effect its use in US)

I hope my little bit of knowledge has helped some of you. You don't own a vet clinic wanting to be rich (we're not MD"s), without really loving your job. Today it is easier to work for a corporate conglomerate than owning it yourself. That being said we still believe we make a change for in the lifes of our clients and their companions.
Hope this helps
Chuck mgr of clinic for 22 years, (but I still carry my Carpenter's card never know when I may need it)
Pam owner (overworked) Practice owner DVM 33yrs
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #12
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
lwcdg, thanks for sharing the knowledge. Also for being in the vet business. I don't know how I would have made it without some wonderful vets we have met in our travels. Not just for the healing of the dogs, but for listening to the ranting fears of the dog mom!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Kimmrg, you are like many of our cients, not differernt. This is why in our office we make 20-30 min appt times to go over all the ?s the owners may have. we also use this time to "educate (owners & ourselves)" about new technlogy and the concerns of the client (lifestyle of clients & pets). "To do the job right you have to listen" this is first and foremost thought in our office.
Cood luck and safe travels,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you IWCDG for all you do for pets.

We also use Avid chips on our animals. I just called them to change some of our information.
If anyone needs phone number for Avid.. 1-800-336-2843