Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
dgriffin

M.O.C. #6227
Water supply line freezes outside

Ok here is another pair of rookies with what I am sure will be an easy question for all of you experienced campers. Down here is Texas, it is very unusual to have subfreezing temps for very long, particularly this early in the year when we have had multiple nights of low 20's in Eastern Texas. We have our 2004 Montana 5th wheel parked down at our deer lease for hunting season and spent this weekend down there and the water supply lines froze up during the night. What is the easiest and cheapest way to insulate and/or wrap the supply hose to avoid this in the future? Any gadgets or good methods - I searched through the Camping World catalog but didn't see anything like that.

dgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I use a heat tracing and foam wrap on the tubing for the pressure switch for the water well for the stick house. The heat tracing comes on at 38 degrees. This application will work on the city water supply for the Montana as well.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
dgriffin

M.O.C. #6227
Thanks for the quick response Charlie. Is this a Wal-Mart item or specialty hardware store kind of thing? Is there a brand name or specific item to ask for?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I just fill tank & use pump at night. Works better for me.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
dgriffin, Try Lowes' they have a selection of different lengths. If you can get the rubber insulation rather than foam it is a more durable insulator. I am in the north Ga. mtns. and the temp. this week has been down to 11 degrees a couple of nights. I have not had any trouble with the supply hose. My water lines going to the bathroom froze on night.
The furnace has gotten a workout.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
got mine at local hardware store several years ago. It may be available at Lowe's or Home Depot, you would just have to ask. Don't remember if there was a brand name, ask for electrical heat tracing. It plugs into a standard 110V receptacle.

When Ozz comes along he will definitely be able to say where it can be obtained.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvfirefighter

dgriffin, Try Lowes' they have a selection of different lengths. If you can get the rubber insulation rather than foam it is a more durable insulator. I am in the north Ga. mtns. and the temp. this week has been down to 11 degrees a couple of nights. I have not had any trouble with the supply hose. My water lines going to the bathroom froze on night.
The furnace has gotten a workout.
David we have had similar cold nights here in North Alabama....10 degrees a couple of nights. My supply line to the toilet continues you freeze when nothing else does. I added a heat lamp to the basement in hopes it would help, but no luck. My supply lines all work as they are wrapped and my holding tank works great with the water pump. The vanity even works....it is odd that the toilet supply will only freeze. I guess I will just have to keep looking for the spot that freezes.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Hey guys, one more thing....being born and raised in Texarkana,Tx (about as far east as you can get without getting into Arkansas) I can tell you that weather in the teens or single digits is not that uncommon.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We found the hose will freeze at 26F. Sometimes just rolling it up and tying it to the ladder is enough to keep it from freezing if the temperatures are in the 20F range.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 AM   #10
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Native Tex, I had that problem once, the first night it got that cold. My supply to the toilet, shower, and bath sink run under the floor in the belly of RV to the front, come up and back to the fixtures. I looked at the possible places for the problem, I feel it was the low point drains. I insulated these more than I had and I have not had anymore problems.
If I am here this time next year I plan on insulating the belly of this rig with more insulation.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've been using a heat taped water hose for four winters now and have not frozen that hose. Lowest temp has been 5 below. We have had 10 or 11 days where the high never got above 14 (last year).

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
dgriffin

M.O.C. #6227
Thanks for your reply, Steve. After reading some of these posts, we did find a pipe wrap that we bought that works of off 110V. After reading on it, discovered it was not recommended for water hoses. I haven't opened it because I wasn't sure if we would take it back or not. I am sure it is a safety issue (shock hazard) or something. Tell me what you use and where you were able to get it. By the way, was reading some of the postcards, very enjoyable anecdotes!! We are spending the weekend in historic Nactchitoches, LA. this weekend. This is a neat place if you ever have the inclination to visit LA.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Every one I've ever seen says that same thing. But that's what we all use. I was introduced to it by the management at an rv park in Colorado. They even mentioned that about the water hoses and then offered to sell me one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #14
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
If you are stationary, wrap your water hose with POOL SPAGETTI and then put that into 3in PVC thick wall pipe, cover the faucet with a trash can and place a drop light inside. You will be safe way down to, well, VERY VERY COLD. JMO
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #15
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
The campground here in AZ tell us to let the water trickle all night during freezing weather. Make sure you leave your drain valve to the tank you are using open. That keeps their pipes from freezing also.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 AM   #16
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Heat trace tape and pipe insulation. And don't forget the little styro foam faucet covers at wally world. Two of them. One for the supply side and one where the water supply connects to the trailer. They don't look like much but they work.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote