Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Where in NE Texas/SE Oklahoma??

Let me pick your brains a little!!
We have our maiden voyage planned to go to Palo Duro Canyon (Tx panhandle) and another outing planned for Lake Texoma, but since we are mostly weekenders and vacationers we won't be able to go cross country most of the time. I would like some suggestions for some nice places to visit in the NE Texas or SE Oklahoma area, or even the SW Arkansas areas. Places that we can go within roughly 200-300 miles of home (Paris, Tx) where we don't burn half of the weekend driving! I appreciate any thoughts, comments, or even places NOT to go!
Bryan

bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Lake of the Pines has some beautiful Corp of Engineer campgrounds around Ore City, Texas. Nice if you like a natural setting for camping.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Judy is exactly right about Lake 'o the Pines. We have never camped there for the obvious reason that it is only a half hour from our home, but we have driven through the campgrounds several times.

Tyler State Park is another good possibility. It is about 10 miles out of the city but nearby to all the attractions. We have camped there several times--very nice campgrounds. Reservations would be necessary for any weekend as it is very often full. Daingerfield State Park is another possibility, but I am not familiar with the campground.

You are not far from Queen Wilhelmena (sp?) State Park near Mena. We have camped there several times and always enjoy it. Beaver's Bend in Oklahoma you probably know about. We have never camped there, but what we have heard about it is all good.

These are just some of the places that come to mind. I'm sure there are many other good possibilities.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We stayed at Atlanta State Park in NE Texas. It has a few good sized pull throughs and seemed like quite a nice place, although we only overnighted there on our way home. Padre David is a real local expert on that area, so listen to his advice for sure!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Let me see, Besides what is mentioned. Just south of Mt Vernon out FM21 is Lake Cypress Springs and Lake Bob Sandlin. Both have state park facilities, water and electric. To the west of us in Caddo Mills is a KOA with full hookup. They have a pool rec room and a fishing pond just a nice place close by. Then there is SW Arkansas, we go to a place on Lake Greesen outside of Murfreesboro. There is the lake and Little Missouri River. We go there every year Trout fishing. The downside is the campground is electric only. We have stayed there three days using holding tanks with no problem. There is water and a dump station available. Lake Texoma has several campgrounds north of Whitesboro.
Hope this helps.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Sherrad's RV and KOA in Colbert, Ok is very close to Lake Texhoma. The KOA ia nice and the people are great. Sherrad's has excellent service and will sell you a new Montana for a very good price. We have only praise for this dealership, the sales people and the service department.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:13 AM   #7
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
We are in the Tyler-Lindale area. We have driven through the Whispering Pines RV Resort and it seems very nice and with activities for children. We are in the Yellow Rose Resort which is on Harvey Road next to Interstate 20 before you get to the Lindale exist. We stayed here because it was closer to my husband's work. It is an old KOA, slightly run-down but in a beautiful setting and a small fishing lake. The lady that owns it is very nice. We are getting to ready to leave for our first move in our Monty on Saturday. We will be going to the Lazy L RV Park in Sherman. Would like to meet anyone staying there.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:37 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Charlotte, we have stayed in Whispering Pines and found it nice, although our preference is still Tyler State Park just down the road, but then we would only be staying a night or two in either place. Just a quick 'get away' for us, so we don't need full hookups. (Which Whispering Pines would have and the state park would not.)

But I write this note to ask that you let us know about how you find the Lazy L in Sherman. We came through there last Saturday, and come through several times a year. We have never stayed there but have considered it when "end of day" had us looking for a place to 'light'.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #9
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
We will let you know. Tyler State Park is a nice park. We have a little different situation since we will usually be staying 3 months where ever we go due to my Leon's job. Have seen some nice state and national parks we would enjoy but they usually let you stay only 14 days in those places.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:50 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Charlotte. Yes I understand that many of our friends need full hookups and longer stays. The great thing is that we have so many choices that allow all our needs to be met -- at least most of the time.

We have never seen the Lazy L, but have noted it in the Trailer Life Directory and in our computer software. Hope you find it a good place for your needs and we will welcome your observations [it is not directly on our route, US 82, so we have never even seen it from the road.]

NOTE TO BRYAN: Let us know when you are in our area. We live between Daingerfield and Longview, very near Lake 'o the Pines. We came around Paris last Saturday and came on to Sunshine Ranch RV Park at Whitesboro (near Gainsville).

Also to Bryan: We plan to visit Palo Duro next Thursday (June 22) and have tickets to the outdoor drama. When is your visit planned?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #11
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Check out Cypress Creek. Lovely place.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote