Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
good route from moab, ut, to tropic, ut?

I'm just beginning to plan our route from Mission, TX, to Moab, UT, then to around Tropic, UT, then on to Mt. Shasta for the rally.

Moab and Tropic are tentative. Looking at the routes, we could go from Moab to Tropic by going north on US 91, west on I-70, then south on US 89, then east on UT 12 to Tropic.

However, we've done I-70 before and would like to see something new when enroute. The following looks interesting but I'm not sure if these are decent roads to tow a Montana. And I'm not sure we would be allowed to tow through Capitol Reef National Park. Or would we want to?

US 91 north to I-70
I-70 West to UT 24
UT 24 south and west through Capitol Reef NP to UT 12 near Torrey, UT
UT 12 south through Escalante and the Grand Staircase to Tropic.

That looks like a slow, curvy set of roads but looks far more interesting than the other route.

We plan, tentatively, to be in/near Moab for a month, then a month in/near Tropic. Haven't checked cg's yet. Will post another thread about that.

Would appreciate comments on the routing from those who have been there, done that, or know the area. Any other route we should consider?

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve
We've been on those routes but we weren't towing. I do remember seeing lots of RVs though. Wished we had been towing as there aren't many facilities in some of that area! Beautiful, beautiful country. I'll bet Pete can help you if he is on.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
We just moved into our new house the 1st of June, haven't towed over there yet. The only time I drove those roads was in a Corvette, but they like curves. Maybe I can help next time.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pete, congratulations on the new house!

Pete and Sue, having been over that route with a car, would you have any qualms towing a Montana across that route? I'm now thinking we might stop a few days at Capitol Reef NP, probably around Torrey. And maybe a day or two around Natural Bridges N.M. as we'll have a week to get from Moab to Cannonville (made a reservation in Cannonville rather than Tropic). Also now have a reservation at Moab. A month in each of those two areas.

The route I'm now planning differs from my previous post, though. I'm thinking -
191 south out of Moab to 95 south of Blanding.
95 NW through Glen Canyon to 24 at Hanksville.
24 W through Capitol Reef to 12 at Torrey.
12 through Escalante to Cannonville.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Steve we did that route almost exactly year before last with our travel trailer. We didn't have a bit of trouble and I would not hesitate to pull our Monty over the same route. As far as I'm concerned, that’s some of the most beautiful real estate in the country.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I agree with Ken & Tina. It is beautiful. Moab is one of our favorite places. There is so much to see and do. Just be sure to watch the weather. May can be iffy on Hwy 12

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Ken and Helen. I have no problem towing twisty, hilly mountain roads. I just want to make sure we're not too long to make the turns. Rocks and fibreglass do not mix well.

I've replanned our route for more scenery and less interstate that we've already seen. I think we'll use this route unless someone warns us off it..

South out of Moab on US 191 to south of Blanding.
Utah 95 west and northwest to Utah 24 at Hanksville.
Utah 24 west through Capitol Reef NP to Utah 12 near Torrey.
UTah 12 to Cannonville.

Helen, we'll watch the weather forecasts. We'll be on that stretch on April 13.

Thanks.