Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Rubber roof protectant

Just spent the day cleaning my roof. If looks great!!! Is there anything I can put on it to keep it this way for longer? I'm am tired of the black streaks and after putting so much time into cleaning it, I would like to know if any of you have had any luck with certain products that might help!

Thanks, Al

TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
A cover, a garage, a barn, if you find out share it with us.cause I cant aford any of those.
TT2
Old 09-18-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use Thetford rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. It helps protect the roof while cleans and preserves it. Seems to really help cut down on the black streaks, also I bought the gutter extensions and those really made the difference on keeping water off this side of the coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
Montana_4561
Established Member

M.O.C. #4561
I thought I would share this. I use wooden cloth pins to act like an extension gutter. All you have to do attach cloth pin on the end of the gutter. You will be surprised to see water does flow all the way down to end of the pin and pour water out.
Montana_4561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had the clothes pins, but usually heard about it from folks in the campground. I also lost a few down the road somewhere, maybe a tree or something. I found these gutter clips for $8.95 at my rv dealership and they match and everything. Sure does help.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:12 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
At the GL Region Rally, the Dicor rep. said that you don't really have to put anything on the roof, just keep it clean and inspect for defects about 4X year. If you do put anything on, then (guess what?) Dicor just happen to sell a product for that. The one advantage of the Dicor product is that it won't become a warranty issue down the road. They are quite concerned about any other brand of cleaner/protectant because they have no way of knowing if a formulation has been changed. Definite no-no's are petroleum based solvents, and citrus based cleaners. Dawn dish detergent was suggested by the Keystone service rep as a safe cleaner.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Thanks for all the valuable information. I really appreciate all the help you all have been. Sure is nice having this forum and reading about various topics, many of which have been very informational.

Al
Old 09-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Good question that you ask. After just returning from 3 mos. on the road, I used Thetford Rubber Roof Cleaner and Conditioner to wash it. Then I applied their Roof Protectant spray and a used a kitchen sponge mop to apply/spread. Looks pretty good, but not sure how it'll hold up. Got both from Camping World. Want to keep my roof in good shape, too.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also used the clothespins for a couple of years with good success. I found the white plastic ones best because they blend in and don't discolor as badly as the wooden ones. Awhile back we found the extensions from Camping World so inexpensive that I went ahead and put those on. Neither the extensions nor the clothespins will stop the wind from blowing the water back onto the coach but 95% of the time both are effective from what I've seen.

Now, if I could just figure out how to stop the streaks from the scare lights and other appendages on the sides of the Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I purchase the extendors from CW and had to return them because they did not seem to fit. The '05 3670 seems to be different than previous year's models. While I was in Myrtle Beach, I met a guy with an '04 3670 Big Sky and he had installed the extendors and they seemed to work fine for him.
Al
Old 09-28-2005, 05:38 AM   #11
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I too bought the drain extenders for our '05 2955RL at CW. Ened up taking them back because I came to the conclusion they were already built on there from the factory. Looked exactly the same already. Maybe something they just started the last year or so?

Using the cleaner/conditioner from CW. Only used it once so far. Wasn't thrilled with the results, but it was pretty dirty already. Going to try it again.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Call us cheap, but if the roof fabric manufacturer says Dawn is all you need to clean it, why spend extra coin on stuff from CW?? If the roof fabric manufacturer says all you really have to do is clean it, why spend extra coin on some conditioner?? Dawn is CHEAP, and it is one of the things the Dicor people say to use, hey, that is a great combo for us. Besides, it is one or two less bottles of something we have to cart around or store in the garage! SIMPLE is good!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We used dawn or other dishwash on our rubber roof on our TT for 10 years.It is as good as new and as clean as can be expected.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Well as far as the rain extensions go, we looked and we have them already on the Monty. So I guess it is something new for 05. Not sure but we have them from the factory. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:04 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, they put on longer extensions starting with the '05 models. When we were there last September they gave us a set when I asked about it. I have them around here somewhere but forgot about them until reading this. I since bought and installed the ones from CW. First one who asks at the rally can have the factory ones. All I have to do is find them. I think I know where they are.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 AM   #16
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
I like using Simple Green to clean the roof of my RV's. You can dilute it to the solution you need and is very multipurpose. I use a solution to clean the bugs off the TV and TV, spray it, let it soak and then pressure. Plus Simple Green doesnt remove wax like Dawn will. Now that I have a bigger RV I don't my waxing time to go by by.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:35 AM   #17
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I am 100% with Montana Sky:

Quote:
quote:I use Thetford rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. It helps protect the roof while cleans and preserves it. Seems to really help cut down on the black streaks
Cost is negligible relative to the results.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #18
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thetford works for us--we have also used Dawn but as the unit is stored under trees we seem to have an inordinate amount of black streaks even with the gutter extenders. Thus the change to Thetford.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #19
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Well, when I heard you'll talk about 3-4-5 hrs to clean the roof I thought NO WAY. I spent last sat. cleaning my roof 4 hrs of pain ****### work. our rig sits under the trees all the time and had black freckle like spots I scrubbed and scrubbed, got most but left a lot. used LOC and Dawn and two brushes and scrubbies. My hat is off to you it is a long process. now to wash the sides.. after I return from Rapid City SD to reg all our vehicles, have a address at Americas-mailbox.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote