Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Were to Find Calgon Water Softner?

I have looked at Wal~mart and many other stores but cannot find the calgon water softener that everyone is talking about. Can someone tell me where to find it? TIA

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
We finally found it in the liquid form at Walmart. We almost missed it, but I believe it was with some other liquid stuff and not near the 20 Mule Team Borax and other products of that nature where we had been looking.

Good luck!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
LAUNDRY DETERGENT AISLE!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I was just at Walmart and couldn't find it either. I even looked in the laundry detergent aisle. Maybe I missed it. Is it only in the liquid form? Or can I find it in the powder form? Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Ooops! Forgot to mention that the stuff is in the laundry detergent and other stuff aisle! (Thanks, Carol.)
Kathi ... we've never been able to find the powder, but as Carol pointed out, the liquid is not messy.

Again ... good luck in your quest.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Well I will look tomorrow again. You know it wouldn't hurt to ask someone at the store. I am always telling Paul "well did you ask someone"? So I guess I should practice what I preach...LOL
Old 07-27-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
At our local WalMart we found the powder in the bath and beauty department. I will have to look harder for the liquid, havnt found it yet.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:32 PM   #8
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Top's grocery store in Corinth NY...haha. Went there while on our first outing to buy some burgers and saw the liquid form on the shelf. Said to myself, "I remember reading about this stuff" so we bought it and used it as we hauled between campgrounds.
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:44 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is normally in the laundry soap section and it is everywhere around here.Remember it is a WATER SOFTENER and if you are in a area where the water IS soft you may not find it on the shelfs. The water around here is hard as a rock so it is easy to find///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Well I have asked at every Wal~Mart from IL to Kentucky! They always look at me like hmmm! I was told the laundry isle and have not found it yet...did see the borax but not the calgon. Even looked in the calgon bath isle. Our water is hard here. Any suggestions.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #11
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Folks, it doesn't have to be Calgon brand water softener. I couldn't find it either so used a brand called White King that was available and it did the trick just fine. I would think any brand water softener agent would work.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I imagine any water softener would work.

In Lenawee County I can get at any number of grocery stores, in the laundry area, it does come in a powder form. At Wallyworld, I know I can get in liquid form, also laundry area.

Try looking at the TOP shelves!! for some reason, I rarely find down at eyelevel. Don't know why, just that I always find on top shelves!

Oh, the stuff in the bathe aisle, is not the same as the laundry water softener stuff. May or may not work. The stuff in the bathe aisle is a bath additive, soak away all your cares. Not sure if it is the same thing as the laundry stuff, which is used to keep the hard minerals and iron from settling into your clothing when you wash. This is not a bleach product, does not do the same thing as bleach.

Again, not sure the bath stuff will do the same thing as the laundry stuff, but, it will wash out your tank for ya! Just not sure it would clean those silly little tank level indicator things.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 AM   #13
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I stay out of CHINA-MART as much as I can, try your local stores you will probably find it there, and you might even find a store person that knows where you can find it.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:29 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Searchers is correct..Calgon is a brand name..any water softener will do, liquid or power. When we were in the outer banks calgon or any other water softener was nowhere to be found. I just bought 3 boxes here in good old Northern Ohio for the camper. Afterthought..if you have such a thing as a 'hardware store" in your area they are sure to have a water softener..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:14 AM   #15
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I FOUND IT!!!!! Top shelf right next to the Borax. Stater Bros. Southern California. Power form, $5. a box. Bought 2 boxes because just my luck I will go back and not find it again. So look in the laundry section of the grocery store. Kathi
Old 07-30-2005, 07:54 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Great Kathi,

silly they put on the top shelf, eh??
Old 08-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #17
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Great Kathy...I still cannot locate it! SA told me at wal~mart they do not carry it or any other water softner..I even had another friend looking and he checked in his area( we are in different towns)He tried Ace hardware and nothing...Now I know our water here is hard...None of the stores had any suggestions either...Come on Illinois get it that water softner powder or liquid and any brand name will do!!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #18
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by campbud

Great Kathy...I still cannot locate it! SA told me at wal~mart they do not carry it or any other water softner..I even had another friend looking and he checked in his area( we are in different towns)He tried Ace hardware and nothing...Now I know our water here is hard...None of the stores had any suggestions either...Come on Illinois get it that water softner powder or liquid and any brand name will do!!!!
Campbud,
What part if Illinois are you in? In the Chicago area, the Dominick's grocery stores (at least the one in Carpentersville) carry it.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:15 PM   #19
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We are near Bloomington IL ..we dont have any Dominicks around the area. I do go to Naperville every so often and I know that must be a Dominicks around there so I wil look for it there. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #20
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
campbud

How, can I put this diplomatically? Oh, heck, don't believe everything those store assistants tell you. They told Al they did not sell a specific type of carpet cleaner I wanted. THEY DO! I found it right off. Oh, and they told him one time they did not sell a specific kind of sweetener we use. DUHHHH, they were temporarily out, next time in the store, I found it right off as well.

Lots o folks use this Calgon water softener, reportedly to help keep the yellow out of your clothes, specially the whites.

Don't get disheartened. You will find some. Run over to Indiana, they have nice strong rust in their water there, they sell it! No insult to our Indiana MOC members, cause I got the same problem here in Lenawee, got a big box of the powder downstairs in the laundry room right this minute!

Whoda thunk something like this could be so hard to find??? Geeeshhhh!