Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
new and improved ?

geez, seems like every week there's a new and improved way to get on the 'net with the latest equipment. I've been looking at the droid/tethering option using pdanet...from what I've heard, sounds like it's pretty dang fast and reliable. Now, they've released the Evo ???? Anyone looked at/ bought this newest creation ?

Just when I think I'm starting to get a grip on this mobile 'net thing, they change it AGAIN!
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I just switched from my good old reliable flip phone to a Blackberry. I'll let you know in about a year how I like it. It will take me that long to figure it out.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have been using the blackberry for two years now and I have my appointment calinder, all my contacts, e-mail address, and I receive e-mail all day long, I could do my banking on it also but moving about the small screen can be a challange with clubby type fingers tips, I do get my day to day notices from my bank about daily transactions and ballances. but to do all this it is best to have MS Outlook installed on your computers along with Black Berry Messenger provided with your smart phone at purchase, so the can synk together, and up date. there is talk around about the 2010 version of Outlook not working with the black berry according to the BB teck support but they are working on that now.
a person can answer all there email if they wanted to but I find it a waist of time the computer keyboard is better and quicker for me.
the newer smart phones are getting smarter every day, my friend has a Droid and he loves it for reading the NY Times very large print, but his is first generation the new Droid is supose to be even better than the first. I have found that when phone comanies start to give away there phones there is something big around the comming.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
I've had the Evo for two weeks now and thus far i've been very happy.

I got it so i don't have to carry around a phone and a separate hotspot to provide 3g/4g access to multiple ipads.

I fully expected the Evo's screen to be too small to be useful, since i expected it to be about the size of my ipod touch (whose screen is too small, leading me to get the ipads). I have been pleasantly surprised that the Evo's screen is actually larger than an ipod touch and large enough to be useful even for my aging eyes.

Folks considering the Evo should really consider any 4g coverage as icing, and realize that it is a great 3g phone that has unlimited data even through the optional hotspot/tethering feature.

If you have any specific questions about the Evo, I'll do my best to answer them.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481

Rim should be releasing the Blackberry Torch (9800) this summer. It will use their new operating system and browser. It will be a touch screen and should support tethering for wireless internet on a PC. Blackberry fans are hoping it is an Iphone killer. I think I will replace my Blackberry Pearl with this unit.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Bill, we have Verizon's HTC Incredible android 2.1 version. It's fast, reliable and has pdanet you can download as an app and so many other features. It's not cheap cause you have to pay the $30 per mo data charge that wasn't on previous fones.

HTC is making all the droids for Sprint, Verizon, TMobile and Alltel.

Our fone has google maps and is as good as our garmin, voice search for locations, etc, etc. We have two email setups, one with regular email we've had and a new gmail as well.

The tethering is very good and better than I thought it would be. Calls come in while on the internet. Whatever carrier you get HTC is there. Sprint has HTC evo just out. Of course ATT has apple fone which is also great. Good Luck
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
OK, it takes a lot to get me excited about something, but this one's fantastic !
I upgraded to the evo phone yesterday, and downloaded pdanet. Now, mind you I only get usually one maybe two bars at the house..so I wasn't holding out a lot of hope, BUT I was amazed. We have cable internet at the house, and this new evo with the pdanet is almost as fast...maybe like 75-80%. Plus all the other features on the evo which are amazing.
So, now I have internet pretty much anywhere I go...for only ten bucks a month more on my phone bill...and it's unlimited.
geeezzz...
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
These phones seem to change by the hour. The Android phones are getting good press right now and compete with the Iphone pretty nicely. If you would like to do some internet browsing and comparison shopping you can go to my web site http://www.phanson.acnrep.com/n_index.asp?CO_LA=US_EN and click on the "Products" tab and then the "Wireless" tab. All the carriers are represented there along with their phones and rate plans. If you have any questions you can email or PM me.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I've got the DROID and with PDA net, I can connect to the internet with my laptop anytime I want with great speed and still receive phone calls. Great system!
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
On my second Black Berry. This one is the Bold model. I have three e-mail accounts, my contact and calendar linked to it. I have used the build-in maps function with the GPS tracking and it was more up to date than my Magellan dash mounted GPS in the truck. It is 3G and has built-in WIFI capability. It is fast and came with Docs on the Go for my business office applications. Like all phones with keyboards my nails do the typing and when I trim them my spelling goes to all to ..........
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote