Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Cradlepoint Router Connection to existing WiFi

I know the linksys routers can be used to provide connection to a campground's WiFi, providing more range than you would get from your laptop alone.

I'd like to know if the same thing can be done with the Cradlepoint router. If I'm in a campground with WiFi (with crummy signal) will it pick up the WiFi and use it instead of the aircard so I can use my laptop with campground speed instead of aircard speed?

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think you will find that the WIFI in most parks is spotty, at best. I can pick up CG WiFi with my current system, not a Cradelpoint, however, the Verizon signal is usually better than the CG WiFi. I do not use the CG signal as it is an unsecure system and as fulltimers we do all our financial business over the net. Hopefully someone with a Cradlepoint will chime in. One way to increase your incoming signal is with a 3 watt amplifier and a Wilson antenna as many of us use. The folks at 3gstore.com can assist you with setting this up. The advantage of this system is that you can plug a cell phone into the antenna for increased reception. Hope this helps....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin
I'd like to know if the same thing can be done with the Cradlepoint router. If I'm in a campground with WiFi (with crummy signal) will it pick up the WiFi and use it instead of the aircard so I can use my laptop with campground speed instead of aircard speed?
cradlepoint has a way to repeat/extend wifi, but it requires changes to the source wifi hotspot and i doubt if any CG will cooperate.

there is an easy way to repeat wifi through you cradlepoint -- buy a pepwave surf mini.

the pepwave surf mini is a high-powered wifi repeater and will receive signal from weak CG hotspots much much better than any built in wifi on laptop or desktop computer.

the pepwave surf also allows connection via ethernet to your cradlepoint's wan/ethernet port so the cradlepoint can still be your hotspot in RV.

fyi, for those who don't have a cradlepoint and are interested -- the pepwave surf doesn't require the cradlepoint as it also has its own ability to be a hotspot in the RV. if you are the kind of RVer that only uses CG wifi, the pepwave surf is a great piece of gear to help improve CG wifi reception.

hope this helps. sorry i didnt answer sooner.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote