Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hughes Internet.

I have a question about Satilite Internet. I currently have MiFi with Verizon. It doesn't always get enough signal to be able to stay on to enjoy being on-line. I looked at Hughes internet and was wondering the lowest speed and monthly fee, does that work well enough to invest in it? How many of you have it and are you happy with them? Thanks for your imput.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by randye

I have a question about Satilite Internet. I currently have MiFi with Verizon. It doesn't always get enough signal to be able to stay on to enjoy being on-line. I looked at Hughes internet and was wondering the lowest speed and monthly fee, does that work well enough to invest in it? How many of you have it and are you happy with them? Thanks for your imput.
Can't say about Satellite Internet, but I have some folks at work who have it (fast they can get)... still not as good as 3G network speed. Cindy got a Droid, that is what I am using while we camp... got an app for the Droid that lets me connect my tablet to it.. works really well... getting 2.3 Mbs..

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Most of the folks I know that had the Hughes system switched to aircards. The speed is close to being the same and the aircard is so much easier to deal with.

Most of us with aircards choose one which accepts an external antenna and an amplifier. This tremendously improves the signal in areas with poor signal strength.

One of the disadvantages (AFAIK) of the MiFi is it's inability to accept an external antenna.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We had Hughes for internet at the stick, at first (pre-air card days) we were ok with it, not thrilled, but, OK, I mean it was all we could get. (that or land line)

But, we did not travel with it, suspension of service was sorta ok, cept the last time we came back to the stick it took Al 8 hours on the phone to get the service restored.

Then we got an air-card to test. Up and down was 3 to 4 times faster than Hughes on a good day.

Guess where Hughes went?

With the air card, it does not matter WHERE we are, it is small enough to go with us, even in Big Butt. We don't have to do suspension stuff, it is our internet, 24/7/365. Pick up and go where ever, when ever. It works for us, may not for others, eh??

If you have not, consider some extra antenna thingys.

But, there are places you still will have marginal connetion, the more rural, the less connection. Course, that is not always true either~ keep us guessing don't they.

Then again, we don't have MiFi, we have an air card from Sprint. The experts here can tell you if that makes any difference.

I cannot give a thumbs up to Hughes, based on OUR experience.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We first got Hughes for our stick house as dialup was worse than bad. When we hit the road I joined Datastorm Users Group on line and with the knowledge I acquired there took the whole thing on the road with us. I have CTS/Berger surveyors tripod and an offset head I got online. It has never taken me longer than 40 minutes to setup and I usually do it in less than 15 minutes. I pay 69 bucks a month and get 350 MB per day as opposed to the 5 gig from a month from most calling cards. The connection is ALWAYS good provided you can get through the trees. I have gotten a good signal through a 10x10 hole in the tree canopy. We are on 83West sat. and have yet to find any in the lower 48 where it does not work. It isn't as fast as calling cards or cable, but WAY faster than dialup. Datastorm Users Group is like the MOC, the best source for information on sat internet and tv. It is no cost and has a lot of good, helpful folks just like the MOC is for Montanas. A lot of folks have coughed up 5K dollars for the Motosat system automatic hard mount systems for their RVs but if you go to a CG that has a lot of trees you are out of luck. I can move the tripod around to find the slot through the trees that I need. I have even found several sites at Skidaway State Park in savannah Ga. They have a LOT of trees. Like anything else it is a learning experience... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Randy, we have Hughesnet at our home in NC. What is involved is about $300 initial costs and a 2yr contract. It is not fast and we notice during early evening hours it really slows down. Hughes indicated that increased usage at the evening hours due to downloading etc puts more on the system?? We pay $59.99 per month which to me is high. When we got the system Hughes was offering a no fee setup so we did not pay the $300 upfront costs.

There is another satellite company called WildBlue. I am not sure of their quality or performance. I believe they charge $49. per month.

Once our Hughes contract expires we may go to an aircard. We may have broadband by then as well.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have a friend with the Hughes system on his stick built. It is so slow he rarely uses it. However he does not have cell coverage or cable at his house. Hughes is his only option because the land line phone system is not good for anything besides voices. He has seen my verizon air card work and says it is much better. He's hoping they put up a cell tower near him soon.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wild Blue is a spot beamed service. Which means it is only beamed to a small area. If you go out of that area (about 300 miles)you will lose the signal. For more info just Google Wild Blue. There is another service that can be used by RVers, Starband is is the service. It has an advantage over Hughes in that you can have the satellite changed fairly easily. I already have Hughes so I am sticking with for now. Other than the ones I have mentioned here I know of no other services that are within the price range of the average RVer... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
The verizon air card is working again, but I had it on charge last night, this morning I unplugged it and about 5 mins it was showing red again. It seems to need to be on charge constantly to keep it working, it won't be able to be use as when we are on the road unless we use my inverter that I can plug into the lighter in the truck then plug it into that. We will let Verizon know, we have to wait until we go into St George to be able to have enough signal to call. Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Had hughes net for home. it was a joke. now use only Verizon air card and happy
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Charged?? OK, that is something I had not heard of (no surprise, cannot keep up with the techy stuff, too much too fast too big too frequent! LOL)

My Sprint air card, does not require charging. I can see where that might be a HUGE issue. GULP
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I guess I'm not clear on what MiFI is. It sounds different than my air card. Like Mrs. Countryguy , I don't know what service device needs to be charged.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
MI-FI is about 3.5"X2.5"X3/8" thick, it can connect 5 computers at a time to the internet. It has a red checkmark with VeriZonwirless on top, it is all black otherwise, It comes with a charger and a port to charge it with. When you turn it on a icon on top left right corner is green and on the side is a blinking green light, when the the top right hand corner light blinks red you insert the charger cable and it recharges. You can take it with you and use it, say with you lap top when on the road. We are going into St George on Monday or Tuesday and know where the Verizon store is we will stop and ask them why it is not staying charged as long as it once did. We have had it about three months and it used to stay charged for a couple of days depending on how long per day you used one or both of our computers.