Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Air Cards and Routers.....

This week I have found Lorraine and I had extremely SLOW connection speeds on our individual lap tops. It was so slow that we were about to call EVDOalex to see if he could help us. Being a Sunday morning I felt I would wait until Monday.
In the mean time we decided to see if maybe it was the router. We plugged the card directly into my computer and tried to connect. A window came up stating the card was being updated. After a short wait we were able to connect to the Internet. WOWSER, the thing was flying. We than plugged the card into Lorraine's lap top with the same results. Next we plugged it back into the Router with the same results.

What I am trying to say is anyone out there using a router should be plugging the card directly into your lap top every so often for these updates. Apparently the updates are not coming thru the router. Maybe Alex will come along and can better explain this.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glenn,
Good point. Based on this post by snfexpress the air card for Verizon gets its commands from the VZAmanager. When in the router the air card is operating only on memory settings.
Good reminder.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, I have a 3G Phoebus router by Top Global. It connects to Cathy's desktop via a cable. There is no SLOT on our computer for an aircard. Our aircard, a Sierra 595, plugs into the router. I WI-FI off of this to my laptop. Is there a way to upgrade my card or do I need to? I am in Ft. Walton Beach and getting very slow service. I do have the Wilson antenna mounted to our ladder also.. Any help would be appreciated....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You are correct Glenn. All upgrades from Verison go thru Access Manager and not the router. You must plug your Verizon card into the compter evey few month to take advantage of the upgrades.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

John, I have a 3G Phoebus router by Top Global. It connects to Cathy's desktop via a cable. There is no SLOT on our computer for an aircard. Our aircard, a Sierra 595, plugs into the router. I WI-FI off of this to my laptop. Is there a way to upgrade my card or do I need to? I am in Ft. Walton Beach and getting very slow service. I do have the Wilson antenna mounted to our ladder also.. Any help would be appreciated....
I would check with your service provider. Call the Tech support desk and tell them you are getting slow service. Sometimes they can access your card. Or maybe you can take it to one of their service centers. I wish I could help with more info.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Phil, do you have a slot on your laptop for the aircard? If you do, use your wifi connection to download VZAccess Manager (http://www.vzam.net) and install on your laptop. Then put the card in and use VZAM to connect to the web. This will help.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Michael, The slot in my laptop is for one of the Express cards which I do not have. Would not downloading the VZAM file to my wife's desktop and then running it work????? Or does the aircard have to be out of the router to upgrade???
Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr...There is no SLOT on our computer for an aircard.
the updates happen "over the air" while using VZAM, and cannot be done any other way.
for now, see if you can catch up to someone with a laptop that has PCMCIA card slot, that will let you install VZAM to do the updates (if there are any - just because glenn's needed one, doesn't automatically mean yours does - these things are very 'localized')

it may be in your best interest to consider an upgrade to a USB modem that you can use with any computer, rather than hold onto that PCMCIA card.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we upgraded to the USB 727 card and the Cradlepoint 1000 last month..When you change locations you should go into VZ access manager(verizon) , click on options then click on activation to let the card tune into your area. You should see a increase in performance. we are in a weak signal area here in the C.G and we put our wilson antenna on a 10 foot pole off the top of the RV ladder which helped some. We are now seeing 600/700KBPS/ We are going to purchase the 3watt amp from 3g store and I am sure we will then see the 1.2/1.4 MB we have been seeing in other areas. In fact I can see it 1 mile up the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Alex, When I got this system last year from 3G STORE, this combination was the "Latest and Greatest". Now you think I should change to another "latest and Greatest" system. I honestly wonder how many of these there are. I know technology changes pretty quick. How could I find out if mine needs upgrading??
Old 11-03-2008, 02:39 AM   #11
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Alex, When I got this system last year from 3G STORE, this combination was the "Latest and Greatest". Now you think I should change to another "latest and Greatest" system. I honestly wonder how many of these there are. I know technology changes pretty quick. How could I find out if mine needs upgrading?
Phil, when we sold it to you, you probably had a laptop with PCMCIA slot, right? i don't normally recommend a pcmcia card to anyone who doesn't have a laptop with that type card slot.

i don't think you need to upgrade for "performance sake", all the currently shipping devices are "Rev-A" just like your card, and no one device we've sold has proven to be noticeable faster than any other, given the same signal to same cell tower.

i made the recommendation to consider a USB modem, purely for your sanity as you continue your travels over the open road. even if your card has current info on it -- what happens if your router were to die? you can't connect at all.

the info on the card pertains to cell tower locations and services available from these towers... as such, updates to the card itself (actually, to any cellular modem) will need to occur from time to time, especially for RVers that move around a lot.

for now, track down a friend with a laptop that has a pcmcia card slot, and when the current contract expires (or updating existing card becomes too much frustration - whichever comes first) give me a call and we'll discuss whats best course of action?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks Alex, I am taking card to a Verizon store today for updating, then we will see how it does. I think I have another 6 months left on my current contract. Will think about upgrading at that time.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I took my Sierra 595 aircard to Verizon for updating. The tech said the card doesn't get updated only the software in your computer. NOW I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED. HELP!!!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:exav8tr Posted - Nov 06 2008 : 5:02:41 PM
Well, I took my Sierra 595 aircard to Verizon for updating. The tech said the card doesn't get updated only the software in your computer. NOW I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED. HELP!!!!!
Phil, I think he was wrong, because you use your aircard in the router and there isn't software in the router that gets updated, just the aircard. When I use VZAccess Manager with the aircard in the laptop, then I can update the aircard for the area that I happen to be in. Phil, try another Verizon store. If they say the same thing, have them call there tech dept and talk with a real tech. Damn, I hate it when people don't know what they are talking about and don't offer to get an answer to the question from someone who does know. Sorry to rant.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Verizon folks will not talk routers,They don't sell them they want you to buy more aircards not a router.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don, I will try another Verizon store as you suggest. I also hate it when you get bad advice. I sometimes think the unemployment line should be longer with people that don't have a clue.....
Old 11-07-2008, 05:35 AM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Both comments are correct.

Don states that the card is updated. That is correct - the info is stored in non-volatile memory.

And, as Rich states, don't mention a router. You will be told that 1) the card won't work in a router and then 2) that you are violating the useage policy.

Occasionally, when using VZAM, you will be prompted to download a newer/updated version of the software. That is just for your computer, not the card.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:40 AM   #18
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress
Occasionally, when using VZAM, you will be prompted to download a newer/updated version of the software. That is just for your computer, not the card.
sometimes its both. there are times when a version of computer software has to be updated in order to deliver new firmware "over the air" to a data device.