Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
buying EVDO equipment

I researched the whole satellite internet subject and purchased hardware and secured service. After trying to use it for almost a year now, I have decided I made a bad choice. I am ready to ditch the receiver and write it all off as tuition for the education.

Service from Verizon has improved at my home site, so I am considering a Verizon AirCard. When I went to the Verizon Store, they acted as if they didn't know any way to use an air card with a router. I go on the internet and find all kinds of routers. Me thinks they lie.

Wading through all the tech info about the different devices is a huge pain and I have already proved a mistake can be made after extensive research. I am looking for the "best bang for the buck" in EDVO equipment. Independent, unbiased guidance is hard to find.

I think I need three items: an aircard to work with Windows XT, an EVDO router, and an antenna to boost signal in this marginal service area. So:
  • Which of Verizon's card products
  • Which router is compatible with the card
  • Which antenna with work well with the other two.
  • Is there going to be another antenna required for travel
I am looking for as near plug-and-play as possible with reasonable costs. Do all services have a 5 gig cap like verizon?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Stiles,

What you need depends a bit on your computer and what slots, ports etc it has. Probably the most universal connection is via the USB port. In my case I bought a Verizon AC595U.

This will plug directly into a USB port, but it also comes with a little extension holder so that it can be located somewhere away from the computer It also has a connection port for an external antenna. We don't use a router. If you only have one computer, then I don't see any reason to have one. But if you want to be able to move around your unit with your laptop, it might come in handy, especially if you don't have a dedicated computer desk. I came close to getting a sat. outfit, but I am now glad that I went this route.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Stiles ... Verizon does not like routers. Routers mean that more than one person will be using the Aircard service ... they prefer that each individual use individual cards ... as in more profit. So, if/when you call them again, don't even mention the router. When Steve mentioned it, there was a definite chill over the line and he was told that routers are not authorized by Verizon.

Our router and booster sit on the desk, always plugged in and ready to go. I have Windows XP on my computer and he has Vista ... the router/aircard doesn't care. John's info about the computer's slots is correct if you don't use a router. If you have a router and if you can connect to other WIFI networks, you can connect to the router.

Since I'm essentially relaying info from Steve, it would probably be better if you emailed him directly with all your questions. Or, you can email evdoalex@3Gstore.com ... he is very helpful, and a MOC member.

Good luck!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, first of all, Alex at 3gstore.com is outstanding. I knew nothing and he walked us through what we needed and it was a simple hookup when it arrived.

What John refers to is some laptops have a pcmcia slot, some of the newer ones have an expresscard slot, and some have both or a slot that will handle both. The older aircards are in the pcmcia form factor. Newer ones are mostly expresscard form factor. If you want to put this card in your laptop then you need to see which form factor it supports. Which kind of slot, in other words. The manual will tell you that.

If yours has pcmcia only and you buy an expresscard, then you'd need the adapter that makes the expresscard fit the pcmcia slot. Alex can tell you about that. We did get the adapter so Vicki could plug the card into her laptop going down the highway, if she chooses. My laptop supports both form factors. Or we could just put the router in the back seat of the truck and connect to it.

Whether you have XP or Vista matters ONLY if you will plug the card into your laptop. In that case, you'll want to make sure the card comes with the drivers for your operating system. Not likely a problem, actually, unless you buy an older pre-Vista card.

Our particular card is an expresscard. Our router, however, has a pcmcia slot. So we use the adapter to insert the expresscard into the router's pcmcia slot.

OK, here's how it works. We leave the card in the router all the time and leave the router plugged into 110v all the time. We just press the button to turn it on. It does all the connecting to the verizon signal. I turn on my laptop and I see the router looking just like every other wifi signal. I have, of course, given ours a unique name so I can identify it. I just connect to our router and we're off and running. Exactly as you would connect to any other wifi signal. I do have ours password protected. You name the router and set up the security/password by connecting to the router with your web browser. The manual will tell you the url to use.

We also have an "external" antenna but it's really an indoor antenna with a six foot cord that plugs into the card. We have that because our particular card has a smallish antenna of its own. Plus, this way if we have a weak signal we can move the antenna around to get better signal strength. I can see the strength on that router webpage I mentioned above. If the card is plugged into your laptop you can use software provided with the card to see signal strength.

We added a 3-watt booster, also. This booster is not cheap. Almost $300. But wow does it make a difference in a weak signal area. The "best" signal is a "31". We have had usable internet when it reads as low as "1". It will be slow, but usable.

In many areas we have "broadband speeds." That will not be as fast as all cable systems but is as fast as some of them. And is usually as fast or faster than the dsl systems I've experienced. Other places do not yet have broadband but the speed is still far better than dialup. In rare situations where we have that "1" signal, it may be closer to dialup speed. Verizon is expanding the areas with broadband with the goal to blanket the country with that speed. But they're not there yet. Still, our experience has been very satisfactory.

John Kohl recently purchases a true external antenna he'll probably mount on his ladder. I may someday do that but so far we've always had a signal so we really haven't needed it. Someday that may change, of course.

I can't stress enough how helpful Alex is and how knowledgeable he is. I would highly recommend you either call him (phone number is at the 3gstore. com site) or email him through MOC. EVDOAlex is his userid.

As for antennas for travel, you don't need anything different. The card will have a builtin antenna that usually is enough. Our "external" antenna mentioned above has suction cups and can be stuck to a window in the truck and then plugged into the card in the laptop, if so desired.

Email me if I missed any of your questions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sreigle's post is right on. We have the same set up. We purchased from 3g store. They offer excellent tech services and excellent prices. AlexEVDO is a salesperson and very knowledgeable. We have the external antenna mounted on the top rung of the ladder when we need it...like here.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Just to complete the saga, We have a MacBook, and anyone who wants to use Verizon (or Sprint, or anyone else) with a Mac will need to make sure that the operating software is available for your Mac OS. Most are, but some are not available.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, I purchased all from 3g. A verizon aircard, a Phoebus router and eventually (last week in fact) a Wilson cellphone antenna. This antenna connects to the aircard for extended strength. It can also connect to a cellphone with the cellphone adapter. We have a desktop, which the router connects to, aircard goes into router, then we set up a wifi signal to my laptop, secure and password protected. Both my computer systems are XP. 3G set the aircard up and when I got it, I called them to help me install it. Everything works fine. Of course, with an aircard, you only get a signal when you are in range of a tower, hence the extra antenna. It mounts on the top of the ladder and I just ran the cable loosely thru the entertainment slide window to the router. May some day "hardwire" it in. Have to disconnect it for travel, something else to remember to do......

Hope this helps. I think any of the folks at 3G can get you started although Alex is a MOC member as stated earlier..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
You can run those antenna cords, etc, through the slide.

Open slide part way, pass cord/wire through, be sure you have enough length to get to the equipment.

Finish opening/extending slide. The cord can stay there for months and not hurt anything.

The disclaimer is: that we have done this on our early 2004 model with no trouble. They have since changed the way the slides seals are done.

But, you could think about it, that way, no windows open.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson
...I think I need three items: an aircard to work with Windows XT, an EVDO router, and an antenna to boost signal in this marginal service area.
Typically, the hard part is deciding on carrier. you make my life easier by picking verizon!

Let's decide on the EVDO device itself:
I like the USB modem options, because they provide most flexibility.
If the EVDO device will live attached to router the majority of the time, go with the Verizon UM150 which is free after rebate.

If you plan on spending considerable amount of time with USB modem directly attached to laptop (instead of in router), then go with more durable Verizon USB727 USB modem.

OK, now the antenna:
Many RVers prefer not to have to mount anything outside RV and have great success with our indoor/portable 'booster antenna' which can suction-cup to inside of a window, and travel along with you nicely in a laptop bag.

Wilson omni/trucker antenna is another popular choice, and many will do mount on ladder frame on back of RV, if they have one.

Which is better? if where you are, trees and or elevation changes affect signal, the external antenna is going to perform best. However... if distance from tower is your only real problem... its a toss up. many find that both antennas do equally as well, when signal is weak because of distance alone, and not trees/elevation.

Some folks decide to permanently mount the omni antenna, AND have a booster antenna to keep in their laptop bag for those trips away from the RV.

Alright, now the router:
Space is always a big concern for RVers, and the Cradlepoint CTR350 is the tiniest EVDO router ever made, at barely larger than a deck of cards. The CTR350 only has one ethernet port, so it you need more, you end up attaching a network switch, or putting wifi on your old computer, or getting the more expensive MBR1000 router.

Aside from being more expensive, the MBR1000 does have a cool wifi radio switch to simplify turning off wifi, and it uses a wifi N radio, which allows for amazing distance outside and around your RV. (the CTR350 also covers the entire 40ft RV and area outside, but MBR1000 goes waaaay further)
One more thing about the MNR1000 is that it has an expresscard slot. This is important for folks who must have a device for use on a laptop, and prefer expresscard in a slot, than USB sticking out from USB port.

Something you didn't ask about -- an amp:

Most RVers are going to find themselves so "out there" that cell signal is available, but too weak to provide for reliable connection, or any connection at all. An amplifier cuts down on how many places like this, affect you.

There are two types of amplifiers. One is direct-connect and provides the highest possible increase in signal, and requires an actual cable be attached to a jack on the EVDO device.

The other kind of amp, is a 'wireless amplifier' or 'repeater'. This can provide signal amplification to multiple devices at once (like phone and EVDO modem) but at not quite the same performance as a direct-connect amp. Repeaters are more expensive than a direct connect amp.

OK. The bottom line:
Least expensive but still very good system that should satisfy more RVers needs is the Verizon UM150 with portable booster antenna and the Cradlepoint CTR350 Router.

More expensive system that provides a better 'long-term purchase', more flexibility, EVDO signal range, and wifi range away from RV is the Verizon USB727, portable booster antenna, external omni/wilson antenna, direct-connect amp, and Cradlepoint MBR1000 router.

Everyone reading this, is welcome to call and discuss specific needs to better tailor your selection of EVDO gear!
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Here's our set up:

KR1 router with USB720 aircard

External antenna cable through inteior wall

External Wilson Trucker antenna WITH spring, mounted to slidetopper bracket

In addition, we have 2 wireless XP laptops and a wireless printer.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thank you all for your responses. I have talked to Alex Sian and am making some decisions, but have not yet invested. I am looking at the UM150, MBR 1000, a repeater and antennas. Since we have 2 cell phones, the repeater sounded like the more complete choice, albeit higher priced than an amplifier. Still thinking. We will see. Input is still very welcome.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote