Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Draining Water Heater - Crystals?

While winterizing yesterday and draining the water heater, I removed the anode to drain the water out. Forgetting to relieve the pressure first, I was hit by a spray of water. What surprised me was that I had a lot of a white crystalized substance all over me and the ground that came out of the water heater. And the anode was covered with it also. Is that normal? Is that just the solidified minerals from the water?
I have only had it since July and it was built only a couple months before that. We only got to use it for a total of 13 days since we bought it so we have not run an awful lot of water thru it.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Some may be minerals and the rest is from the anode which is normal. The minerals in the water attack the anode rather than the tank. Depending on the water you will have to replace the anode after 2-4 yrs.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bill: Here in north-east Kansas an anode rod lasts a season if we are lucky. Depending on the water quality (hardness) it may last a little longer (or perhaps shorter) where you are at / camping at. Be sure and rinse out the bottom of the water heater to get the rest of that 'crud' out of there -- they make a little tube with a bend end -- connects to your hose and then goes into the water heater to flush that junk out. As Charlie says in his post, above, the minerals in the water attack the anode rod instead of the tank liner. Be sure to replace it next spring -- some have just plugged the hole instead and have had water heater replacement in as little as 2 yrs around here.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I guess a trip to CW is in order to get one of the flushing tubes and a replacement anode. The anode looked like it still had a lot of life in it, but I am not sure exactly how large a new one is so I will get one just to make sure.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
They aren't very expensive so having one on hand is probably a good idea. My first anode lasted only a few months but the next ones have lasted a lot longer. I have used three in five years.
YMMD
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I should feel lucky, ours lasted almost 4 yrs.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
The white crud is normal, at least I hope it is, as I get a bunch from my HW heater everytime I drain it. My understanding is that as long as there is material on the anode rod it's OK, but since they are a lot cheaper than a new water heater, I change it regularly.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
You can get the little 'flush tube' at Wally worlds in their RV section; our local one also has the anode rods at about 2/3 the price of what I saw them at CW in Albuquerque. Do take your old one though if you can -- there are some shorter / smaller bolt ones out there as well so make sure you get the right one.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I will have to check some other Walmarts. I looked at one and they did not have them or the anodes. But there are plenty other WMs closer than the CW.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
If the powder is the consistency of talcum it is probably composed mainly of calcium and/or magnesium carbonates (limestone and dolomite)formed when their corresponding bicarbonates are heated in the water heater. The other product is CO2. The bicarbonates are soluble in water but the carbonates are not and they precipitate out as a fine white powder. If brought to a boil in a coffee maker, kettle etc they can form a hard scale. My experience is with boilers so I am not sure of the appropriate solution for a small water heater if any is actually needed. If you want to check water hardness take a sample to a water softener dealer and he can test it for you. He might also be able to suggest solutions if you are concerned.

Doh! You said crystals. That sounds like silica. Check your screens in the taps.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:[i]Doh! You said crystals. That sounds like silica. Check your screens in the taps.
Yeah. It was small crystals rather than a powder. As far as water, it has come from many sources including state parks, so the quality of each is questionable.
Good thought on the screens. Water was flowing fine when I put it up, but I will try to remember to check them when I get it back out.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #12
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
You can get an inline filter that you can install externally or internally. They are pretty cheap, have replacable filter cartridges and don't have a really serious impact on water pressure if all you want to do is filter out sediment. Here is an example.

http://www.waterfilters.net/PDF/Filt...e_Housings.pdf

If you go to the Camping world site you will find a large variety of filters. Just remember that the filtration size has a inverse relationship to water pressure on the outlet side. A sediment filter has the least impact on water pressure, a activated charcoal filter more and the bio-filters which often use ceramic filters significantly reduce water pressure and really are meant for drinking water taps not a whole house system.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Thanks. I did buy an inline filter at Walmart and have used it since new. Not sure now exactly how much it was supposed to filter. May have to try a better one.