Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2007, 05:05 AM   #1
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Step by step instructions for winterizing

We have a 2007 Mountaineer 329RLT. The owners manual is very vauge about the winterizing procedure. It states to pour antifreeze in the fresh water tank and pump it through the system. It does not address the low point drains, outside shower, or black tank flush. I know these have to be drain and winterized. This is my third RV, but first 5th wheel. I have always done my own winterazation, but I'm afraid I'll miss something. I can't believe this unit does not have the bypass at the water pump to pull the anti freeze through the system. I'll probably go ahead and install one of them, but the pump is located in the rear cabinet of the L shaped kitchen. Tuff spot to get to. Anyone with a similar unit have time to list the step by step procedure for winterizing this unit. Will be returning home to West Virginia this weekend and would like to get it done. Thanks in advance. Tom

TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I have a 2006 329RLS, it also came WITHOUT an anti-freeze inlet at the pump, which I did install, access to the pump, and hot water heater bypass valve is very difficult. I made access easier by making doors to the pump, and bypass valve:

My Winterizing Procedure(s)

1) Drain Hot Water Heater

2) Shift Valve to Bypass Hot Water Heater

3) Use Air Pressure to purge all lines of water

4) Use water pump to draw RV Anti-Freeze into system, opening the hot, and cold knobs on each faucet until anti-freeze runs out (don't forget the outside shower, low point drains, and toilet!)

5) With the water pump turned off, I then use a "Drill Pump" to pump RV Anti-Freeze into "City Water" inlet, again opening a faucet until Anti-Freeze flows, thereby protecting the inlet line.

6) Being overly cautious (as temps here in the winter can go as low -25F), I also purge the intake line from the fresh water tank, and use the drill pump to put some anti-freeze in it.

7) Any left over Anti-Freeze I dump in the drain traps (although when you open the faucets to let the anti-freeze flow what goes into the traps should be sufficient).

My Unit doesn't have the Black Water Flush, but I would use the Drill Pump to get it into the line

It sounds harder than it is, takes about 10 minutes, and 2 gallons of Anti-Freeze.

Good Luck
JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
That's pretty much exactly what I was going to do. My pumps in the same place, but you can access the hot water heater by removing a panel in the storage area. Instead of a drill pump I was going to use a hand pump that has a hose fitting. You can buy them at any rv store. Thanks for reassuring me. I still have some reservations about the water heater bypass though. Every other camper I've owned had three valves. One on the water heater intake, one on the outake, and one in between to actually bypass the heater. This unit only has a valve on the cold water intake. I assume when you drain the water heater, the water in the bypass line will drain out, but there will be not antifreeze in this line when you bypass the heater. Thanks again and I welcome any other suggestions.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote