Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2004, 08:56 AM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Talented Electrician Needed-Will Pay Big Bucks!!

A couple days ago, some talented poster here told me what I needed to go buy to make a custom plug for my generator and Montana!! I showed his post to my husband and he was perplexed. Needless to say, I threw it away as I don't want him attempting it .

Here is my generator http://www.hondanews.com/CatID5021?m...60783&mime=JPG. If anyone wanted to earn some extra money I know I would pay deeply to have a shorter plug that went into my Montana and then into the larger amp plug on my generator.

Any takers??????????

Signed,
Married, but not to a talented man who can be trusted with electric tasks!!!

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Here's another pic of my generator with all the spec's.

I believe the plug is a 30A Locking Plug, and then you guys know the one that goes to the Montana.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...delName=EB3000

Any takers??????
Old 06-30-2004, 01:37 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Not a problem but it's a long way to MI. If you buy the 1.3-30P plug at Home Depot and the 30 amp RV power cord from Wal Mart it's easy.

cut the off the male plug and strip back the wire. You'll find a black, a green and a white. Open up the 30 amp plug ... black goes to gold, white to silver and green to green ... the screws are colored.

I bet if you bought the cord, cut it back and exposed the wires, and brought it with you, the guys at the depot would help you to make the right connections.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:18 AM   #4
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
Montana Sue

Holman RV sells I think you are looking for. They can be contacted at 1-800-323-8677 ask for RV Parts. I think it is under $50.00 dollars. They will ship it to you.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:05 AM   #5
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Sue, you can do this!!! Do what Gruffy told you, his directions were excellent! I ruined the plug on my vacuum from pulling it out of the wall by just the cord (no, no I know but what can I say?) so I had to replace it. I was sick of waiting for Mike to do it so I did it myself. The electrical guys at HD are awesome and very helpful. You can do this, I have faith in you. If I can change out light fixtures in my house, you can change the plug on your generator.

Good luck!
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:22 AM   #6
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sectres

Montana Sue

Holman RV sells I think you are looking for. They can be contacted at 1-800-323-8677 ask for RV Parts. I think it is under $50.00 dollars. They will ship it to you.
I called them. They sell an adapter and this is how he described it. It's a 30 AMP Female with a 30 Amp Male Twist.

I am so confused Can one of you men folk step up to the plate. Is this what I want/need. I originally thought I wanted an actual cord to go from the RV to the generator and plug into the generator into the 30 amp spot!!!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:35 AM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Montana Sue,
I agree with Melissa, you can do this. Follow the instruction given by Gruffy it will make you more handy when need be.. You are just nerves go on and take the challenge.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:59 AM   #8
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
I made the adapter for the generator by purchasing the 30 amp female pigtail from Camping World and the 30 amp NEMA male plug from Home Depot. There is instructions in the NEMA plug package to show how to hook up the wires. It is how Gruffy stated. Black to the Gold screw, White to the Silver screw and Green to the Green screw. The NEMA plugs are twist lock type plugs and that is what you need to connect to your generator. Make sure it is a 30 amp. Anything different won’t fit. You can also buy the adapter from Southwest Supply. They are on the web.

http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHonda.htm

Hope this helps.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:12 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Sue if You are looking to get a single piece cord with a 50 amp twist-loc on one end and a 30 amp one that mates to Your generator then You are in for an expensive proposition. The cheapest way to get a 50 amp twist-loc is to buy the cordset from Camping World. Then cut the end off (leave a few feet of wire on it for future use) and attach the correct plug to match Your generator from Home Depot or wherever.

I would get a 50-30 amp dogbone and cut the plug off it. This way You still use the Montana's cord and adapt it in 1 step to Your generator.

Dogbone adapters run about $15.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:34 AM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

I would get a 50-30 amp dogbone and cut the plug off it. This way You still use the Montana's cord and adapt it in 1 step to Your generator.

Dogbone adapters run about $15.

John
Thats what I am going to do I think. I didn't know nor think of doing it this way.

Everyone here has been so sweet and helpful. Thanks so much for all your help and guidance.

You all have a SAFE holiday weekend.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #11
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Well, went to Lake Orion tonite for a boat ride and my brother in law wouldn't take me.....and my sister was slaving re-designing holders for her cupboards so her dishes don't rattle around. Anyone interested in this custom design just holler at RC and Samantha, shes taken orders.....

Richard did make my dog bone thingy for my generator. He cut off the male end and he put the plug that fits my generator on it, but won't know till around the 27th of July if it works as my rig is stored in Chicago. Good thing I didn't attempt it, I was gonna cut off the female end....OOOPS

So, everyone, thanks for all your help and suggestions. Your guys are the best!!

Richard is taking orders for the generator plugs and Patty is very anxious if anyone wants the dish/holder gizmo's. I guess their really easy to make and only took her a few minutes. Maybe she can post pictures. Love ya Patty & Dick
Old 07-02-2004, 03:29 PM   #12
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356

Just kiddin on the taken order's part.

Their getting ready for a trip and thought I would throw a wrench in their hectic nite.

Love ya guys..
Old 07-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #13
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Ha ha ha, sis. Seriously I am glad we could help. Sure hope what RC did works correctly. Like you said at least we prevented you from cutting off the wrong end.

I love you too, tons and tons and look forward to the day when we can have our Montana's parked next to one another again camping. I really enjoyed that weekend. Especially when the other sister & her husband showed up, my kids and their friends. It was almost a family reunion.

Now there's an idea. Do you think before the snow blows you'll guys have a free weekend from the horse shows?

I was so prod to read how well Krystal is doing on her riding, but of course I knew she would.

Again tons of love,
Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote