Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
Jumping onto the Solar Bandwagon.

Well, after chatting with a guy at Dumont that was running solar, I have decided to dive in. I've been doing a lot of "light" reading on solar (everything here, the love your RV solar install, and his buddy's install, all the corresponding links, Jackdanmeyer.com that was linked here, and everything I could find on google.)

First what I have purchased:

The 400 Watt Kit from Renogy. Running 8 AWG between panels to Junction box, and then 4 AWG to controller. 40 AMP breakers on either side of the controller to my buss Bar, 2/0 cables to my 4 6-volt batteries (planning on ending with 6 if needed) 80 amp breaker to Inverter, 300 Amp Catastrophic fuse between battery bank and Bus bar.

My questions are for the battery Monitor, and Inverter Charger.

1. For the Monitor everything points to the Trimetric 2030, tied with their SC-2030. I have found a few newer articles of people going with the Victronic 712 monitor but haven't found nearly has many reviews on this monitor. I like that they have an MPPT charge Controller that connects to it. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Victronic Monitor?

2. For the Inverter, I am looking at either the Renogy Inverter/charger or the AIMS unit, both Hardwired to a sub panel to run my basic outlets and lights only. No fridge or Micro at this point. I'm wondering if anyone has any other brands/options for Pure Sine wave inverter/charger. When I search for these, I end up looking at about a thousand different inverters but not inverter/chargers that hardwire with the transfer switch.

Hoping to get it as right as possible the first time, wife not so happy with the expenditures.

Dsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I went with a Go Power 3000 watt I/C. It has a hybrid transfer switch that allows the inverter to augment shore power or a generator. My first priority was getting the inverter right. My inverter is connected to all my outlets and the microwave. Magnum Energy also makes a good I/C with a hybrid switch. My battery monitor and MPPT controller is Blue Sky.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Your solar system is moderately sized and Victron may prove to be a pricey option with that in mind. However the very best thing about Victron is that they offer components that communicate and integrate with each other very nicely. They are also arguably the leader in consumer PV systems and heavily invested in R&D.

With regards to inverter/chargers the search string on the internet "pure sine wave inverter/charger". Simply add the wattage that you are looking for. Keep in mind that you may wish to upgrade the size in time. Both Victron and Magnum Energy have top tier offerings of very high quality. There are other options out there but for the size of my system these were the only two that fit my needs. GoPro is another option with a sizable market in the US.

I don't have the Victron battery monitor because situations presented themselves that placed other brands in my possession for price I couldn't refuse...

The battery monitor is a pretty simple component. It does its job in conjunction with the installed shunt. You won't go wrong with either of your choices. It may come down to the physical footprint and your personal like or dislike for the sequence of operation to get the information you are wanting to see on the display (how many buttons to push).

With regards to which inverter/charger you select make sure the integral transfer switch rating is sufficient for the size of the subpanel main or wire rating.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you do a lot of boondocking the solar option is a great idea. We rarely boon dock perhaps the Q every once in awhile and we use a generator. The solar option if done correctly is very expensive our electric bills here in Florida run 100.00 per month or a bit less. WE once considered solar but after doing the homework we decided that cost vs benefits was not a good option for us. We have seen some excellent solar installations among MOC members.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
We only camp at a campground once a year for our reunion. Everything else is boondocking. Most of the camping we do is on BLM land, or places like Dumont that don't have hookups. When we had our class C I think I used Hookups about once outside of our reunion. We sold the coach thinking of going to a 5ver 4 years ago, but with my work requiring travel we just tented it. Now that I'm staying in town, we started camping once or twice a month on the weekends in addition to the 7-8 time a year we have planned extended trips. The kids would live in it if I let them.

I purchased the monty in November, and we've already been out 6 times, including the week in Dumont. With the furnace going I've been running my little honda generator at night to keep the batteries charged. Hoping with the 4 to 6 6-volts, the solar array, and the inverter, I won't have to run a generator until I need A/C in the summer if I get talked into camping where it's hot.

Fireguy, thanks for your input. I am taking my time over the next 2 months to get everything installed properly, and spreading out some of the purchases to avoid further sticker shock to the DW. Currently I have the trailer in the RV garage torn apart to fix some of the wiring, add insulation to the tanks, and other odds and ends. Our next big trip is to Moab in March and I'm hoping to have it done by then.

The previous threads have been most informative. I'm just wanting to make sure there's nothing new that would be worth putting in.

Thanks Guys!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Dsull,

Good luck with your install.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Dull I am not sure if the Fed is still offering this but there
was a 30% tax credit from the IRS for solar system installations. If the tax credit is still on you may want to take that into account regarding your purchase time frame
Old 01-10-2019, 04:59 AM   #8
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi,

I am running the victron 712 and a 100/30 MPPT Controler for a mobile solar panel with 2 battle born batteries.
Love it.
Both devices connect via bluetooth to your cell and you can see actual and historic info.
they also offer a central colored display unit showing you all your power flow etc.
especially cool with a victron inverter/converter.

I run a xantrex freedom X 2000w inverter/converter as we rarely boondock and have all only for emergency and quick overnight stops.

here is one of the latest "diy" videos for victron devices https://youtu.be/nAbfIQwc0x0

cheers,
mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I run the Magnum Energy 2500 pure sine wave with the ME-RC control which does more then the Trimetric. I run the Blue Sky MPPT controller. What I like about the Blue Sky is you can add another to it, if you need to add more solar. If you have the space you will be better if you run the higher voltage panels. You get more gain out of your MPPT.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
PNW Guy, damn I didn't realize there was a credit. Today I went from one trailer to three trailers to do. My Mom and Brother want me to set them up as well. I'll have to let them know.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #11
Bfisher003
Established Member

M.O.C. #23201
You might want to check out Handy Bob’s blog. This guy really knows his stuff when it comes to solar. He does not mince words. https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com
I learned a lot.
B&W Companion Slider Hitch
Bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
rich3317

M.O.C. #21947
Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsull View Post
Well, after chatting with a guy at Dumont that was running solar, I have decided to dive in. I've been doing a lot of "light" reading on solar (everything here, the love your RV solar install, and his buddy's install, all the corresponding links, Jackdanmeyer.com that was linked here, and everything I could find on google.)

First what I have purchased:

The 400 Watt Kit from Renogy. Running 8 AWG between panels to Junction box, and then 4 AWG to controller. 40 AMP breakers on either side of the controller to my buss Bar, 2/0 cables to my 4 6-volt batteries (planning on ending with 6 if needed) 80 amp breaker to Inverter, 300 Amp Catastrophic fuse between battery bank and Bus bar.

My questions are for the battery Monitor, and Inverter Charger.

1. For the Monitor everything points to the Trimetric 2030, tied with their SC-2030. I have found a few newer articles of people going with the Victronic 712 monitor but haven't found nearly has many reviews on this monitor. I like that they have an MPPT charge Controller that connects to it. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Victronic Monitor?

2. For the Inverter, I am looking at either the Renogy Inverter/charger or the AIMS unit, both Hardwired to a sub panel to run my basic outlets and lights only. No fridge or Micro at this point. I'm wondering if anyone has any other brands/options for Pure Sine wave inverter/charger. When I search for these, I end up looking at about a thousand different inverters but not inverter/chargers that hardwire with the transfer switch.

Hoping to get it as right as possible the first time, wife not so happy with the expenditures.
Im looking to put a large solar system on my 5th wheel to. 1800 to 2000 watt.
I done a lot of research. I came across using Tesla battery! Wow. 1 battery replaced 4-6volt . Only 55 pounds. I’m looking at putting 5 of them in.
I been replaying every light to led. Installing a soft start on both AC units. Leaving for Alaska at the end of May. Have a 5 year job in Fairbanks, I know it’s a bit much. But battery life is like 15 years.
rich3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #13
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I have seen a couple of EV installs including Tesla, Nissan and Volt (Chevy). I like the idea of the hight battery pack voltage but I think you still need viable BMS. I also think the reduction in wire size and amperages more than make up for the losses from stepping down the utilization voltage back to 12vdc. I have only one Easy Start on my largest AC currently but will install another once I shake out my LiFePO4 install.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #14
rich3317

M.O.C. #21947
BMS

Your right about BMS! I came across a YouTube video on using Tesla battery. This guy is way ahead of any one I seen.
Look at his website—offgrid100@com
Please let me know what you think.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #15
rich3317

M.O.C. #21947
Bms

Here is a video on the Tesla battery system for a rv.
https://youtu.be/8VqidoxRB_E
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #16
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfisher003 View Post
You might want to check out Handy Bob’s blog. This guy really knows his stuff when it comes to solar. He does not mince words. https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com
I learned a lot.
I forgot to add him to my list. I've read his whole blog, not only is he knowledgeable he is entertaining enough to keep reading. And the info and comments are good as well.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #17
Bfisher003
Established Member

M.O.C. #23201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsull View Post
I forgot to add him to my list. I've read his whole blog, not only is he knowledgeable he is entertaining enough to keep reading. And the info and comments are good as well.
Yes, he certainly is! :-) I have also read everything he wrote, some of it multiple times.
Bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #18
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfisher003 View Post
Yes, he certainly is! :-) I have also read everything he wrote, some of it multiple times.
I just burned an hour again reading through some of them because I clicked your link. lol

Old 06-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
TLDR: Fantastic setup that is better than I could have hoped for. Have installed same setup on my brothers voltage and my moms Momentum toy hauler including inverter setup.

Figured I'd post an update to my solar situation.
First what I purchased:
-Renogy 400 Watt RV kit. Came with 4 panels and the charge controller
-Victron Battery Monitor
-4 GC2 6-volt batteries
- Aims 2000 Watt Inverter with Built in transfer
-4 Gauge wire
-80 amp breakers
-100 amp fuse
-Junction box
-Buss posts
-Dicor Lap sealant
-Various crap from my garage

Installed all 4 panels in the most open areas of my roof. Ran those into junction box onto buss posts. Everything generously coated in sealant. lol. I ran 4 gauge from there down bathroom wall into basement to charge controller. Installed fuse before charge controller since I had it. Continued 4 gauge to batteries through Breaker.

Installed Inverter with 4 gauge wiring. Ran romex from breaker panel in rig to inverter and back. Rewired breakers so Micro, fridge, and A/C are on their own breakers, and all outlets and A/C lights are on a breaker. The Lights and other outlet breaker feeds to the inverter then out the inverter to the Lights and outlets. Breaker in box behind breaker panel just in case inverter breaker doesn't trip.

So far I've camped a total of 15 days with this setup, powering normal camper stuff plus mini fridge by door for brewskis (Used to have Ice Chest there.) Have run Furnace all night for half of that. No power management as far as limiting use (Kids make that hard anyway) TV/Xbox use heavily memorial day during storms, and Laptop always on charger. So far farthest I got down to is 77% per the victron monitor, and had 100% charge at batteries as it sat by 2PM that day (hydro tested). So safe to say I have more power than I need. I probably could have gotten away with 200 watt panels but the 400 watt system was on sale for the same price.

I have also installed the same setup on my brothers Voltage toy hauler and my moms Momentum toyhauler, (Granted we hit a snag when my brother didn't check for wiring and hit wires when drilling through roof,) with the main outlets they use tied through inverter transfer switch the same way, and while we were in there, pulled HDMI to other TV's so they all played the same stuff off the DVD player. Mom just put the battery monitor in a spot by charger and uses her phone to monitor with the app.

Next upgrade is to 12-volt cooling stack fridge that can be left on indefinitely. Want to get away from ammonia based system, and conserve propane since I have surplus power.

Just thought I'd post an update.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
4 AWG from the inverter to the batteries is undersized for the 2000 watt inverter. 4 AWG is only rated for 65-75 amps depending on wire type and temp. Also you may want to install a catastrophic failure fuse in that wire whether you stay with 4 AWG or go to a larger size. Nice system hope you enjoy it.