Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
@#$%*& MICE!!!!

We had a mega mouse problem the first winter (2014) after we bought our HC. My fault. I then spent two solid weeks cleaning, modifying and filling holes and no more mice. That is until this winter. Two weeks ago, nary a sign of those little @#$%&. Yesterday, mouse turds all over the bedroom. Sighhhhh. I will say that there is at least one less mouse, though he just may be the one that didn't get the cheese. Looks like another big cleanup and search for that missing wide open mouse doorway.

Oh and Fresh Cab, Oil of Spearmint and dryer sheet didn't help as that one deceased little @#$% was lying in a trap next to a 2018 new Fresh Cab pouch.

Sorry. I just had to vent. I know what has to be done. Again!

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
They travel in pairs. You get one there will be a second
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
They travel in pairs. You get one there will be a second

There are two fresh pieces of cheese just waiting in 2 'special' receptacles designed just for hungry mice.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Looks like we got that family of mom, dad and 3 babies.

It appears that the belly Coroplast had pulled away from the piece of bottom trim at the end cap. The over winter light duty power cord had evidently caught on the exposed end one time when I dug it out of the snow before snow blowing. This left a walkway right up to the RV. It has been fixed using a double thickness of Eternabond since it doesn't make sense to pull that trin plus the Cocoplast is a half inch too short at that point.

Those mice left a real mess but on the bright side () the entrire 5er got a thorough sanitizing in places I never knew existed.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A number of our members have had good luck with the better grade of sonic repellants.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Just took care of a mouse highway, there are multiple prepunched knockouts from the propane storage into the generator area. While converting the gen compartment I closed up a dozen openings that led right into the underbelly. Used a can of black expanding foam,silicone ,foil tape but I think I got them all. I am now carefully looking in each compartment.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:33 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
Just took care of a mouse highway, there are multiple prepunched knockouts from the propane storage into the generator area. While converting the gen compartment I closed up a dozen openings that led right into the underbelly. Used a can of black expanding foam,silicone ,foil tape but I think I got them all. I am now carefully looking in each compartment.

Look at the bathroom sink cabinet floor where the water entry and drain are located, where the HW heater plumbing enters the RV as well as under the stove cabinet. I actually put a floor under the kitchen sink cabinet and added a floor to the bottom of the bedroom chest, Then there is the plumbing for the washer/dryer. Those holes in the propane compartments were covered with aluminum foil tape. I think I probably used 2 or 3 cans of Right Stuff foam along with a couple packages of stainless scrubbing pads, all after our first winter and hadn't had a mouse again until this past winter. I'm going to put some window screening on the basement side of the two heat return vent covers as well.

One positive - the inside of ours is now sparkling clean

Good luck! It's a never ending battle of wits with those little rodents
Old 04-24-2019, 04:53 AM   #8
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Did you use wall mart lavender dryer sheets? the lavender keeps them out. I use them in my cabin in Michigan religiously.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Did you use wall mart lavender dryer sheets? the lavender keeps them out. I use them in my cabin in Michigan religiously.

Whatever my DW has available - but suspect that they were Downy (sp?) I'll look for some Walmart brand this fall since Fresh Cab doesn't seem to work after their 2017-8 reformulation. Also a new bottle of oil of spearmint plus some monitored traps and maybe a good sonic gadget
Old 04-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I put a sonic noise makers in my silverware drawer. I don’t think it worked after seeing what they did on my silverware right beside the noise maker. Yes it was a mess. Never told my wife but I did take extra care to clean the silverware.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I put a sonic noise makers in my silverware drawer. I don’t think it worked after seeing what they did on my silverware right beside the noise maker. Yes it was a mess. Never told my wife but I did take extra care to clean the silverware.
Lynwood

Exactly the reason I put a 'floor' in that cupboard after the first winter.Makes you wonder what the RV manufacturers are thinking when they leave gaping holes for rodents to get inside
Old 04-25-2019, 04:36 AM   #12
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Whatever my DW has available - but suspect that they were Downy (sp?) I'll look for some Walmart brand this fall since Fresh Cab doesn't seem to work after their 2017-8 reformulation. Also a new bottle of oil of spearmint plus some monitored traps and maybe a good sonic gadget

You can never use too many. put them everywhere there cheap.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote