Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #21
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Tim,

What type of slide system is this? I see something about cables. I know Lippert has introduced a new system the last couple years but, not sure about this.
I believe these are Accu-Slide by BAL

http://www.norcoind.com/bal/products...de/index.shtml

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #22
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by arcateq

You can kind of see the lean in this pic esp at the window

http://i43.tinypic.com/oku4r7.jpg
I got the trailer back yesterday after the dealer heard from the factory. They said it was normal like you were told! The dealer (a Keystone warranty dealer) sure gave me the impression they didn't know squat about this trailer. He was telling me things that he thought the slide was out of square, missing bulb seals and where the brackets were if that was normal for the 2012. At least they tried to find out...

They did adjust the slide (as best they could they said) and it's much better... Bottom is almost all the way to the wall and the lean is almost all gone. It was by your pic exactly the same lean as yours. Have you had anyone adjust your cables?

However... and I am reserving judgement until I hear back from Keystone.... This dealer charged me $522.00 for adjusting one slide! All the other stuff was done (phone call, email and pictures)on their own accord becuase they were not familiar with the trailer... They said they were going to charge me and I have to submit to Keystone for reimbursement... Keystone did say in the beginning when I made the appointment they would cover the adjustment but on the day the trailer was left at the dealer said they will decide whether or not to reimburse! I would have done things differently had they gave me this information in the beginning.... not after the trailer was already in the shop!

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ufaozn.jpg
Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #23
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Let me guess. You didn't buy the trailer from the Keystone authorized dealer that attempted the repair? Is this why you were billed and expected to settle with Keystone?
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #24
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
I agree with wingerphil, I would engage in communication with the factory as well. Sometimes second hand information gets muddled at best, so your knowing what the factory things is the problem can clear things up quickly and maybe at the same time you can get the factory to communicate better with your dealer.
jetenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #25
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drsmart

Let me guess. You didn't buy the trailer from the Keystone authorized dealer that attempted the repair? Is this why you were billed and expected to settle with Keystone?
Let me guess??? There should be a sarcastic button!

I already said I didn't buy the trailer from them.... This dealer doesn't sell Montana's! All three Keystone authorized dealers here doesn't sell Montana's... The nearest Montana dealer is north of here who would deal like they were the only one who sells them!

They gave me the cold shoulder from the start when they saw it was a Montana and as soon as the word warranty was mentioned they were quick to say I would have to pay and settle with Keystone!

Keystone has been excellent mitigating the dealer's attitudes here.... My furnace went the day after I brought it home on June 1st where none of them would look at it until at least August so Keystone paid for a mobile repair that was done 2 or 3 days later that took him 15 minutes to complete. Kudo's to Keystone!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #26
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jetenbu

I agree with wingerphil, I would engage in communication with the factory as well. Sometimes second hand information gets muddled at best, so your knowing what the factory things is the problem can clear things up quickly and maybe at the same time you can get the factory to communicate better with your dealer.
I did communicate with them. They gave me an email address to send the dealer's reports to and will look at them which I have done. I have the email that the factory sent the dealer... They told the dealer that they are supposed to be (cables and bracket locations) like that so they should not disturb....

Sorry if I sound out of sorts.... I just spent the night and 1/2 of yesterday working and it's way past my bedtime. I appreciate your advice and agree with you guys.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #27
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 08UltraRider

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by arcateq

You can kind of see the lean in this pic esp at the window

http://i43.tinypic.com/oku4r7.jpg
I got the trailer back yesterday after the dealer heard from the factory. They said it was normal like you were told! The dealer (a Keystone warranty dealer) sure gave me the impression they didn't know squat about this trailer. He was telling me things that he thought the slide was out of square, missing bulb seals and where the brackets were if that was normal for the 2012. At least they tried to find out...

They did adjust the slide (as best they could they said) and it's much better... Bottom is almost all the way to the wall and the lean is almost all gone. It was by your pic exactly the same lean as yours. Have you had anyone adjust your cables?

However... and I am reserving judgement until I hear back from Keystone.... This dealer charged me $522.00 for adjusting one slide! All the other stuff was done (phone call, email and pictures)on their own accord becuase they were not familiar with the trailer... They said they were going to charge me and I have to submit to Keystone for reimbursement... Keystone did say in the beginning when I made the appointment they would cover the adjustment but on the day the trailer was left at the dealer said they will decide whether or not to reimburse! I would have done things differently had they gave me this information in the beginning.... not after the trailer was already in the shop!

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ufaozn.jpg
I have had my cables adjusted and 3 replaced. Two because they were starting to fray and one because it snapped. They were able to adjust it a little as well on mine but it still is not right. I even have one cable so loose when the slide is out that i can move it up and down about 6" in both directions and knock it out of the holder when washing the trailer. Once again ZERO answers from the dealer. Thats normal. Well its not normal I even sent them the BAL videos etc. They just look at me like i am a picky stupid customer. Lucky for me i did not have to pay anything for the adjustment out of pocket. HOWEVER now that I am out of the warranty I am going to have to. I wish i lived close to the factory because i would drive it up there and have them look at it. I still might decide to take my summer vacation in Oregon.

Anyway I feel your pain. It does not leak, and I will use it till it stops i guess.

On another note with the slides my top seas are starting to get sticky and splitting and disintegrating.
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #28
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Just a suggestion here, even though the Keystone-Montana warranty is only for a year, there are several components of the rig that are warranted for longer periods. Being out of Keystone warranty, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the slide mechanism(s) to see if they can offer any assistance. Based on the very limited knowledge and experience that I have with regards to these systems (our rig has two of the cable slides), my initial impression is that there is a problem with the bottom rollers that are impeding the slide bottom from fully extending. There is a service manual available on their site that may provide some additional information or at least be of an educational nature:

Cable Slide Service Manual

There is also additional information and contact info on their main web-site. Hope this helps!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #29
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Just a suggestion here, even though the Keystone-Montana warranty is only for a year, there are several components of the rig that are warranted for longer periods. Being out of Keystone warranty, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the slide mechanism(s) to see if they can offer any assistance. Based on the very limited knowledge and experience that I have with regards to these systems (our rig has two of the cable slides), my initial impression is that there is a problem with the bottom rollers that are impeding the slide bottom from fully extending. There is a service manual available on their site that may provide some additional information or at least be of an educational nature:

Cable Slide Service Manual

There is also additional information and contact info on their main web-site. Hope this helps!!
Bingo
I didn't think of that... I think that's a good idea.

Thank you Bingo it does help
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #30
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:I have had my cables adjusted and 3 replaced. Two because they were starting to fray and one because it snapped. They were able to adjust it a little as well on mine but it still is not right. I even have one cable so loose when the slide is out that i can move it up and down about 6" in both directions and knock it out of the holder when washing the trailer. Once again ZERO answers from the dealer. Thats normal. Well its not normal I even sent them the BAL videos etc. They just look at me like i am a picky stupid customer. Lucky for me i did not have to pay anything for the adjustment out of pocket. HOWEVER now that I am out of the warranty I am going to have to. I wish i lived close to the factory because i would drive it up there and have them look at it. I still might decide to take my summer vacation in Oregon.

Anyway I feel your pain. It does not leak, and I will use it till it stops i guess.

On another note with the slides my top seas are starting to get sticky and splitting and disintegrating.
Wonderful! Do you mean the cable is loose like this picture? http://i44.tinypic.com/2ica3ur.jpg This is the top right corner after the adjustment... I think I could see it in your picture as well at the top.

I like Bingo's idea and go right to the source... Perhaps it is because the large slides we're having the issues with is like he says... a problem with the rollers.... Not enough rollers for the size? I dunno?

All of our other slides work great...

lol... Maybe we'll bump into each other in Oregon next summer...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #31
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 08UltraRider

Quote:
quote:I have had my cables adjusted and 3 replaced. Two because they were starting to fray and one because it snapped. They were able to adjust it a little as well on mine but it still is not right. I even have one cable so loose when the slide is out that i can move it up and down about 6" in both directions and knock it out of the holder when washing the trailer. Once again ZERO answers from the dealer. Thats normal. Well its not normal I even sent them the BAL videos etc. They just look at me like i am a picky stupid customer. Lucky for me i did not have to pay anything for the adjustment out of pocket. HOWEVER now that I am out of the warranty I am going to have to. I wish i lived close to the factory because i would drive it up there and have them look at it. I still might decide to take my summer vacation in Oregon.

Wonderful! Do you mean the cable is loose like this picture? http://i44.tinypic.com/2ica3ur.jpg This is the top right corner after the adjustment... I think I could see it in your picture as well at the top.

I like Bingo's idea and go right to the source... Perhaps it is because the large slides we're having the issues with is like he says... a problem with the rollers.... Not enough rollers for the size? I dunno?

All of our other slides work great...

lol... Maybe we'll bump into each other in Oregon next summer...
Yes that is exactly what my cable looks like and its even the same side. I think mine is a little looser. Its tight when it goes in but loose when out. Reading all the BAL information tells me it is NOT supposed to be like this. Like you all my other slides work great!.

I want to call the manufacture, just have not had any time. But I will. Let me know what you find out if you talk to them and i will do the same.

Maybe we can get a 2 for 1 deal in Oregon to get it fixed LOL.
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #32
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
[quote]quote:Originally posted by arcateq

Quote:
Yes that is exactly what my cable looks like and its even the same side. I think mine is a little looser. Its tight when it goes in but loose when out. Reading all the BAL information tells me it is NOT supposed to be like this. Like you all my other slides work great!.

I want to call the manufacture, just have not had any time. But I will. Let me know what you find out if you talk to them and i will do the same.

Maybe we can get a 2 for 1 deal in Oregon to get it fixed LOL.
I just got off the phone with Keystone and they reviewed the case and are sending a cheque for the full amount. They also said they are contacting this dealer as to why he charged $522.00 to adjust one slide "as best they could." It sounds fishy to them.

I am big on customer service after the fact and so far I gotta say Keystone has made things right with the cold hearted dealers in this neck of the woods.... Awesome service Keystone customer service! That's twice they've done that now.

Food for thought.... I used a mobile service guy to repair my furnace and he knew these trailers inside and out... There is another independant shop that a friend of mine uses for his MH that he swears by. I am wondering if it might be worth something to use one of these to look at the slide and get their expert opinion? Since you're out of warranty that might be an idea if you know of anybody in CA??? I am completely soured by the dealers in this part of the country and if I can help it, won't darken their doorsteps again!

I still am thinking on contacting AccuSlide and see what they say... Will let you know if you don't beat me to it...
Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #33
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Greg,

Norco Industries just returned my call,

The big slides are not on rollers but wear bars that should never wear out. It is normal for them to sound somewhat laboring when extending. Should lessen when some momentum is evident.

The high torque motors on the large slides have a different pitch and are more efficient when running in one direction than the other. I can attest to this as mine sounds rough going out and much better when retracting. If you're still not satisfied you could check the voltage where it should be about 10.5 volts but didn't have the amps when under a full load. You can flip the motor over where they said the pitch and efficiency will do the reverse proving that theory.

About the slide leaning (especially in yours) they said the bottom cables could possibly be too tight where they are fighting against each other... He said we could try jacking up the slide back to level supporting with a 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 at the corners then check the cables and adjust as necessary.

Cables should be snug but not so tight you can play the banjo. Remember.... these cables are a give and take system... as you tighten one cable the coresponding other must be loosened. Once properly adjusted they claim no further adjustment will ever be needed.

I think if I can find someone who is knowledgeable about these slides.... my issues would be solved... I don't believe I have a defect but more of an adjustment issue that none of the dealers here are familiar with... The trailer is stored for the winter now so in the spring I'm going to find someone who knows these slide systems..... Norco even gave me their number to call if need be in the spring.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #34
Goliath-goes
Established Member

M.O.C. #25708
Sounds like your bottom out cables need tightened just a little. There are many you tube videos showing how this is done. I just did it to my 381th 2020 and the slide smoothed out and is square now I need to see if I can shift it back about 1/2” to center it in the hole
Goliath-goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #35
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
hopefully this was fixed 9 years ago
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote