Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2019, 08:00 AM   #21
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
... If I could just figure out how to back in the same motion that we pull out
While I don't have a dip, I have this same "path" issue with our new Montana. It's about 8' longer than our last 5er. With our last 5er I got to where I could put it in the shed without driving on the front yard. I haven't successfully done that with the Montana yet.

It's easy to drive out though, just can't quite replicate that same motion when backing into the shed.

CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #22
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Found it online. 96". Dang salesman is a liar. I thought I saw it online too, so I guess that makes me a liar now too.

I don't have to check whether the Superglide clears or not now!!
Pants on fire?
Old 11-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #23
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Pants on fire?
LOL!

Yup, guilty as charged. I lost 20 sg-ft of living space as well, once I found out that it was 96" wide. That was an expensive mistake on my part...
Old 11-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #24
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
LOL!

Yup, guilty as charged. I lost 20 sg-ft of living space as well, once I found out that it was 96" wide. That was an expensive mistake on my part...
Look on the bright side, easier to get into tight spots!
Old 11-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #25
Clark 2012 346LBQ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25245
I have a long bed with the b&w companion hitch. I have had no issues and I have moved several trailers for people in our area.
Clark 2012 346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #26
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I used a Andersen Ultimate for 6 years with my 3400RL and a short-bed Ram SRW, with never once an issue. I'm now on my second Ultimate hitch with a new 5th wheel. Same truck though. If backing through a dip, always watch the bed rails no matter what hitch you use. Also, I've never once did a 90° jack turn. That's abusing your trailer suspension and tires and there's just no need in the real world if you're backing correctly.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #27
bobsorrells

M.O.C. #23529
I camp in many campgrounds in my home state of Missouri with access roads with hairpin turns in them. I also winter my Monty in a storage lot where the parking spaces leave little clearance. I took one trip with my manual slider and switched immediately to the PullRite 2700 Superglide. I wouldn't have anything else. They are heavy. I'm thinking of investing in a hitch-mounted crane to take mine out in the winter time. My vote is a robust "thumbs-up".

Bob Sorrells
Florissant, MO
2018 MHC 305RL
2016 GMC 2500 SLT
bobsorrells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #28
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
I used a Andersen Ultimate for 6 years with my 3400RL and a short-bed Ram SRW, with never once an issue. I'm now on my second Ultimate hitch with a new 5th wheel. Same truck though. If backing through a dip, always watch the bed rails no matter what hitch you use. Also, I've never once did a 90° jack turn. That's abusing your trailer suspension and tires and there's just no need in the real world if you're backing correctly.
The turn around spot in our driveway is really tight with the yard on one side and the shed on the other. I should measure it sometime, but I'm quessing that I'm 70+ degrees on that turn. The front corner is past the cab corner, and I'm pretty sure that I would hit it, or be really really close, if I didn't have a sliding hitch. It's tight...
Old 11-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #29
Bfisher003
Established Member

M.O.C. #23201
I have a short bed ‘18 F-350 and have a B&W Companion Slider and so far anyway I’ve never had to use the slider with our ‘19 Montana and I have backed it into some pretty difficult places. But we are pretty careful and I like knowing I can use the slider part if needed. And yeah, this hitch is heavy (290 lbs). Love the hitch.
B&W Companion Slider Hitch
Bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #30
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsorrells View Post
... They are heavy. I'm thinking of investing in a hitch-mounted crane to take mine out in the winter time. My vote is a robust "thumbs-up".
One of my winter projects is to build an "extractor" for my tractor bucket so I can take it in and out much easier. I have to load it into the bucket now, and on the ground that's easy, because I just slide it in. But, then in the truck, I have to drag it over the rails (I have one of the first generation models), and get it in place.

I saw this on the B&W website the other day:

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...lifting-device

I have an extra kingpin sitting around, so I'm going to make a lifting device out of that for lifting the hitch out of my truck. Hopefully, it makes the entire operation easier. We'll see...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	369
Size:	604.2 KB
ID:	5008  
Old 11-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #31
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Love my Pullrite
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #32
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
I have had two Demco HiJackers with the auto slide. This is a heavy duty hitch system and sharp turning is a breeze. Years ago I had a manual Pullrite slider that was a pain in the rear. You had to be close to perfectly straight with the trailer for it to slide and half the time it wouldn't slide then. The HiJacker auto-slides and I have never had an issue.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #33
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
... Years ago I had a manual Pullrite slider that was a pain in the rear. You had to be close to perfectly straight with the trailer for it to slide and half the time it wouldn't slide then. ...
I never knew that PullRite had a manual version. Hummm...
Old 11-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #34
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
My Superglide story

While making a sharp 180 turn at a truck stop, the emergency breakaway cable pulled out due to the cable catching on something. As the truck straightened, the trailer brakes prevented the auto slider from returning to it’s forward position. The torque created by the 38’ trailer not wanting follow the truck, caused the entire jaws holding the 5th wheel’s pin to tear loose and slide off the truck. I’ve seen pictures of this happening to others both Superglide and the Anderson hitches. I currently have used the Anderson hitch on my last 2 5ers and love it. The weight difference between the Anderson and Superglide is substantial. The Anderson base is reversible to move the 5th wheel 8” closer or further from the truck’s cab as is the socket assembly on the 5th wheel’s pin box. I currently pull a 42’ FL3700 with my truck. I’ve notice no chucking or adverse effects from strong winds pulling the FL3700 from Kalispell to Phoenix, to finger lakes region of NY then back to Phoenix over the last 8 months.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #35
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Dang a whole winch operation it’s cool but I’ll stick with my Anderson !! Lol. It’s easy on my back.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #36
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
... The torque created by the 38’ trailer not wanting follow the truck, caused the entire jaws holding the 5th wheel’s pin to tear loose and slide off the truck. I’ve seen pictures of this happening to others both Superglide and the Anderson hitches. ...
I have never heard of that happening with a SuperGlide, but I could see how bad things could happen quickly if the trailer was not wanting to move easily. The hitch and king pin, and physically joined at that point. That was a bad day for sure.

This is definitely something that people with PullRite hitches need to be aware of, and always be thinking about. If for some reason, you ever had to your 5er pulled / towed by someone else, you have to remove that capture plate on the bottom. Fortunately, the newer PullRite capture plates are much much easier to take on and off than the original versions. On my old camper, the plate was held on with 10 bolts (as I recall), AND they were flat head socket head cap screws, so you had to have an allen wrench to get them off. Not necessarily a "tool" that you might have with you at all times.

Our new one is held on with a "capture" type bolt on the front, and a tigthening bolt on the back. They are both 1/2" bolts, so you can take them off with a 3/4" wrench. The back one has an allen head in it too, but you could it off of there without an allen wrench if you had to...
Old 11-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #37
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
While making a sharp 180 turn at a truck stop, the emergency breakaway cable pulled out due to the cable catching on something. ...
Forgot to mention in my last post, that the emergency cable is something that you have to watch as well. In our last camper, shortly after we got the hitch, I wasn't paying attention enough attention where I routed the cable, and our cable got munched at one point when sliding back. Didn't pull out, luckily, but messed up the cable. After that, I shortened up the cable so that it never dangles down into the working mechanism of the hitch.

It was funny when we picked up our current camper. After putting the locking plate on, I took the emergency cable, and quickly shortened it with a couple of wire ties as a temporary fix. The guy from the service shop helping us hitch up was looking at me like I had no idea what I was doing. I knew exactly what I was doing.

While I have a SuperGlide, and love mine, it's probably safe to say that they are not for everyone...
Old 11-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #38
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
There are a lot of good suggestions on here.that I can't argue with.

I had a 2004 Chevy Silverado HD2500 Cab & 1/2 4WD Diesel. Pulled a TT until 2010 when bought a Montana Mountaineer 326RLT. My Dealer suggested a slider hitch due to the 6.5 foot (or so) truck bed. So I let them install the slider. It's called an EZ Roller. On our first trip to the campground I slid the hitch to it's rear position with the RV attached just to see if I could do it and then rolled it back to the front position. Pulled for 2 years then traded the Chevy for a Dodge 3500 with an 8 foot bed. That is the only time I have ever had the hitch in it's rear position. I transferred the hitch to the Dodge. I have a tool box that sits on the rails about 6 inches above the rail in my Dodge. The Dodge also has rails that are about 1 3/4 inch higher than the Chevy. So the tool box can come about as close to the RV as the cab of the Chevy did. But that is in a very tight backing.

My Mountaineer has the Max Turn Technology also. If I ever backed short enough to hit the RV with either truck, it's a backing turn that I'm not going to be able to follow without pulling ahead and straightening out. My slider is only a manual but if I ever needed it, I have it.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #39
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
The rails that my slider hitch rolls on are a possible place where the breakaway cable can get caught on. So I always tied a couple of knot loops in the cable to shorten it a little. Then one unhitching I saw one of the tied loops lightly hooked on a bolt on the side of the hitch below the jaws. Then I read a tip where someone ran their breakaway cable thru a short length of water hose to prevent it from hooking onto stuff. Has worked so far.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:51 AM   #40
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
.... Then I read a tip where someone ran their breakaway cable thru a short length of water hose to prevent it from hooking onto stuff. Has worked so far.
That's a good idea!!