Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Campground Hosting - Ft. Mountain State Park

I just came from a meeting with the Head Park Ranger at Ft. Mountain State Park, Chattsworth, Georgia. Debbie and I will be campground hosts there for the month of June. If any of you are in the area stop by to say hello or stay a few days in a very nice park. The sites have been recently renovated to handle larger coaches and the bath houses are new and very clean. Amenities include a lake with swimming and boating as well as hiking and bike trails. The park has an old fortress with a tower and stone barricades. The builders of the fort are a mystery.

The park is located in NW Georgia and more information is available at: http://www.gastateparks.org

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Lamar,

Marsha and I have never camped at Fort Mountain, but we drove up there for the first time on MLK day, when we both had a holiday from school. It was bitterly cold, but we were able to walk around the campground and felt it was beautiful. There were a passle of deer grazing who did not appear to be afraid of us! Of course, I left my ParkPass at home and the ranger gave me a ticket/warning; still, that did not deter from the beauty of the campground.

We thought it would be a very nice campground to try once school is out in June, so we just might see you there. You have not had a problem coming up Hwy. 52 from the Dawsonville area have you? I have always been leery of pulling in too steep an area of the mountains since I used to pull my parents’ 31' Holiday Rambler with an old Chrysler and it would run hot on us. Based on my signature below, you don’t think there will be any problem do you?

Love the north Georgia mountains; we are leaving for a spring break trip to Unicoi SP tomorrow. Marsha and John will stay for six nights and I will for ten. They only have one week of spring break, but the system in which I teach offers one week of intercession and one of spring break.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
J.D.,

I hope you can come and camp with us in June. We'd love to meet you. I have pulled my 35' TT through roads much steeper than Hwy 52. I don't hink you'll have any problems. We pull ours to Pigeon Forge several times a year up Hwy 441 through Cherokee and over the mountains to Gatlinburg. Your truck can handle this with no problem.

If you do get too come make sure you look us up. We were campground hosts at Ft. Yargo State Park last summer and we decided to do it again this year.

We were at Unicoi about a month ago and really enjoyed it. I hope you have a great weekend.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Lamar, are you able to host for only one month? The site said it was for a minimum of two months. One month would certainly be more appealing. How many hours will you be on duty per week?
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:40 AM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Glen,

We are unavailable for a longer period of time as we are expecting a new grandchild in July. I think the local park ranger can make the decision based on the applicants he has for the position. Last summer we were only available for 6 weeks and were able to host at Ft. Yargo. You can always ask and the worst they can do is say, "No."
Old 03-29-2005, 01:42 AM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Lamar, Fort Yargo is only about ten miles from our house—we live about two miles from the Barrow county line.

If you can pull a camper up 441 to Gatlinburg, then 52 should work as well—the former IS a hilly piece of real estate. At the present, I would say Fort Mountain is a VERY good bet in early June as Marsha fell in love with it!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Wordsmith,
I hope it works out so you can visit with us. We'll look forward to seeing you.

Iowafan,
Our main responsibilities will be greeting campers, answering questions, picking up litter and also acting as another set of eyes for the park rangers for security or safety issues.