Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Dog and cat travel considerations

Never have posted in this area before, but why not? We have BooBoo the cat and Cody the Golden Retriever.

Both animals love the Monty. If we have the trailer open beside our stick house, BooBoo will appear at the door, asking to be let in.

They love to go for walks in campgrounds. BooBoo will trail along about ten paces behind Kathy, Cody and me. He has gone through dense woods and along exposed beaches for up to two kilometres.

We have a Sierra Crew Cab (the biggest from GMC) and the back seat is where the animals travel. See our sig picture. Cody loves the truck; BooBoo not so much, but he's fine once inside, and he's happiest if Cody is there with him (he knows he's not going to the vet). We put a packing blanket over the back seat, secured by bungee cords, to keep the leather clean (we're looking around for a better seat cover - Soggy Dog looks like the best option, so far). We keep a water bowl and big water jug under the seat.

Our 3400RL has a closet by the front door, wherein we keep a covered cat litter box. The closet door is louvered, so it doesn't smell nasty inside. We leave the door open a few inches when parked so BooBoo can easily reach his box.

When we get to rest stops, we walk Cody and put BooBoo in the Monty to use his cat box. We put a pillow under the pocket door so he can't escape into the bedroom.

Cat and dog bowls are just tall enough to fit in front of the pantry doors without obstructing door operation. Containers of cat and dog food fit in the pantry and on top of the cat box, respectively.

That's how we do it. I'm interested in others' ways and means to keep the zoo running efficiently.

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We travel with three cats. Diego 26#, Norm 18# and Bitsy 3#. On one side of our living room we have a "Cat Condo" that has been remodeled to provide three stories of room for the cats. Upper two floors are sleeping areas and the lower has the cat pan and water. They come and go during the day, but stay in the cage overnight (think of a 25# cat wanting to sleep on you). When we move we have a Dodge Maxi Cab and we have a plastic dog carrier remodeled to have two levels. The upper level is sleeping space and the lower level has another big bed, a cat pan and room for food and water. The cats aren't real big on traveling, but the behave fine as long as the road isn't too rough, a big truck doesn't match speed next to us or we go into a tunnel.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
After 6 years I'm still not thrilled with our litter box set up in the Monty, but I cannot find anywhere else to put it. We have a 3650RK. I put the carriers we use for the cat, Coal, behind Bernie's recliner in the living room slide and Coal loves to nap there. Mr. Wilson's, the dog, carrier goes beside the bed and Bernie uses the top of it as an extension of his nightstand to hold his CPAP. Coal's litter box is my frustration. I have it behind my chair in the living room slide. Of course, I clean it several times a day. I don't have a closet or cabinet that would work even if we were to make modifications.

I like hearing others ideas about how they live with their pets accessories. Good thread!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We travel in our 2955RL with our beagle and 3 cats. We keep the cats litter box in the small bedroom closet where a washer/dryer can go. Works great. DH put heavy duty magnets on the wall and back of one door and we leave it open all the time. Works great for us. 2 of the cats ride in the closet while underway, while a 3rd (the oldest) rides in the dog crate in the living room.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Our King Charles Cavalier, Maxwell, love to camp. You would think it is HIS Monte due to his blanket on the sofa, another blanket on the bed, his bone shaped mat holding his food and water bowls (the rack matches the interior decor) and his leash holder near the door. Of course when you sit down anywhere for an extended period of time, Maxwell will be lying on your lap. He starts dancing and whimpering when he sees us loading up the RV, ready to go. If we open the door, he runs straight for the truck, climbs up in the back seat (where he has another blanket and pillow) lies down and is ready to go. Maxwell is one of the main reasons that we camp. So he can go along. Our camping buddy.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our dog is the primary reason that we have to have a king size bed in the rig. Eight inches on one side for me, eight inches on the other side for DW, and a black furry creature taking up the room in between!! We have a medium size crate for the cat in the bedroom as well that I modified with a shelf, beneath which we found a small square rubbermaid sink tub that we use for a litter box. I have been wondering lately thanks to a suggestion at a rally, if it would be possible to modify the under bed storage into a residence for the cat? A couple of small led lights, and some home-made screen doors and windows? Will keep on pondering!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have two dogs, a cockapoo and a maltese. They travel in the back seat of the truck, and sleep in the bed with us. We just have to remember to pick up the water dish when we hitch up and leave. Since we spend 8-9 months a year in the rig, we use PetSmart for grooming. They have a national data base available from each store which maintains immunization data and exact cuts we like on the dogs.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bingo, can you please take a photo of your mod under the sink for the litter box? Thanks, Tammy
Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tammy, not sure where you got the under the sink idea, what I tried to say and thought I said is we are using a small "sink-type" rubber container in the crate for the litter box. The cat usually stays crated in the rig, unless we let it roam for short periods of time in the evenings. He does like to lay on top of the couches looking out the windows.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That is one of the reasons we picked the 3402rl the closet by the front door is perfect for our cats poopoo box because there was NO WAY we wanted a cat box near where we sleep
Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
You're right, Bingo. I read the word sink and my mind ignored everything else and starting working trying to picture how that worked under the sink because I was thinking that was a good idea!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #12
triumphess
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13202
We travel with Morgan and Hula, mother and daughter English springer spaniels. We actually tried just letting them ride on blankets on the back seat of the truck, but since they have always ridden in crates, they were really antsy. We got soft side travel crates (their regular crates are just a hair too big -- these flex) and they sleep through the entire trip!! When we were looking at rigs, where we were going to put two crates was something that I was having a problem with in most of the "regular" floor plans that I really liked. Our littlest granddaughter wanted her own bed, and our bunkhouse floor plan solved that problem for us! When it is just us, the dogs have their own room -- plenty of space to put their normal wire crates, toys, etc. When the kids come they all share the bunk room! The girls (canine and human) really enjoy camping!

Kathie
triumphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We travel with two dogs. Moki is a mixed breed about the size of a beagle and Logan is a Silky Terrier. Both are at home in the Big Sky. When they travel in the truck we have a hammock type cover in the back that loops over the four head rests. Both dogs are content with the arrangement and usually go to sleep shortly after we hit the road. When we just covered the back seat with a blanket, both were somewhat tense. I think the calmness with the hammock is that they don't have to ride tensed up to guard against the various forces of movement.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
We travel with five cats and on the road they ride quite well in the truck. We have a 3750FL and put the litter box in the closet set aside for the washer/dryer. Rather than destroy the closet door, we bought a door at Lowes, stained it to match, installed a key-hole cat door at the bottom, and used the new door in place of the original (stored for use later if we decide to reverse the process).

Our cats are all leash trained and love to walk with us at the campgrounds. Like Bingo, the cats are the reason we need a kingbed, 5 cats on the bed at night require a lot of room.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kylec2

We travel with five cats and on the road they ride quite well in the truck. We have a 3750FL and put the litter box in the closet set aside for the washer/dryer. Rather than destroy the closet door, we bought a door at Lowes, stained it to match, installed a key-hole cat door at the bottom, and used the new door in place of the original (stored for use later if we decide to reverse the process).

Our cats are all leash trained and love to walk with us at the campgrounds. Like Bingo, the cats are the reason we need a kingbed, 5 cats on the bed at night require a lot of room.
5 cats...WOW! We travel with 2 but, 5...WOW!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
The DW has her two Brussel Griffons. We are also French Bulldog breeders and travel with 3 French Bulldogs. Yes, total 5 dogs. As you can see in my signature, the truck handles the dogs just fine. One Brussel rides in a crate and two Frenchies ride in another grate. The bigger dogs ride on the lower bunk attached to the seat belts and ride with our son.

In the camper, the DW's dogs sleep in the king bed. The largest Frenchie is a crate at the side of the bed and the other two Frenchies sleep on the right hand side of the closet. We velco'ed plastic over the wall covering in the closet and carpet plastic over the carpet. They have a large dog bed and blankets in there. We have one of the wooden retractable gate to block the dogs in the area. Works just like a crate. When we go out, the DW's dogs go in the other side of the closet, setup just like the other side. The TV provides sat. radio for their entertainment and drowns out the other outside noises to limit barking.

The open floor plan of the 3725RL easily accommodates the dogs. We trained them to stay off the furniture, except for the dining room chairs they use to look outside. We have a screen protector on the screen door.

We make sure that we have lots of doggie bags on hand.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
In our previous truck, an '08 Ram 2500 we had the flat floor option with the seats flipped up. Our 60# chocolate labX was fine sleeping on the floor as long as she could put her head on the centre armrest so her nose could touch our elbows. She is happiest when she can be in physical contact with us. The new truck doesn't have the flat floor option so she will be sleeping on the seats and with a bigger cab she will be too far away for any touching so we'll have to see how it goes. Think it will be OK
In the old Cougar XLite it was a pain setting up and taking down the kennel so we started to let her sleep with us. Big mistake. Now even though she sleeps in the kennel in the house she'll whine for hours in the trailer until we give in. Hoping that we can find room, if we remove 2 dinette chairs, in the new mountaineer for a permanent place for the kennel and we will have to persevere in our retraining attempts.
She sleeps in the trailer when we are out for a few hours and have never had a problem although we don't leave her alone for too long. It usually takes her a few days at a new location before her eating and pooping is back to normal but other than that she is a pretty good traveller.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #18
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We're enjoying the responses. We had no idea that there was so much variety of arrangements and clever thinking!
In our own life, I'm amazed at the expense and effort we've put in to keeping two small friends happy and safe. Our vehicles are extra long just so the dog (present and past) has a seat to stretch out on! But, I have no regrets. Hopefully, our karma is good.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote