Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
IPhone 5 - APP's

I just bought an IPhone 5 yesterday and WOW. I can't believe all that it can do.

Who knows how long it is going to take me to learn how to use it, what it can do, but it will be fun.

I was wondering what APP's other IPhone users would recommend that would help when traveling or just for fun?

Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
One that I just used just today was 'Rest Areas" We have the one by "Allstays" Was not towing but was on our way back from Canada. Doesn't show how many miles to a rest area, but will show them on a map that you can zoom out to see.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
"Gas Buddy". Shows where fuel stop are and the prices.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are several GPS/maps apps available free. I still like google maps best though I think.
And also there are a number of good weather apps free. Great when traveling during stormy weather to see if there are any storms ahead of you that you might want to pull off and wait out instead of running directly into them. I like wunderground for the radar, but there are other good ones also. Mostly a personal preference thing.
I think I have 3 different GPS/maps apps and 4 different weather/radar apps.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Along with the ALLSTAYS I like to use the iExit app. Both should give you approximate mileage to exits and low overheads, rest areas, both give you options of how you see the responses...ie lists or maps. Your vehicle (phone) will show where you are by the "blue" dot if you let it use your current location.

Gas Buddy has the same option - map or list AND how far away from where you are AND will give you directions if you tap the map/nav tab. Also giving permission for your current location..

Oh, and if you use Flying J's/Pilot fuel stations they have an app. On both fuel apps you need to designate diesel "if" you use it.

There is a set-up for your own personal preferences on most travel apps. Most of all...have fun with them!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Weather HD. I am finding it a great tool in trip planning and using for every day use.

AroundMe, mixed results.

PassportAmerica has an app

HistoryHere

NationalParks by Chimani, MUST HAVE!!

Evernote, on the iPhone, iPad and computer, they sync. I keep my bucket list on there.

MyAltitude, a pure fun, sorta accurate tool.

GoodSam has an app too, which works really great on CountryGuy's phone, but they do not recognize me cause I have the same membership number as he?? Need to call them on that sometime soon.

My favorite, no doubt about it: MotionX GPS Drive. I won't even leave Tana without it, use it ALL the time, it has routing and will find services for you too, but, my fav is just having it on to show me where I am and what is around me, what road is that at the next intersection.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
The Puffin app allows you to watch flash videos on the iPhone.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use Allstays low clearance and rest stop finders, Pilot Travel centers and Gas Buddy to find gas, Road Ahead to find out what's at the next exit, Road Trip Weather to tell us what we'll be running into along our route, The weather channel and Accuweather to tell us what the weather will be where we're staying, RV parkfinder and Woodall's to find campgrounds and before we got level up we used RV Companion (the free addition) to put a level on our iPad or iPhone that would tell us how many inches we needed to go up and down. We have many more, but those are the ones we use the most.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
WOW!!! There is so many different APP's. I'm glad that I bought the IPhone months before our next adventure. This way I will have time to learn how to use the phone and all the different APP's that will make travel so much easier.

Thanks for all the info.
Marge
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Don't forget all the apps for entertainment, social networking, and banking on the run. Amazing all the things it can do.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Please see my posting about "apps for cellphones in general".
If you have a question about permissions for apple software, Look at the android version on your PC for the permissions.

Apple generally does not disclose this information.

The android OS being more open source the disclosure is more prevalent.

just some friendly advice Either accept the terms and conditions or do not install are the only options.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #12
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
They still make Androids? LOL
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
As a new IPad user thanks for the suggestion of Rv Companion and Gas buddy. My question is when I loaded the apps they are small for the iPhone and not large for the IPad. Is this just the way they are on some aps or is there a way to get larger screen for the IPad? Just wondering?
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

As a new IPad user thanks for the suggestion of Rv Companion and Gas buddy. My question is when I loaded the apps they are small for the iPhone and not large for the IPad. Is this just the way they are on some aps or is there a way to get larger screen for the IPad? Just wondering?
On the iPad is there a symbol .....2X? If so, tap it and it should go full screen. If not, I do not know.

Your other option, may be to take your 2 fingers and "stretch" the screen. But,"if" I remember that probably will not work. Sorry

Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
There are iPad apps and there are iPhone apps. When visiting the App Store make sure you have the right tab selected at the top.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881

There are iPad apps and there are iPhone apps. When visiting the App Store make sure you have the right tab selected at the top.
Sometimes, most often, I have found when I put one app on my iPhone or the iPad, it automatically sync to the other instrument. Works on my iPhone and iPad. JMHO
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Yes the 2x is at the bottom of the screen! Worked like a charm. Thanks
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The auto download feature can be turned off in your settings menu. That way you can download what you like on each device. Also, you can ensure it there is an iPad specific app you get it instead of the iPhone app. The iPad apps are designed for the larger screens. The 2X tab is OK, but is totally inferrior to getting the iPad specific apps. The resolution is 100 times sharper, and in some cases offers more features. Some apps do not come with an iPad version, so the 2X tab is all you got.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #19
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Here's some I like:

Road Trip LE Lite - fuel usage tracker

RadarUS - weather radar

Love's - Love's truck stops

Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Road Ahead

AllStays - ONP Walmart

iExit - what's at the next exit

myPilot - Pilot truck stops

RoadAhead - what down the road

Dog Buddy (free version) - keeps information on our dog, Maggie, in case of medical emergency

Evernote

WeatherBug, AccuWeather

AnyList - shopping lists (I never use a paper list these days)

American Red Cross First Aid

American Heart Association Pocket First Aid & CPR

Peterson Birds of North America

Free Pedometer GPS+ - compatible with uploading to dailymile.com to keep track of my walking

Most of these are free apps! Enjoy!
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just a heads up, the Good Sam app will only work on one iPhone per account. So, even tho I am a joint member with CountryGuy, he downloaded first, used our membership # and when I went to download it, will download, of course, but functionality is lame when I cannot input our membership # and our vehicles to use the full capabilities of the app.

Nope, I am not very happy, what good is it if I have a bad issue and cannot use the GPS functions of the app to have them find me??

Sorry, that is LAME!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote