Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > What's cooking?
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Pork Belly

I remember Dan Ackroyd and Eddie Murphy in the movie ‘Trading Places’, Louis Winthorpe III was a successful commodity broker in Philadelphia, who was left jobless by the elderly Duke brothers, gambling on his character. Louis was a dealer in Pork bellies futures.
Pork bellies and pork belly futures started trading on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange in 1961. They trade on units of 20 tons of frozen, trimmed bellies that weigh about 13 pounds each. Trading frozen pork bellies was developed to lower the risk to the meat packers processing pork, as hog prices vary depending on the market, inventory and time of year.
In the United States, bacon is made from pork bellies, the underside of the pig or hog. The rest of the world make their bacon from back and side cuts. Bacon from bellies is referred to as “American Style, or “Streaky”.
Pigs actually have two stomachs, one for storing food, one for digesting it, much like a cow.
When Pork Belly is smoked and cured, it is called Bacon, when it is just cured by the method of being immersed in salt until completely penetrating the meat, then rubbed with spices and/or herbs it is called Pancetta, used to flavor soups, stews, pasta or salads.
Because of the fat in pork, it can be darn tasty, I decided I would try to cook up some pork belly.
The top, skin side up, scored and rubbed with spices, wrapped and refrigerated for a few hours, then cooked at high heat in the oven for a short time to crisp the skin, (can you say Cracklings?) after that, slow cooked on a bed of garlic, shallots, carrots, onions, thyme, and fennel.
A de-glaze with white wine, a little butter added and your sauce is ready.
I will let you know how it turned out.
Oh, the Rum is for the Chef...

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Hey Ozz: Try this for useless info. Under 180 lbs. is a PIG. Hogs are over 180 lbs.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
bigmurf, the information is never useless when we learn. My research was rather lacking, I missed that.
Ozz
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Try that Malibu Rum with a little Tang there bud...very tasty. They also make a pineapple flavor Tang that's even better if you can find it.
We used to take Tang up to the boundary waters on canoe trips to save weight. It's best on a nice hot day.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hmmmmm, will do. Always interested in trying new combo's.
Hey Ozzie, did you change your business operation? I remember you were thinking of doing that.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Hey Ozz - thanks for remembering!
I tried, but the stars weren't in alignment so I went back to what was putting the bread on the table.
I parted ways with the grumpy old partner I had and brought on one of our semi retired neighbors to work with me. He does a real good job, but he's a chatty Kathy. I have to keep telling him to keep his tools moving...LOL
I'm much happier now working with someone that's pleasant and a good sense of humor.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good deal, I'd love to have you as a working partner, we would work well together.
It's so hard to find your 'twin' with someone in the trades.
Say hi to Pam for Sue and I.
Ozz
Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I've thought that myself a few times Ozz...I bet we would work well together. If only we'd met a little younger in life - who knows what it could've led to.

I'll for sure to say hi to Pam for you guys.
I don't know if we'll make it south this year, but if you guys come up anywhere this way I'd love to hook up.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

Try that Malibu Rum with a little Tang there bud...very tasty. They also make a pineapple flavor Tang that's even better if you can find it....
Now, that there sounds like a drink for retired astronauts!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote