Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
paulandrita

M.O.C. #8266
Dishwashing

After weeks on the road, we still can't figure out the "best" way for washing dishes without using lots of water. We've tried lots of permutations of washing using both of the sinks, but seem to keep using too much water. Any 'best ways' will be appreciated.

paulandrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Rita,

Paper plates! No, just kidding...in the past I've generally used my grandmother's system that she used in her house (and she lived during the depression). Two dish pans one filled with HOT soapy water the other with warm clear water. After scraping the dishes wash glasses first and place in clear water to rise; then the silverware, then the dishes, THEN the pots/pans. Now it will depend on what you made and how greasy/sticky it was but the two dishpans of water usually sufficed for up to place settings pots/pans for four people. It might take more with heavier types of meals/more people.

On one thread someone mentioned using a silicone pot scraper to facilite pre-cleaning the more dirty/crusty dishes/pots/pans. I also use one and that seems to help as well.

With using grills for a lot of our meals when "out and about" that saves on the amount of dishes and utensils so the water usage is reduced as well.

For what its worth....

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I agree with Robin, however I only use 1 pan for the soapy water. Put the washed dishes in the 2nd sink and then rinse them all at the same time. One thing we do to prevent grease build up is wipe out any greasy pans with paper towel before putting them in the wash water. It helps to keep your galley tank from building up any grease layer. The dish pan can be dumped outside if you are boondocking & allowed to do that or used for the toilet!!!
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Trick I use, is to NOT turn on the water full blast, let it trickle out of the faucet. Small trickle also does not spash the floor, etc.

The advice to clean the dishes off well first, get rid of the grease, and use one pan for wash and the other for rinse, ALL ideas work!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
I do the same as eeoski,except I fill the sinks instead of dishpans and use the smaller to wash, then put dishes in drainer, I have also found that after cooking in the Monty, if I use Palmolive Oxy oder eliminator dishwashing soap (the pinkish-red color) that it takes the cooking odors out of the Monty, in fact a friend once asked what kind of candle I was burning, when I was washing dishes.

Pat
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote