Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #21
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I received a reply from MedicAlert regarding their Gold Membership online storage, as follows:

"Dear Larry,

Thank you for your prompt response. The storage space for each MedicAlert Gold account is currently set to 256 MB. This may seem like a small storage space but in actually it can hold a few thousand faxed documents. When documents are faxed into the MedicAlert Gold account, that document is electronically converted into a .PDF file type.

Uploading images, however, has the potential to take up much more storage space that .PDF files. If you feel that you would require more storage space we can upgrade your storage space up to 2 GB for free.
"

This sounds good to me. After talking to my DW, we are pretty well decided on going this way, beginning now so we have lots of time to upload our files (I have faxing software on our computer which means I can be efficient in inputing our records) AND we will be protected medically from now on. The $9.95/month per person seems reasonable to us given the service we will receive and the worldwide recognition of the MedicAlert service.

Does anyone following this post have any other inputs to help us with this before we commit to them? I will wait a few days to see if there is any input contrary to the above.

Thanks to everyone for all your assistance.

(CAROL - With all the computer expertise out there nowadays, I imagine a medical facility can't be too careful with their records, and I, for one, am glad they are being as secure as they can, even if it means not using the flash drive.)

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #22
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
So many medical records are exchanged between medicial facilities that they almost have no choice but to trust electronic records from another facility.

But to accept records on storage from the patients themselves (not just a flash drive, but on any type of storage) is asking for trouble. It only takes one nasty person to bring your entire computer system down with a virus or trojan. And there are many deranged people out there who would love to wipe out their own medical records or a facilities entire system.

One last edit: when we scan new incoming medical records into our electronic system, we keep the paper copy (or the disk from another facility) for only 30 to 60 days, then they are destroyed.

We do backup the system each night but that's safeguard for fixing smaller problems, not an entirely destroyed system.

I hope this helps.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 AM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks everyone for a very interesting thread.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:10 AM   #24
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
D and M is correct. Viruses, Trojans, Worms, and other malicious codes can be stored on any media device and cause damage to systems. The damage is shot termed as the facility should have daily increment backups of their systems. When restored, all they have to do is put in the information for the day lost. (Guess what all those written records are for)Doctors do not typically use a computer to input information, but a form specifically designed for them and the information inputed into the computer system by clerks. Also, typically, the computer system in organizations have proprietary programs specifically designed for that type of business. Most doctor's offices use the same, or similar programs and can import and export information easily.

Having worked in computer security (forensic analysis) for NASA and retired this past February, I can assure you that computers are NOT secure. This applies to all media devices that apply to them. Now, you must ask yourself, "What is the risk?" Is someone stealing your media specifically to attain medical information? The simplistic password will deter the common thief from accessing your information. They will most likely format the media and use it for their own purposes. Only people like me would try to see if their was some "juicy," information on the device.

So, is your information safe? With a simple password, most likely it is. Now, let's put that into perspective. What do you have on you computer in your house? If someone broke into your home (trailer) and stole your computer, what would the have access to? Is you computer password protected? Most likely it is not.

Use a flash/thumb drive. Password protect the information and have a good trip.

Semper Fi!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #25
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
UPDATE: 11-3-07: After looking at all the companies, plans and options, we signed up with the MedicAlert Gold Plan. No up-front fees and $9.95/month/person. It's available 24/7/365 toll free and has huge storage available for faxed or uploaded records. It is also recognized almost everywhere worldwide.
We don't wear much in the way of necklaces, bracelets or watches, so I was a little disappointed that they didn't have MedicAlert rings, but I may figure a way around that; it's a minor point. Maybe I'll have the symbol tattooed on my forehead - lots of room there.
Good luck to all in figuring a way that best suits your needs.
Larry
Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #26
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Larry, if you wear a hat you may have a problem Thanks for the update and all your research, thats really good information to know.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Larry, I'm reading this just before having to go do some other things so I admit I haven't read this whole thread. So forgive if I duplicate.

I'm not sure why you need the records with you. Perhaps you do. Any medical facility can contact your home medical facility and have records faxed as needed. This might not help if you need those records when the other facility is closed for the night or weekend, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #28
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

Larry, I hope you do give in and wear the MedicAlert emblem. My personal opinion is the bracelet is the best as it's the most noticable to medical folks and it's a "no-fuss" piece. You don't ever need to take it off, unless you are having a scan (Xray, MRI, CT...). After awhile you won't even notice it's there.

Wearing the emblem is what's going to alert medical folks that there is medical information for them at their fingertips if you can't tell them.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #29
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
rouge - You're welcome - and I don't wear hats very often. They occlude my solar panel.

sreigle - 24/7 access is the main reason why I chose the MedicAlert Gold plan. I can't plan far enough ahead to get injured during office hours; I'm spontaneous with my injuries - lol.

D & M on the Road - We will definitely wear the MedicAlert symbol, even though we don't have any specific conditions warranting alerts, because the device with the symbol (necklace, bracelet, etc.) has the 24/7 toll-free number to call for our basic information. If it's a critical, life-threatening situation the medical personnel can get more detailed information after proper identification. Otherwise our information is protected from others.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs and interests.

Larry
Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Newest technology: Injecting a chip under your skin that contains all of your medical info. Just read about this the other day. They have some minor concerns of a reaction, possible cancer risk, etc. I did not read the article - just the headline and subtitle. My question, now that this has jogged my memory on this subject, is: how are those chips updated?

My dad has a pace maker that has a chip embedded under the skin by his collarbone. Anytime the doc wants to check how his heart has been doing the last 6 mos, he just takes his scanner and passes it within about 12 inches of the chip. Gets a total readout. He even can see when my dad went to the bathroom (was that too graphic?). He has had this chip for about 3 yrs now. Doesn't seem to bother him.

I guess I wouldn't mind this procedure. If an accident or medical emergency occured - God forbid - the medical personnel would have everything instantly - allergies, etc. I also understand that there are privacy concerns...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote